E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Get a slight knock in steering at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car dropped off at the stealers Wednesday morning, so been in the dealers two days now.

Had one of the techs come out with me and he could replicate the fault. Since it's being done under warranty they are replacing parts to see if that's what it is and of not moving on, till they have replaced the rack... I am actually quite keen to get a new rack fitted to the car, as I am planning to keep it al long time... More updates when I get them
Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributors

anyone tried PUMA FLUID?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Members

Well for anyone that's interested, the dealer has done everything that they can do apart from the rack.

Dealer has advised that they will now replace the whole rack now and a few other steering component's.

I am chuffed to bits...All done under warranty and at my dealers current charge out rate of 70gbp plus tax ($130) per hour and the cost of the rack alone 1300 gbp plus tax (approx $2700)..All I can say is god bless the BMW warranty. Only thing I am annoyed at is that the deal will not have the part in till next week and I am without a courtesy car as well...Bit of a pisser, but I would recommend the dealer any day of the week, Douglas Park in Glasgow city.

Will update when I get the car back...
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='678752' date='Sep 26 2008, 09:02 AM
I had that prob when i 1st aquired my e60, did a search and found this from bmw, cant remember where i found it now. I went with cause 2. ie. a squirt of wd 40 on the telescopic spline and havnt had the prob since.

::

Complaint
An intermittent cracking or clunking noise can be heard when the steering
is turned at low speed or when manoeuvring
Production period concerned: E65/E66: Start of series production up to week
29/04.
E60/E61/E63/E64, all right-hand-drive vehicles.
The only left-hand-drive vehicles (LHD) affected are vehicles with an N62 engine:
Start of series production up to week 26/04.

Important:The E60,E61, E63 and E64 are only affected by cause 2. Thus only measure 2 provides a solution. Carry out measures 1 and 3 only on the E65/E66.

Causes:
1. The tightening torque of the bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube has changed.
2. A gentle cracking noise from the telescopic toothing at the bottom of the steering spindle may be produced when the steering wheel is turned or when the steering column height is adjusted. This noise is caused by a slip-stick effect.
3. Burring can be detected on plastic bearing rings manufactured between 12/03 and 04/04. This burring can result in a cracking or grinding noise in individual cases.

Service measures:
Concerning cause 1: Replace the Torx bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube and tighten it to a torque of 28 Nm (refer to current EPC for Torx bolt). The torques in TIS are being updated accordingly.
Concerning cause 2: Treat the telescopic toothing on the steering spindle with a lubricant spray. BMW part number: 83 22 0 397
Concerning cause 3: Fit a new plastic bearing ring, BMW part
number 32 30 6 756 512 (see Repair Instructions 32 31
102).
Found the original post for the lube fix that cured my clunk.

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/viewtopic....=steering+clunk

Its was a bmw service measure fix, and i was assured that the bmw lubricant spray was as wd40
Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Members

Just had a go at this myself. It's dead easy as a DIY. Just one screw directly under the steering column cowel, undo that and remove the lower section of the steering cowel,shell, release the steering adjustment lever and pull the wheel towards you. You will see the telescopic teeth part. I sprayed mine with good ol WD and also sprayed the height adjustable spline too. put it all back together and it has made a marked improvement although not completely cured the problem. I wonder whether the special order lube actually is required but I wouldn't bother paying the stealer to do this as it is a 20 minute job and I am severely mechanically challenged I'll update if the problem gets even better or indeed whether it returns!!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributors

instead of removing 1 screw, i removed the lower plastic part, 4 screwed(near footwell), which exposes everything, i sprayed it all, but no improvment

When i removed the 1 screw you were talking about, i was not able to remove the plastic, how do u remove it? pull it down? how, didnt work with me. Did u use a flat head screw driver and punched it out?

Plus the sound sounded like it was coming from the steering wheel and not the column
Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Members

The screw is a cross head (phillips). Just undid that and gently waggled and manouvered the lower half of the plastic shell. I could actually see the toothed mecahnsim as you pushed and pulled the steering wheel so I just lathered it in WD
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributors

and it worked? reduced the sound well?

ill have to give it another try
Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Members

It has worked to a degree but is still just detectable. I dare say that someone unfamiliar with the car would not notice if they drove it but I'm a fussy bugger. I also put another 3-4 psi in my front tyres as they were a tad low and this may also help a tad seeing as it only happens on parking manouvres
Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributors

mine also happens while driving but making almost 90degrees or more. its killing me. you can berly notice it, but im a freak.I like my car flawless

Quick Reply: Get a slight knock in steering at times