E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need help from ice guru,

i hear a whining sound only on acceleration and the installers can not solve the problem.they blame it on the amp absorbing the noise from the engine.

they tried re wiring still cant solve, i quite fed up already.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by nuvi360' post='327041' date='Aug 26 2006, 12:12 PM
need help from ice guru,

i hear a whining sound only on acceleration and the installers can not solve the problem.they blame it on the amp absorbing the noise from the engine.

cross talk!? shielding the amp might help! Build a Faraday cage around the amp lor and also i/c grounding.
what kind of installer is this? very irresponsible ler... i am sure they can propose solution. probably changing to better shielded amp design might help also!

do you realise in the e60.. you hardly hear your GSM phone voicing the hi-fi? that is proper shielding of the head unit.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

Zag, u keen on PI M5? Got 3 units coming in. Interlagos, Silverstone and S black. I heard selling at 405K but I'm sure negotiable.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by nuvi360' post='327041' date='Aug 26 2006, 12:12 PM
need help from ice guru,

Most amps are quite well shielded by their gigantic heatlink casings. Your amps are behind your car, right? Where did you install your line level converters? If you install it near your headunit and have a long cable leading to your amps, there will be a high chance for it to pick up electronic noise from your car during acceleration.

If this is your configuration, I suggest that you place your level converter next to your amp and connect with a short cable. Try to use a shielded cable to run your speaker level signal from your headunit to your level converter. The higher signal level from your original headunit and shielded cable will be less susceptible to electrical interferences.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 AM
lmk
Contributors

shiledings and cables mostly the culprits.
i suspect the input to the level convertors unless those "speaker cables" are changed to shielded cables. All my original speaker cables are cut and replaced with shielded ones, this minimised the first stage picking up noises.
that is the reason why i said, cables for cars are more important than Home Hifi...Zig remember? for both noise pickup and heat....

Nuvi, i can ask ah ming for you, but only after wed...
Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='327067' date='Aug 26 2006, 12:44 AM
Zag, u keen on PI M5? Got 3 units coming in. Interlagos, Silverstone and S black. I heard selling at 405K but I'm sure negotiable.
WOW!! From VC is it??? PML is letting it go at $465k???or maybe $445k..... should be around there right???

But FC 300+ km per tank.......
Old 08-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Members

Actually, on this topic of PI.... anyone dare to buy a PI car? I mean, most of us don't return to PML for servicing anyway..... plus the warranty is is covered by BMW worldwide right? Just that instead of 3 years, PI cars have 2..... the savings are actually quite significant.... when I was looking at a 530 some years back.... TTS was selling them (with higher specs) at $220k but PML's price is about $245k..... higher spec, lower cost.... do the maths....

Thing is, is the extra warranty worth $25k? How much stuff can PML give to make up the $25k?

Comments please.....
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='327146' date='Aug 26 2006, 08:12 AM
shiledings and cables mostly the culprits.
i suspect the input to the level convertors unless those "speaker cables" are changed to shielded cables. All my original speaker cables are cut and replaced with shielded ones, this minimised the first stage picking up noises.
that is the reason why i said, cables for cars are more important than Home Hifi...Zig remember? for both noise pickup and heat....

Nuvi, i can ask ah ming for you, but only after wed...

thank you all for the replies

i had the noise since day one after installing.

ah ming tried many times to solve the problem but failed.
he was helpful in trying to solve the issue but just didnt know what the cause was.he said it was audison amps absorbing the engine noise.

my amp is now installed in the spare tyre compartment but still can hear the whine.am worried that the life of the amp will burn out fast cos its dam hot there with no ventiation.

also the fuse have blown 3 times.

he put his effort in but failed miserably.he suggested to me to change to vrx ..dam.. that means spending more.told him no way i quite fed up with it all...

despite poor knowledge their after service is good.

i got more creaks in my car after doing the ice.they took my car apart so many times.

mr lmk if you could, do give him a call and tell him where the problem lies.too techically for me to advise him.

Tia.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GuruGreg' post='327169' date='Aug 26 2006, 11:09 PM
WOW!! From VC is it??? PML is letting it go at $465k???or maybe $445k..... should be around there right???

But FC 300+ km per tank.......
Vincar.... my first PI for my SLK and Edlee Jr's Golf GTI.... we are both happy customers - both pre- and post-sales..
Old 08-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GuruGreg' post='327171' date='Aug 26 2006, 11:16 PM
Actually, on this topic of PI.... anyone dare to buy a PI car? I mean, most of us don't return to PML for servicing anyway..... plus the warranty is is covered by BMW worldwide right? Just that instead of 3 years, PI cars have 2..... the savings are actually quite significant.... when I was looking at a 530 some years back.... TTS was selling them (with higher specs) at $220k but PML's price is about $245k..... higher spec, lower cost.... do the maths....

Thing is, is the extra warranty worth $25k? How much stuff can PML give to make up the $25k?

Comments please.....
Read back about 80 pages on this same thread on this topic of PI vs "Exclusive Distributor".

The warranty is international. i.e. by the Continental car manufacturer e.g. BMWAsia, DaimlerChrysler, Volkswagon etc.

Its 3 years and not 2. But 5 years of free servicing/labour with very well equiped, knowledgeable/friendly workshops which does not in one bit look/feel any inferior to the PML/C&C ones (but sorry, still no Espresso machines). These workshops are usually manned by ex super-CSAs from PML/C&C respectively. E.g. MBM WheelPower, JuzzforCars etc etc.

The aftersales I got was very very good and I parted (yesterday) another $14+K for more mods, with another $6-8K in coming weeks. PML never managed to make me part with my money that convincingly in aftersales dept (not even Brendon ).

You save $15-20K, more options at another $10-25K... treated not like an idiot unlike some well dressed sales at those "exclusive distributor"... and excellent aftersales and advice on how to make your ride better.

e.g. BMWAsia only give 2 years warranty to PML customers, the 3rd year is from PML and there is a list of super extensive exclusions... such as the famous or infamous "cigarette lighter charger problem" which I was told should not be used to charge devices - as the warranty doesn't cover it!!!

Yes I got Christmas, Birthday cards from the "exclusive sales".... but they dunno their new products more than we do. My PI sales till today still serves me. Helps me send car in for service jobs, and on 1 occasion topped up my half tank to full! Had a dink during the 1K service and he got it taken care of at my home the very next day... what more can you ask for?

They believe in Avis' slogon : "We are not #1, but we try harder"......

More comments pls?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans