E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='264402' date='Apr 4 2006, 08:26 PM
I just realised that clicking some of your car features leads me to the picture. Saw you GPS quite interesting. Mind sharing when you install it and the financial damage? The original for PML is to expensive.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. It is a handheld one, battery operated, no need to install, just need a car holder like one for a handphone. S$800+ for the hardware, but the best part is, the maps are free, and they are updated very frequent, or as and when there are new roads opened.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:55 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='268982' date='Apr 14 2006, 08:51 PM
I was excited for 2 mins until I found out that I am gonna loose my CD changers. WTF.

BTW, did you manage to find out how can we buy the S$100 chiong M rims in China?
i did not go Shengyang this time, but i asked my friend to check on it.
he will come back to me.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='269320' date='Apr 15 2006, 10:55 AM
i did not go Shengyang this time, but i asked my friend to check on it.
he will come back to me.
Frankly I'm not sure if you guys really want to take this kinda risk. I've a client who imports furniture from China and he complains that every shipment he receives, there is at least 50% written off. An example is coffee table with one leg shorter than others.

Think very carefully before embarking on such a venture.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

ed is right. my dad in law imports plastic containers from china & faces alot of QC issues
Old 04-15-2006, 04:44 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='269386' date='Apr 15 2006, 05:09 PM
Frankly I'm not sure if you guys really want to take this kinda risk. I've a client who imports furniture from China and he complains that every shipment he receives, there is at least 50% written off. An example is coffee table with one leg shorter than others.

Think very carefully before embarking on such a venture.
true...that is why i am always there to make sure things are done my way.

i got another story...

my indonesia friend confirmed 3 containers load of slippers which is worth about 100K usd.
he checked the quality and design is way above what his indonesia factory can do.
goods made, goods shipped.

all three containers arrived jkt.

upon inspection, all three containers of slippers passed his QC and design, but only one problem.

ALL slippers supplied are LEFT slippers....to complete the order, he has to buy another 3 containers worth of RIGHT slippers!

as to the rims, the one i visited is the agent that supplies Chinese BMW frnachise workshop. legally, this factory can only sell / supply to companies outside China as he is in the tax free zone.
there maybe alot more to find out but few hundred dollars is indeed very "cheap".
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tategoi' post='268983' date='Apr 14 2006, 08:59 PM
Hi, sorry for the late reply. It is a handheld one, battery operated, no need to install, just need a car holder like one for a handphone. S$800+ for the hardware, but the best part is, the maps are free, and they are updated very frequent, or as and when there are new roads opened.
Hi Tategoi,

If it is useful, I don't mind getting one. Mind PM me where to get it?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='269426' date='Apr 15 2006, 08:44 PM
true...that is why i am always there to make sure things are done my way.

i got another story...

my indonesia friend confirmed 3 containers load of slippers which is worth about 100K usd.
he checked the quality and design is way above what his indonesia factory can do.
goods made, goods shipped.
all three containers arrived jkt.

upon inspection, all three containers of slippers passed his QC and design, but only one problem.
ALL slippers supplied are LEFT slippers....to complete the order, he has to buy another 3 containers worth of RIGHT slippers!

as to the rims, the one i visited is the agent that supplies Chinese BMW frnachise workshop. legally, this factory can only sell / supply to companies outside China as he is in the tax free zone.
there maybe alot more to find out but few hundred dollars is indeed very "cheap".
Ah, no worry about left or right for rims, we do rotation every 10k, don't we? On a serious note, if the rims had already been tested on roads and no major issues crop up, I am keen to explore further. But for sure I won't be running them on NS at 230Km/h.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tcc39' post='269431' date='Apr 15 2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Tategoi,

If it is useful, I don't mind getting one. Mind PM me where to get it?

Thank you in advance.
Perfect Watch at Sim Lim Square first floor. The model is Garmin gpsmap60cs. If you can wait and don't mind an export set, you may buy from Amazon for less than US$400, and it includes free US maps.

Amazon.com Product Description

The GPSMap 60CS is packed with navigational features, but Garmin knows that a great device has to go beyond a simple color display to be the cream of the crop. With that, Garmin has upped the ante on this lightweight, rugged, waterproof unit, offering a 256-color, highly reflective display that provides easy viewing in almost any lighting condition, including bright sunlight. This transreflective TFT, 2.6-inch-diagonal screen provides excellent viewing while maximizing battery life (up to twenty hours with typical use).

The GPSMap 60CS adds two premium features to the basic design of the less expensive 60C model: an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter, both crucial for highland adventures. These sensors, when combined with GPS technology, provide enhanced bearing and elevation readings. A barometric sensor with automatic pressure readings allows you to view changes in pressure for a set period of time. With the elevation computer, you can find current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum and maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, and average and maximum ascent and descent rate. The trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more.

The WAAS GPS receiver has an accuracy of 10 feet in North America. With the 50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points, and 500 waypoints, you're sure to have enough tools to find your way. A fast processor allows the 60CS to provide quick auto-routing, turn-by-turn directions, and audio alerts when the unit uses optional MapSource software, which can be stored on the 56 MB of internal memory. Downloading information is quick with the USB or serial port interfaces. By using the dedicated serial port, the GPSMap 60CS can share navigation instructions with repeaters, plotters, and autopilots. The four-position rocker pad and dedicated high-use buttons make navigating through the unit's features easy, even when your fingers are cold or wet.

The GPSMap 60CS is also packed with some extra fun features. An integrated outdoor calendar provides ideal hunting and fishing times, plus moon rise/set/location information. There is a dedicated geocaching mode for those of you into the popular, GPS community treasure hunt game. And finally, there are indoor/outdoor GPS games to help you and your friends enjoy the outdoors.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
lmk
Contributors

just to add a note:

Singapore Garmin distributor, O'Connors has already brought in the Singapore verison with SIngapore / Malaysia maps built in. it can track up right to the units and block numbers address in singapore.
personally i have not tried it but there are alot of GPS enthusiats tried it out already and they love it.
check it out in sim lim, they should be selling it already now.

with this plus the ever updated mal/sin maps, you'll love your garmin!

the one we have in our BMW's including the 1K plus updated version i paid for my 7'er...is useless!

Although some people in the garmin forum stated there are blocks and units included in singapore map, i tried the sample map on this link, no blocks were shown.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSourc...ctMalaysia.jsp#
Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I don't even see my place which has been around for 4 years; but could see the neighbour site which has been around maybe 8-9 years.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans