E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good think I orderd my new Dunlop last week

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011 | 07:19 AM
Members

Ugghhh... not sure why but I'll attempt to explain myself here. Never thought it would create this much hate.

Yes, I gambled and lost with this tire. Luckily, no one was hurt b/c of my poor decision making. I new the tire was low and did not do enough research on the effects of the negative camber these cars have to know to check how bad the interior of the tire (tyre for the English chap ). I came from the AWD world where the camber is pretty damn even. Lesson learned, STFU with the lessons.

With regards to me being cheap (I prefer frugal) and reasoning behind my decision making, here goes. When I had the car delivered the (2) front tires were completely FUBAR. They had goose eggs on the sidewalls and they didn't match. After fighting with the transporter and the dealership on who was at fault, we reached an agreement for them to purchase (2) tires to match the back (2) that were the Dunlop 01s. They agreed and I ordered (2) gently used Dunlops online (could not get them to reimburse for (2) new ones and didn't feel like taking it to court since dealer is in IL and transporter is in SC). The 2 tires both had 6.5/32 of tread at that time. The backs were lower (obviously) esp. the right rear. It was around 4/32 and the other was still nearly new which meant they replaced one but not the other. Complete shit job by dealership on me. I new I needed a new one soon and kept scouring the web for (1) rear Dunlop. They would pop up on eBay from time to time, but I would either miss out or they would be plugged repaired tires that I would pass on. Finally, I found one and ordered it last week which happened to be a day late and dollar short. Again, I gambled and lost. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Now, as far as my economic reasoning goes and personal finances let me touch on that topic too. The comment of buying an Armani suit only to have cheap shoes is one I do agree with. Buying a nice suit and rocking some Rockport shoes is stupid. However, if you think Armani makes nice suits then you have no clue WTF you're talking about. Do me a favor and look into Holland & Sherry or Tom James for starters, FYI. Just b/c they have a big price tag does not mean they're better (i.e. these Dunlops). Which led me to my decision to buy a used Dunlop with 6/32 for hundreds less than a new one b/c I know once it is time to replace all (4) I will not be going with these overpriced Dunlops again.

So, I will provide my breakdown of the monetary savings since KAF said I only saved $87. New Dunlop $500 shipped + $20 to mount. Used Dunlop $100 shipped and $20 to mount. Savings $520 - $120 + $87 from running this tire into the ground = $487 in savings. New set of Conti DWS is $800 mounted using my local shop. Using my math and reasoning I'm over 50% in savings towards new set doing it my way. Also, I saved 80% to have a tire with only 30% less tread.

In closing, Diamond blows goats.
Old 05-05-2011 | 07:42 AM
Banned

Dude dont justify why you are cheap, just own it and be proud. Own the fact you are cheap and stupid and STILL able to drive a nice bmw. That is what america is all about! Congrats
Old 05-05-2011 | 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by Diamond
Dude dont justify why you are cheap, just own it and be proud. Own the fact you are cheap and stupid and STILL able to drive a nice bmw. That is what america is all about! Congrats

Yes, yes, everybody can hear you, nobody cares, please keep it down, etc etc.

Old 05-05-2011 | 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008

I am amazed how someone posts about his stupid decision and then attacks other members who point that out... I am not saying that I never made silly decisions but at least I do not post about them with pictures online expecting .... not sure what? Your "savings" do not incorporate spend time searching for one used tire, shipping, then driving to the shop, mounting. Then in few months the other rear will look the same and you will be in a process of "saving" again...