E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oZZo' post='251611' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Guys

Just when I've made up my mind to take the plunge for 523, here comes the Yin & Yang case. But I guess I'm a sucker for the "Ultimate Driving Machine"!

The current price of 523 is $175K. Can another let me know what is the best deal I can squeeze out from PML?

Thanks

oZZo

Have you tried playing the Lexus GS300 card against them? Or the fact that Merc is offering upgrades to E280 from a E240 or something like that. I think you have a good chance to squeeze it below $170K eg. high S$160s. BUT if they try and offer you one of them Aerospace cars, don't even go near....
Old 03-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by eggz' post='251871' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:30 PM
Have you tried playing the Lexus GS300 card against them? Or the fact that Merc is offering upgrades to E280 from a E240 or something like that. I think you have a good chance to squeeze it below $170K eg. high S$160s. BUT if they try and offer you one of them Aerospace cars, don't even go near....
The last I heard, only 1 or 2 white units left. Claimed to be completely new and not used at the event. Going for 161. But the rims were urgh.....; much worst than my old 520's.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Members

Agree with Edlee. Saw the new Mer E in a German magazine. The design is awesome and beats the E60 flat. I am sure the new E will also match E60 in terms of technology. Earliest date of launch of new E is 2007. I will switch to the new E when it is lauched - it's beauty is just unbelievable. The new S class is a disappointment in terms of design. Cycle and Carriage used to be very corky when they were doing well selling Merc. Now that PML has beaten them, they are becoming more modest and instead PML has become corky.

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='251702' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:31 PM
Not a very good time to buy a BMW now. They hit their target last year and are not too keen to reduce their pricing now. Even the salespeople are getting a little cocky. If you can wait till the new Merc E is launched. I am 101% sure PML will rework their pricing.

If you can wait that long. Otherwise October may be a good time; when they realise that they're behind on their set target.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kiasu King Kong' post='251885' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:13 AM
Agree with Edlee. Saw the new Mer E in a German magazine. The design is awesome and beats the E60 flat. I am sure the new E will also match E60 in terms of technology. Earliest date of launch of new E is 2007. I will switch to the new E when it is lauched - it's beauty is just unbelievable. The new S class is a disappointment in terms of design. Cycle and Carriage used to be very corky when they were doing well selling Merc. Now that PML has beaten them, they are becoming more modest and instead PML has become corky.
My information could be wrong...but I thought that the 5th generation E-class will only be launched in 2009? There will be a face-lift of the current E-class early next year but it will not be a model change. I don't think you can expect much technology and design changes coming from a mid-life facelift. But I am sure the facelift should make the current E-class more attractive.

Honestly, my main gripe against buying the E-class is the fact that we have too many E-class cabs running around. IMHO, in Singapore, this totally destroys the marketing image of the E-class as an exclusive car for "those who have arrived". I speculate that this is one of the contributory reasons why C&C isn't selling enough E-class to overtake PML (anyone knows if the cab companies are buying from C&C or directly from Diamler)? The average towkays seem to be buying Lexus or moving up to S-class, while the younger ones are flocking to BMWs.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

The Lexus is no longer a Toyota. Its a good brand, worry free (from feedback I've received so far) and much cheaper. They're coming up with a new hybrid car for the GS. My only gripe about the GS is the four headlight design; otherwise I really wouldn't mind switching. Okay, the leather seats on all Lexus smell funny, but thats all.

I am frankly considering the IS 250 (or higher if available) as a replacement for my E46. Can't go wrong with Japanese cars "MADE IN JAPAN"

If I want higher torque I can always turn to our friend Rob. Bodykits are not a problem with the Japanese makes. OEM stuff also aplenty. There are plenty of aftermarket rims, lighter and nicer, to choose from, so why not?

Lexus, here I come!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Edlee,
Well done! I hope someone in PML or rather BMW(Spore) read this. It's time for them to wake up their fxxxxxxx idea and atitude .

Hope the thread gather momentum and force them realise this.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Members

Hi Guys

Thanks for your suggestions. I need my ride end of March, October is a bit too far away. I been driving E200K on and off, very comfortable and nice car. But somehow lack that "enthusiastic driving feel". Seems the car prefers to just cruise along. The steering is also not as sharp. Regarding the new E class, isn't the headlights similar to GS300?

I tried playing the GS300 card and managed to get a reduced price $172K. Will see if I can manage get to more out from PML. Will try to put on my poker face when I meet my sales consultant this weekend.

Yes I have seen the AA 523. The price offered was $161K then. As you said, the rim is downright ugly! When I worked out the sum, there is hardly any benefit plus have to bear with the look.

Thanks

oZZo
Old 03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Members

My main gripes with GS:

1. The shape is a bit like Nissan Cefiro and does not stand out
2. The overall shape looks like a toad
3. The wood paneling looks very "coffin"
4. The central console is too big
5. The headroom at the rear is too little - I am 6 feet tall and when I sit in the back, my head almost touch the roof
6. The boot space is very small.

Apart from above, I think the car drive quite good and power is also there. I am sure reliability is not an issue. IS250 is a good car.

The GS hybrid will be awesome expecially the G450 which runs on both petrol engine and electic motor. I heard will cost about $220K in Singapore.

The new Merc has better looking front and headlights than GS. The GS headlights look unbalanced.

E200 Kompressor very under powered and when you revv the engine, it is quite rough. It is for slow steady driving and cruising only. E280 now only $20,000 more than E200. E350 is $30K more.

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='251978' date='Mar 9 2006, 01:08 AM
The Lexus is no longer a Toyota. Its a good brand, worry free (from feedback I've received so far) and much cheaper. They're coming up with a new hybrid car for the GS. My only gripe about the GS is the four headlight design; otherwise I really wouldn't mind switching. Okay, the leather seats on all Lexus smell funny, but thats all.

I am frankly considering the IS 250 (or higher if available) as a replacement for my E46. Can't go wrong with Japanese cars "MADE IN JAPAN"

If I want higher torque I can always turn to our friend Rob. Bodykits are not a problem with the Japanese makes. OEM stuff also aplenty. There are plenty of aftermarket rims, lighter and nicer, to choose from, so why not?

Lexus, here I come!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by oZZo' post='251994' date='Mar 9 2006, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for your suggestions. I need my ride end of March, October is a bit too far away. I been driving E200K on and off, very comfortable and nice car. But somehow lack that "enthusiastic driving feel". Seems the car prefers to just cruise along. The steering is also not as sharp. Regarding the new E class, isn't the headlights similar to GS300?

I tried playing the GS300 card and managed to get a reduced price $172K. Will see if I can manage get to more out from PML. Will try to put on my poker face when I meet my sales consultant this weekend.

Yes I have seen the AA 523. The price offered was $161K then. As you said, the rim is downright ugly! When I worked out the sum, there is hardly any benefit plus have to bear with the look.

Thanks

oZZo
Try squeezing in terms of comparing the OMV vs selling price of the 523 vs GS300, espcially if it's obvious there's more markup at PML vs BM. Show the SE that you've done your math, play down the need to get a ride by the end of the month, if they think you're desperate, they'll be less likely to bend. Suggest "pooling" orders if possible
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kiasu King Kong' post='252000' date='Mar 9 2006, 06:10 PM
E200 Kompressor very under powered and when you revv the engine, it is quite rough. It is for slow steady driving and cruising only. E280 now only $20,000 more than E200. E350 is $30K more.
The price difference between diff engine sizes is much more reasonable than BMW. The diff between a 523 and 525 is almost $50k(?). PML loads the 525 with more options to justify the higher price. Perhaps they should have different equipment level models like in the UK - SE/Sport

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans