E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Electrical Demons or Legitimate Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

I ran across a post on another forum saying it could possibly be a cracked solder contact in the IVM (Intergraded Supply Module). So I figured it was worth a shot and proceeded to pull out my IVM and sure enough, there was a cracked solder point. I redid the solder contact yesterday(7-20-2016) afternoon and haven't had the issues pop up yet (fingers crossed it doesn't come back). So if you have similar issues, you may want to consider redoing the solder contacts or just buying a new IVM from BMW (around $100-$120 through BMW)

Here is the diy that I followed from another forum (just trying to help people out)

DIY Integrated Supply Module IVM does not start Fix Free - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 12-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: engineer
Default Need help

Originally Posted by lincvert
I responded last week in another thread discussing what seems to be an undiagnosed demon in a handful of 545i cars.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...haft+%2Bsensor

I purchased a 2004 545i 6spd manual in April09 with 70k miles. The car currently has 100k miles. At random times over the past 1 1/2 years the car has refused to start - no crank, no feedback, just the sound of the fuel pump. With no explanation the car will start after continuous attempts. The problem then goes away for months at a time.

A few times the car has lit up the dash and then stalled. Sometimes it will restart, sometimes it takes 20 minutes of trying. Last month it happened to me twice in the same day, once on a major highway in traffic, and I began using the car only to run errands around the neighborhood. I had run without issue for over a month so I began using it to commute again this week and had no issues until today.

When leaving work the car started fine and then the increased emissions light came on and the car was sputtering to stay running. I was still in the parking garage so I turned it off and drifted into a spot. I had my code reader with me, so I pulled the codes and reset them. It took 10 minutes of me turning the key before the car started. All of the attempts resulted in no crank and no feedback. Once the car started I drove 50 minutes home and the car ran perfectly and the check engine light did not turn back on.

The codes were:
P0024 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0261 Cylinder I Injector Circuit Low
P0264 Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Low
P0267 Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Low
P0270 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Low
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0598 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Low
P2088 'A' Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)
P2090 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)

Due to the extremely inconsistent nature of the problem, I am reluctant to take it to a shop I do not trust. It would be too easy to start replacing the obvious choices - battery, alternator, cam sensor, crank sensor - and still not have the real problem addressed.

Has anyone successfully concurred this demon or know and trust a shop in northern VA they can recommend?

-Ray
dear have you got the reason of the issue , as i have the same of your issue and the problem not solved until now 😢