E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='307866' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention, PI car does not come with that extension flap (equivalent to BMW's wing flap?), which had an opening that cools and complements the dual clutch DSG gear box in VW. Thats why what you see is just a plastic cover at Vincar. Previously some cars at C&C also did not come with the flaps, and C&C is under obligation to install them for free. Without the VW extension flaps do you think GTI can hit 0-100 in 6.9s? I have a friend who upgraded to an after-market extension flap that does the 0-100 in 6.2s. Unfortunately for BMW, we need to have an IDT certification before the wing flap can be retrofit into our E60s. If the policy is so inflexible, I am sure many will flock to VW which had the flap as a standard.
Tategoi,

That's why you can see my signature. Don't need to put some much things one! Just mentioned version 3.1 Wing Flaps enough liao. That will be enough to override all the rest of the mods.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='307933' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:30 PM
Tategoi,

That's why you can see my signature. Don't need to put some much things one! Just mentioned version 3.1 Wing Flaps enough liao. That will be enough to override all the rest of the mods.
There is already a Wing Flap version 3.15. There are some software bugs in versions 3.x. That is why I'm still hanging on to version 2.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Hi RSLK,

reverse camera in? or just iPod & TV?
how's the install?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='308190' date='Jul 8 2006, 01:26 PM
Hi RSLK,

reverse camera in? or just iPod & TV?
how's the install?
They did it over 2 consecutive nights... it has the following now:

1) Reverse camera activated by a hidden switch (without the need to first engage Reverse Gear).. so can see who is trailing behind you on the road... or if your rear has cleared a yellow box or not...

2) Video Interface with additional spare video cable in the Glove Compartment, so that I can put a small portable DVD player for those long DVD movies which need not go thru iPod pre-compression and storage.

3) Twin antenna digital TV Tuner for Mobile TV, Singapore's Channel 5, 8, U and CNA. The MobileTV was confirmed working at speed in excess of 100km/h... But the other channels were jerky...

4) iPod with Universal Base hidden in Ashtray with a Fibre Optic cable to route the "line of sight" thru a small opening at the seams of the Gear box leather cover. This allows the iPod remote to function for (Play/Pause, Volume Up/Down, Track Change and Menu selection). * All of you who have done the ashtray iPod thing should do this simple mod at the cost of a cheap and short Audio Optical Cable

5) To avoid accidental depressing of the DTC/DSC and PDC buttons, two "RK" stoppers were pasted next to these buttons, dimensions 6mm diameter with recessed height of 3mm.

Total damage:

Parts = S$950+180+8+246+273 = S$1657
Labour = S$440
Total = S$2097

Additional mod to make the Reverse Camera really work....

- Install laser pen to flash the boundary lines where your rear wheels are expected to move... this would be aligned with real world objects such as two cars on either side of the parking lot, or a pillar or the wheel stoppers etc.

- The laser would be attached just to the left/right side of the Camera and be activated by a separate switch.

Will reload better quality pictures later.. pardon these grainy Nokia N70 2MP photos...
E60 for Singaporeans-rkbuttons.jpg
E60 for Singaporeans-ipodopticalcable.jpg
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

hey! i like the darth vader laser pen idea
tell me when it's done

you forgot to tell your wife about the reverse camera is it?
when my wife asked her she said no camera installed yet
(or your switch is just too well hidden)
Old 07-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Senior Members

On the S$42 Garmin Low Profile Antenna:

I have also seen a 2 metre accuracy... and the locking in of Satellites after a Cold Start was much much faster than without... Apparently it helps when navigating on roads with tall buildings on either side.. such as our CBD...

Notice also that my speed were not exactly slow... the 3 metre accuracy was going in excess of 80km/h...

E60 for Singaporeans-3maccuracy.jpg
E60 for Singaporeans-allsatlocked.jpg
Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by RSLK' post='308446' date='Jul 9 2006, 04:44 PM
They did it over 2 consecutive nights... it has the following now:

1) Reverse camera activated by a hidden switch (without the need to first engage Reverse Gear).. so can see who is trailing behind you on the road... or if your rear has cleared a yellow box or not...

2) Video Interface with additional spare video cable in the Glove Compartment, so that I can put a small portable DVD player for those long DVD movies which need not go thru iPod pre-compression and storage.

3) Twin antenna digital TV Tuner for Mobile TV, Singapore's Channel 5, 8, U and CNA. The MobileTV was confirmed working at speed in excess of 100km/h... But the other channels were jerky...

4) iPod with Universal Base hidden in Ashtray with a Fibre Optic cable to route the "line of sight" thru a small opening at the seams of the Gear box leather cover. This allows the iPod remote to function for (Play/Pause, Volume Up/Down, Track Change and Menu selection). * All of you who have done the ashtray iPod thing should do this simple mod at the cost of a cheap and short Audio Optical Cable[color=#3333FF]

5) To avoid accidental depressing of the DTC/DSC and PDC buttons, two "RK" stoppers were pasted next to these buttons, dimensions 6mm diameter with recessed height of 3mm.
Total damage:

Parts = S$950+180+8+246+273 = S$1657
Labour = S$440
Total = S$2097

Additional mod to make the Reverse Camera really work....

- Install laser pen to flash the boundary lines where your rear wheels are expected to move... this would be aligned with real world objects such as two cars on either side of the parking lot, or a pillar or the wheel stoppers etc.

- The laser would be attached just to the left/right side of the Camera and be activated by a separate switch.

Will try to get pictures once the weather turns better...
Attachment 21539
Attachment 21540
RSLK,
Nice work.
I just bought the idrive controller and would arrive sometime next week. It would eliminate the remote controller that we are using. This module enables the iDrive knob to switch between video source instead of the current method which we are using through the remote controller.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by RSLK' post='308469' date='Jul 9 2006, 07:24 PM
On the S$42 Garmin Low Profile Antenna:

I have ever seen a 2m accuracy... and the locking in of Satellites after a Cold Start was much much faster...
Nuvi acted up on Robinsons Road and some parts of Sheton Way. Apparently reception around high rise buildings arent too good. Nuvi's routing went haywire. Has anyone of you experienced the problems I faced in town? Considering buying the external antenna now. RSLK, how did you mount the external antenna? Did you have to cut any holes in your ride to mount the antenna?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

nice work richard. i like the apple controller mod.

the 2 RK buttons. why do you need 2?

the picture quality doesnt do your mod justice
Old 07-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='308475' date='Jul 9 2006, 07:57 PM
nice work richard. i like the apple controller mod.

the 2 RK buttons. why do you need 2?

the picture quality doesnt do your mod justice
Picture Quality - blame in on Nokia N70...

Just like our Wing Flaps, the RK Buttons work best as a pair.. to balance out the pressure...

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans