E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Glitches on the E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

1. CD drive and CD changer reset to track 1 for no reason; or CD drive just goes crazy.
2. RDS unticks itself for no apparent reason.
3. Passenger seat-belt warning sign comes on after the passenger has gone off. This has happened a few times, and each time my 11-year-old girl has been the passenger!!! Off the engine, and on again; everything will be fine.
4. Seat does not revert to my position after my wife has used it.
5. Headlight sensitivity.

Oh well, I will feel depressed if I carry on...
Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200272
Would I get another one, stay tuned , will let you know in around 25 months from now.
Interesting. I never buy a first-year car. I wonder how common exeriences such as yours are on the 2004 545i's.
[/quote]

I have been told the same, but I waited a whole year for the 550 - was going to get a 545 - and I just could not wait yet another year. That's what the warranty is for - but for so many of you in this post - it scares me to think -that so many things go wrong, so many MAJOR things.

Before the E60s leave Dingolfing they go through extensive testing and they run them up to 100K and another test runs them up to 160K (60 and 100MPH respectively) and supposedly they check everything. Yet, when we get them, major problems come up.

To me the biggest problem is living far from the nearest dealership. What do you do then - or having moved and your new servicing dealership does not want to hook you up with a loaner because "you didn't get the car from us"

Good luck to all of us.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='200870' date='Nov 20 2005, 01:56 AM
1. CD drive and CD changer reset to track 1 for no reason; or CD drive just goes crazy.
3. Passenger seat-belt warning sign comes on after the passenger has gone off. This has happened a few times, and each time my 11-year-old girl has been the passenger!!! Off the engine, and on again; everything will be fine.

from what i've read, the seat thing is normal. the seat resets to the last position used by the key. to get it back to your position you have to push the memory button. this is not a glitch but planned that way.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

My 525 has about 750 miles. One day my windows wouldn't open. I restrarted the car and they were okay. I am still having the radio cutting out problem. Love the car though!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

14k miles with no glitches. Only thing I have had was the driver's side door seal replaced. Maybe I'm lucky, who would have thunk it!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Members

My Ride: On order for November Delivery - 550 !!!! - Currently own 1999 E39 540, sport pkg, premium sound pkg, black on black. Previous owner of 2000 M Coupe, 1996 328is, 1984 633csi, 1982 528e, and wifed owned 1999 528 touring and 2002 525 touring. Looking at buying 545 or 550 in fall of 2005.

Window Anti-Trap Function error, every single time I start the car. Haven't had the time to take the car in yet.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='200973

from what i've read, the seat thing is normal. the seat resets to the last position used by the key. to get it back to your position you have to push the memory button. this is not a glitch but planned that way.
[/quote]

It's a glitch cause I am talking using 2 different keys. My wife will use her key with her settings, etc. When I use the car next with my own key, upon unlocking the doors, the seat **is** supposed to return my favourite position. It does this most of the times. But 1 or 2 times out of 15-20 times perhaps, it won't. The only way to get the car to recognise my intention is then press the unlock button again. Anyway, it's a well documented glitch in this forum.

Originally Posted by ManyBMWS' post='201176' date='Nov 20 2005, 07:31 PM
Window Anti-Trap Function error, every single time I start the car. Haven't had the time to take the car in yet.
Now, this is not a glitch. It's a problem. Some will say it's the motor; some will say need to recalibrate; some will ... But mine was fixed with a change of the motor I think.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

2004 e60 first year car..ZERO glitch 42,000KM
Old 11-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Dantheman' post='201212' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:32 AM
2004 e60 first year car..ZERO glitch 42,000KM
Hey congrats, MY 2004 with zero glitch
Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rob525i' post='200209
By definition, a glitch is something that happens out of normal operations but fixed itself after reboot, reset, or some non dealership involvement.

What glitches have you experienced with your E60? I'll start . . .

1. One morning, daytime running lights (DRL) stopped working. Setting was in auto and the LED light was off when it should be on. Went into a dark garge, the lights came as normal. Went outside the garage (daytime) and the DRL remained on.

2. One time, started the car in the morning. The engine hesitated and stopped. Couldn't restart the car again until I pulled out the car, and reinserted the key and restart just normal.

3. On time, closed trunk lid (it snapped in lightly). Drove off and trunk lid open warning came on. I think it was because I didn't close the trunk firmly down like usual.

What's your glitches?
Here's a new one that I haven't seen on the forum before. I started my car and the warning chimes wouldn't stop. There was no reported fault such as seatbelts, door ajar, etc. I couldn't find any reason why the warning chimes should be sounding. When I restarted the car, it behaved normally.
[/quote]

Once the key warning sounded all night long. No, the key was not in the ignition. I went out side for the first couple of hours just to see if it had stopped. I thought I would check it out in the morning. It was still sounding away! I started the car (start was normal BMW logo sign and all) It has not done that little trick since.

Quick Reply: Glitches on the E60