E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 LCI 523i with cylinder injector fault - dealer can't get parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had issues with their new LCI petrol (N53) engine? There seems to be either a batch or design fissue.

Regards,

Imtihaz
Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krill' post='435765
Mine is also idling at around 600-700 rpm and also quite rough.
[...]
Mine also does the same. I've complained a lot with my dealer about this. Idling is very rough, but as soon as I add just a bit of gas, roughness goes away. Mine is Steptronic. And my engine is M54 not N52 or N53. What engines you two have on yours?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Members

I have the new N53 that has been released with the LCI. There seems to be an issue with the fuel injectors.

ASenna04
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Members

Anyone else with this engine issue?

ASenna04
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Has anybody got any resolution to the rough idle problem or any news on a possible fix.......
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
jvf
Members

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='429079' date='May 28 2007, 11:40 AM
Does anybody else have a problem with cylinder injectors with the new direct engines in the E60 LCI 5 series?

I got my car over a month ago and after a few days I noticed that the engine was a little "lumpy" at idle - I have had two 330Ci's before so I know how smooth the BMW 6 should be. Anyway, I told the dealer who said the service manager would contact me - she never did but I was too busy to chase as I had a new baby on the way.

On the very day my wife started to give birth - I was driving home, I braked at some traffic lights and the engine started shaking and shudering VERY violently. I'm guessing that if it had been a manual it wold have cut out. I continued on carefully - the problem wasn't so bad over 2,000 RPM and I was only 5 minutes from the house. I had to take my wife to the hospital in our other car because I didn't trust the BMW. But at least everything worked out well on that front - we have a beautiful new daughter

When I tried to drive the car the next day, it would barely move over 5 miles an hour and was completely unresponsive to the throttle. I called BMW assist the next day because I didn't want to damanage the engine driving it to the dealer. The technician plugged into the OBC and diagnosed a cylinder 1 injector fault. He removed the injector but couldn't find anything obvious. In doing so he switched the car out of limp-home mode and suggested that I could drive the car to the dealer 15 minutes away.

The dealer diagnosed the same problem and said the would order a new injector, gave me a loaner 318i and said it would be fixed in three days. Over two and half weeks later I am still waiting

Neither BMW Ireland, BMW UK nor unbelievably BMW Germany have any injectors in stock because it is a brand new engine type. The dealer appears to be very pro-active and is trying to sort out the problem. They tried to get an injector from one of their new demo 3 series, but the part number is different and the injectors are a different length. I suggested that they could at least get one from the factory but apparently BMW Germany won't do that. The deaer has also told me that they have one other 523i and a 3 series with the same problem. We are still waiting for them to even dispatch the part from Germany!

My question is: does anybody else have his problem or have any words of wisdom?

Many thanks.
Hi
my wife took delivery of 523i m-sport on 07-june and 3 days 300 miles later the engine coughed, splutterd and died at about 20mph,she lost power steering & brakes and in a panic collided into the curb damaging both near side wheels 19" options. recoverd to dealers and diagnosed as a high pressure pump / injecter failure. i was later told that no parts available aprox 2 months. i immedialty rejected the car and today bmw have accepted, i do not believe that spares are not available for this length of time and given that you and other are experiencing similar problems it can only mean there is design fault and that they are now trying to find a solution. i have reorderd a 525dm to replace it 8 weeks delivery. on a more positive note i took delivery of a 525i m at the same time 2000 miles running like a dream (fingers crossed).
suggest this as possible route to satisfaction.

good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jvf' post='440034' date='Jun 26 2007, 07:53 PM
Hi
my wife took delivery of 523i m-sport on 07-june and 3 days 300 miles later the engine coughed, splutterd and died at about 20mph,she lost power steering & brakes and in a panic collided into the curb damaging both near side wheels 19" options. recoverd to dealers and diagnosed as a high pressure pump / injecter failure. i was later told that no parts available aprox 2 months. i immedialty rejected the car and today bmw have accepted, i do not believe that spares are not available for this length of time and given that you and other are experiencing similar problems it can only mean there is design fault and that they are now trying to find a solution. i have reorderd a 525dm to replace it 8 weeks delivery. on a more positive note i took delivery of a 525i m at the same time 2000 miles running like a dream (fingers crossed).
suggest this as possible route to satisfaction.

good luck
I picked up my new 523i 6 weeks ago, and after 3 weeks i had the same problems. The car has been sat in the BMW garage now for 3 weeks and every week the dealer can not give me an update.

The problem so i have been told is a high pressure fuel pump working out of spec and causing the injectors to fail. Even if they reset you and fit a new injector the pump will damge the next weakest valve.

I have been given a x3 20d manual and the turbo lagg has almost killed me twice as i pull out onto a busy junction. I really want my 5 back but i just dont know who to get crappy with.

Its so anoying
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Seems like a huge and common problem :thumbsdown:

BMW should make an recall for all N53 engined 523i's.

We at e60.net only present a small number of E60 drivers,
but still all these memebers have a problem with the N53 engine:

cybergamer
jvf
ASenna04
qum_ram
Krill
Scandic24
darraghn
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='443032' date='Jul 3 2007, 07:03 PM
Seems like a huge and common problem :thumbsdown:

BMW should make an recall for all N53 engined 523i's.

We at e60.net only present a small number of E60 drivers,
but still all these memebers have a problem with the N53 engine:

cybergamer
jvf
ASenna04
qum_ram
Krill
Scandic24
darraghn
I had a right go at BMW head office, and i think to be confirmed in the morning my dealer will order me a new car on a 6 weeks lead time and take the old one back.

But even this worries me, if parts and a fix are availible for new 523i in production why cant they fix mine?
could it be the case BMW are still rolling them out with the problem built in and BMW are playing a numbers game with the fault level.

The lack of any comunication from BMW is very anoying.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

I wrote a letter to BMW Ireland last week to complain about the lack of resolution to the issue. No response yet. Thanks to everybody for sharing your similar experiences - it gives me some hope that BMW will have to find a solution.....

Quick Reply: E60 LCI 523i with cylinder injector fault - dealer can't get parts