E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed520' date='Sep 8 2004, 12:43 AM
olivin...keep us updated on ur chat with robert friend!
Hi Ed520 & All,

Firstly Ed, if you do own a E60-520, RF has good news ! They have the solution to the stalling problem which I think sux.

Our conversation centers much on what problems we faced thus far - squeaky doors that dosen't seemed to go away (friction tape is temporary - Zag has changed it a few times already, I learned).

Robert Friend is very sincere about how he is going to help, especially with the i-drive Acceptance message thingy - he's trying to channel it to the right chap and hopefully, just hopefully, the next software rev will not feature this insulting message; I mean, the message make us look like idiots. BMW just have to listen hard coz they cannot afford to make so many of us unhappy! Singapore may be a small market to them, but gee, we are paying some 6 more times what a US guy pays for the same car and I would like to see it as it compounds our problems by 6 times too! And I bet the next time it wouldn't be just 2 of us either!

Well, I also told RF how appreciative I was when Desmond solved most of my problems when my ride was in the last time. They took 3 whole days to do some 11 jobs on my car though.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

olivin....care to elaborate on wat the solution to the stalling prob is?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ed520' date='Sep 8 2004, 07:26 PM
olivin....care to elaborate on wat the solution to the stalling prob is?
After my last software upgrade, the engine jerking seems to have improve but recently, experienced gear drag when gear shifts up from stationary start. Any one has such experience?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

did not exp such a prob but tat day car stall again when moving out from petrol stn!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Ed520,

According to RF, the solution is a s/w upgrade.

Personally, I would think if it is a s/w upgrade, some combustion parameters are altered. This could result in what Guest Kiasu-king experienced. Otherwise, I personally think it could be due to a sensor fault with the engine. I had a 3-series that stalled and almost killed me in 1990. They hoisted the whole engine after going thru countless useless solutions and later found the fault - a flywheel sensor I was told. For that they flew the tech team in and it took them 3 whole weeks to solve :'( !

I emphatise with you on your problem. I really suxs right . E60 2005 I heard will NOT have the 2 litre instead a 2.3 will come in. Perhaps its time to get rid of this problem kid eh?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Booked525iA

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Jun 24 2004, 08:16 AM
I pried open the plastic cover in the glove compartment and saw the wire harness complete with the adapter - they found the part and I believe my car would be the only one now to come with a rechargeable torch in the glove compartment.
Olivin530i,

So were you able to insert the flashlight into the socket ? I might be transferring the flashlight from my old 320iA into my new 525iA if its the same size.

How easy is it to pry open the plastic covering the socket ?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Ed520, when is your car production month? Mine so far no stalling yet, touch wood. I thought I read somewhere that Caltex is good for BMW engine, and I have been using it since day 1.

BMW530, welcome to Singapore. If we are meeting on 18th Sept night, maybe I can join you guys. I will be going to the Advanced Driver Training, a comprehensive training programme from professional instructors who have undergone training and certification at BMW Motorsports centre in Munich. According to the schedule, I should be back in Singapore by 8 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booked525iA' date='Sep 9 2004, 05:49 AM
[quote name='Olivin530i' date='Jun 24 2004, 08:16 AM'] I pried open the plastic cover in the glove compartment and saw the wire harness complete with the adapter - they found the part and I believe my car would be the only one now to come with a rechargeable torch in the glove compartment.
Olivin530i,

So were you able to insert the flashlight into the socket ? I might be transferring the flashlight from my old 320iA into my new 525iA if its the same size.

How easy is it to pry open the plastic covering the socket ? [/quote]
Hi Booked525iA,

It is easy to pry open the plastic cover with a screw-driver/test-pen. However, you need to purchase another part - the torch holder. It has some converter (from 12V to 3V I suppose), and this part snaps nicely into the cavity.

I would advise you to inspect the two spring-steel that is supposed to provide the catch to this part, mine was loose and got lost somewhere behind the dash (I was afraid it might cause some electrical points to short-circuit and checked my car in to have that piece of sh*t removed) when I tried to remove the torch.

Needless to state, the entire holder became loose. They found the spring catch (after removing a large part of the dash and the glove compartment) and have it glued to the holder - the part seemed strongly fitted in now !!

If I remembered correctly, the holder cost around 30 bucks and YES you can use your torch from your previous ride.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ed520' date='Sep 8 2004, 08:17 PM
did not exp such a prob but tat day car stall again when moving out from petrol stn!
Ed520,

If I were you, I would ask PML for a permanent solution otherwise to take the car back!

It sounds real scary, especially when you are not able to tell when is it going to stall next.

Even if they provide a so-called solution (s/w upgrade or otherwise) ask them to sign a letter of undertaking that the solution would not be temporary - and it would not cause such life-threatening situations.

Remember the lasy 7 series owner to sue PML and won, maybe we can help find out who her lawyer was!!
Old 09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:58 PM
BMW530, welcome to Singapore. If we are meeting on 18th Sept night, maybe I can join you guys. I will be going to the Advanced Driver Training, a comprehensive training programme from professional instructors who have undergone training and certification at BMW Motorsports centre in Munich. According to the schedule, I should be back in Singapore by 8 PM.
tategoi,

Not much response to a meet up as yet. Guess everyone is pretty busy. I know totoseow will be meeting up with me but no time or place has been set yet. If you're in touch with him then maybe you can arrange etc. (along with anyone else interested).

Thanks

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans