E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Maps/BMW Assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Maps/BMW Assist

Hello all,

Thought I'd share a problem I was able to resolve recently, in the hopes that this might be helpful to a broader group.

Recently, I discovered that I was unable to utilize the "send to car" function on Google Maps to send a destination to my car's BMW Assist/Messages inbox. I use this function frequently, since it's easier to do this than to manually enter a destination.

The solution that worked for me was to delete my car's profile from Google Maps, and then to re-enter it. My service advisor suggested that I enter my email address (linked to BMW Assist) in all-caps, which I also did, but I'm not sure that this had any impact. It certainly didn't hurt.

Note that the operators at BMW Assist will tell you that you need to update your iDrive software, or that it's an unresolved issue related to the new Google Maps format, etc. They were nice enough, but totally clueless about how to resolve the issue.

-TA
Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by TAmes
Hello all,

Thought I'd share a problem I was able to resolve recently, in the hopes that this might be helpful to a broader group.

Recently, I discovered that I was unable to utilize the "send to car" function on Google Maps to send a destination to my car's BMW Assist/Messages inbox. I use this function frequently, since it's easier to do this than to manually enter a destination.

The solution that worked for me was to delete my car's profile from Google Maps, and then to re-enter it. My service advisor suggested that I enter my email address (linked to BMW Assist) in all-caps, which I also did, but I'm not sure that this had any impact. It certainly didn't hurt.

Note that the operators at BMW Assist will tell you that you need to update your iDrive software, or that it's an unresolved issue related to the new Google Maps format, etc. They were nice enough, but totally clueless about how to resolve the issue.

-TA

That happens to me occasionally and I found an easy way to fix it (suggested by BMW Genius support). Simply depress the SOS button and once Customer Support answers, just tell them you depressed the SOS button to resync the system as recommended by a BMW Genius tech and then hang up. Every time I've done that, the Send to Car feature started working immediately afterwards.