E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E46 or E90 M3 wheels on a E60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

For the quickest replies, please email us or call us. We don't actively monitor online threads and apologize for the delay.
Originally Posted by hurst01
I want two (2) sets of wheels. One for a 07 E90 335i and the other for a 08 E60 535i. What I would really like is the M5 (style 166) like is on the burgandy car in the above post.
I do not have stock on those right this minute, but plan to in 1 month, given your time frame, I will not be able to supply you those, but I think the E92 M3 wheels are close enough in look, finish, fitment, and certainly price, that you will be very happy getting those instead for the 07 335i

Problem is that for the 07 E90 335i, I need 18" wheels. I recently bought a set of 18" runflat tires for my Son's car and I can't afford to buy more.
This is no problem, the 18s are in stock for the E92 right now for a very reasonable price. They can ship on Monady.

Now, for the next issue. The front wheels have to be a minimum of 8.5" wide. Runflat tires are not available in an all season tread suitable for snow and the tires I bought will rub slightly on a 8" wheel. The 8.5" wheels stretches the tire just enough that it barely rubs every-once-in-a-while.
I don't think this is the best way to solve the issue. Stretching a tire I would recommend 2 things instead, roll your fender a little, or adjust the camber slightly. Having said that, we do have them in 8.5" width

I have considered going with 9" all the way around. Currently, he is running the rear 8.5 factory rear wheels (style 162) on the front to keep the tires from rubbing. The 8s are on the rear with spacers to make it look decent. With the 8" wheels the tires are too squared off. The offset for the factory wheels is ET 34 (front) and ET 37 (rear).

We have the proper offsets in stock. I do need to confirm 100% on Monday but I'm almost 100% sure.

With a 9" wide ET 35 his front wheel will set out 5mm farther that the current 8.5s with ET 37
As of right now, I also need another set for a 2000 E39 528.
9" is actually 10mm wider (almost 12), so ET would be 42-45 to avoid rubbing on the inside

I can't get anyone to talk with me about the style 166 M5 wheel in the size of 18 X 8.5 (front and 9 or 9.5 in the rear. I love the M5 wheels with the machined face but they really don't fit too well on a 335i unless you buy replicas. I swore that I would never buy another replica wheel because out of 10 wheels we had 7 of them that bent. I don't recall hitting anything, they just started shaking. When trying to balance them I found they were bent.
If you have something I sure would like to know about it.

Ed
Not sure where and when you bought replica, but of course it really depends on where you buy from. I've had over 20+ sets of wheels, over 50% of them have been 1 pc cast replica, I have had 4 sets of M6 style, 2 sets of E92, and 1 set of LTW (E36 fame) reps, none of them bent. However, I've had 8+ sets of 3pc forged wheels on my cars and they have all bent at some point, some really easily. It all depends on where and how often you drive.

if you have time, give us a call on monday, or email us today - info@umnitza.com and we'll get back to you end of the day latest or first thing on Sunday.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umnitza,

I don't have a problem with the tire hitting the fender, the tire rubs the inner fender when the wheels are turned. With the 8" wheel it rubbed much worse. When I put the 8.5" wheel on the front, because of the additional stretch, it hardly ever rubs. My thinking is that if I put a 9" wheel on the front, the additional stretch will cause it to rub even less by rounding the tire off instead of being so square.
The tire is actually too large but because my Son wanted run-flat tires and needed a tire that would hold in the snow, I was very limited to what is available. BMW chose to not even put a spare tire well in the 07 335i so there is not even a place for a spare. Therefore, he needed a run-flat tire. Personally, I am not a big fan of run-flat tires, but I understand why he wanted them. There are areas in Chicago that you really don't want to be sitting on the side of the road with a flat in a BMW. I can get the size tire he needs in Non-run-flat. Problem is that these tires are practically new and I just can't see throwing away a set of $1200 tires. Even then, there is the problem of flats and no place to keep the spare. Do you kind-of understand what I am going through now?
We put the Michelin Power Sport AS tires on the car and he was driving through 24 inches of snow with no spinning on his 335i, having to zig-zag through abandoned vehicles that would not move in the snow.

Ed
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor

umnitza,

I don't have a problem with the tire hitting the fender, the tire rubs the inner fender when the wheels are turned. With the 8" wheel it rubbed much worse. When I put the 8.5" wheel on the front, because of the additional stretch, it hardly ever rubs. My thinking is that if I put a 9" wheel on the front, the additional stretch will cause it to rub even less by rounding the tire off instead of being so square.

You have to look at ET on this more than you need to look at "stretch". Additionally, and also likely is the 8" combo had already rubbed a little off the fender/liner/etc on the inside so that when you did the 8.5" it was already rubbed off.

The tire is actually too large but because my Son wanted run-flat tires and needed a tire that would hold in the snow, I was very limited to what is available. BMW chose to not even put a spare tire well in the 07 335i so there is not even a place for a spare. Therefore, he needed a run-flat tire.

We have a better solution to that actually. We offer a TyreGuardian product that is basically a full time tire flat prevention coating that even when nails are pushed into it, it won't lose air. I recommend this over run flats because it really doesn't affect the way the tires handle, wear, or feel.

Personally, I am not a big fan of run-flat tires, but I understand why he wanted them. There are areas in Chicago that you really don't want to be sitting on the side of the road with a flat in a BMW. I can get the size tire he needs in Non-run-flat. Problem is that these tires are practically new and I just can't see throwing away a set of $1200 tires.
Might be better to sell the complete wheel/tire package or just use it for extreme situations like 2-3 months for the harshest winter season

Even then, there is the problem of flats and no place to keep the spare. Do you kind-of understand what I am going through now?
We put the Michelin Power Sport AS tires on the car and he was driving through 24 inches of snow with no spinning on his 335i, having to zig-zag through abandoned vehicles that would not move in the snow.

Ed
Michelin probably makes a tire (we're not tire experts) that works great in the snow but is not a run flat. With the foam guardian, you'd be able to get a different tire as well.

Hope that explanation better helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
The M3 wheels I have are the low offset that are stock for E60 and they are 8.5 and 9.5 . I got them from Umnitza, I want to say they were around $800 shipped for the set. We have gotten so many compliments on these wheels it's unreal, I thought I was doing good putting C63 wheels on my CLK500, but I don't get half the compliments I get on the Beamer.

The other nice thing is the inside spokes of the rim are gunmetal and don't show brake dust while the outside is sort of polished so they almost always look clean without to much Bling.

Bad Dept,

Can you give me the offset of the wheels and the size of your tires? I found a set of the OEM M5 wheels but by the time I buy them and have them machined and painted it will cost astronomically. I found a reconditioner that will ship me a set already machined and painted for a sizeable figure. They get about $450 to recondition a single wheel. About $1900 for the set shipped. Then by the time you have to buy a set of the M5 wheels it really adds to the cost. I could live with the wheels you have on your car. They look really sharp.
It is time to crap or get off the pot, I found one of my wheels is cracked and my tires are much worse that I had thought.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor

$450 to "recondition" a wheel - they better be putting some gold into that wheel.
Around here it's expensive at $125 with really expensive $175 if you go with a big name refinisher.

You can nearly buy a complete set of E92 M3 reps for that much with the correct offsets for your car. 19s go for about $699 for a full set, we also have some LM reps that area available as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

I have some CSL E90 reps (19" Miro M01). I think I have 20MM spacers in the back and 15MM in the front. No issues at all.
Attached Thumbnails E46 or E90 M3 wheels on a E60?-2photo-2.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by umnitza
$450 to "recondition" a wheel - they better be putting some gold into that wheel.
Around here it's expensive at $125 with really expensive $175 if you go with a big name refinisher.

You can nearly buy a complete set of E92 M3 reps for that much with the correct offsets for your car. 19s go for about $699 for a full set, we also have some LM reps that area available as well.

Umnitza,

I have looked at your site several times and can't seem to find anything. I was looking at the M5 (style 166) replica wheels in silver. Initially, I was looking for 18" for one, or two of the cars. I want 18 X 8.5 and 18 X 9.5 with ET20 on one set and ET40 on one of the other sets. They are for a 08 E60 535i and 07 335i (respectively). I can find NO 8.5 inch wide wheels in 18 inch diameter. I have to have either a 8.5 or a 9.0 inch wide wheel for front of the 07 335i. I bought the tires several months ago and can't afford to buy another set for that car. I recently checked my wife's 535i and found that the tires are nearing dangerous to drive on. I can go either 18 or 19 on it with a ET20 wheel. Either way the front wheel has to be 8.5 inch or wider. Today is Saturday. I have to have something mounted on the 5 by Wednesday. I also found on rear wheel cracked. I have also considered running 9s square on the 335i. What do you have?
BTW, the $450 per wheel include the purchase of the OEM wheel from the reconditioner. It is $375 exchange for the BMW 166 wheel (per wheel) I really like the M5 wheel that is machined in one of the above posts on this thread.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bens1088
I have some CSL E90 reps (19" Miro M01). I think I have 20MM spacers in the back and 15MM in the front. No issues at all.

bens1088,

Your wheel looks kind-of small for the wheel well opening. The E60 calls for a 25.1" tall tire. Are they that tall or is it that the picture is upside down and I am looking it cy-goggled? My current tires pretty much fill my wheel wells and they are stock for the car. I personally like a tire to be fairly "beefy". I never would have believed that I would have so much trouble finding wheels.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

bens1088,

Your wheel looks kind-of small for the wheel well opening. The E60 calls for a 25.1" tall tire. Are they that tall or is it that the picture is upside down and I am looking it cy-goggled? My current tires pretty much fill my wheel wells and they are stock for the car. I personally like a tire to be fairly "beefy". I never would have believed that I would have so much trouble finding wheels.
I think it's cause it's upside down and that was when I had a 265 tire on the rear. I swapped it with a 275 Cont. AWS so it's a bit beefier. The car could be lowered an inch or two and I could probably throw on bigger spacers but one step at a time. Plus I need to switch to a 245 front.

The specs are 19x8.5 on 235/35/19 & 19x9.5 on 275/30/19. They should have the same height as everyone elses aftermarket setups.

Got my setup for ~$1000 out the door (tires, wheels, spacers, longer studs, and nuts)

Here's another picture (still with the 265)
Attached Thumbnails E46 or E90 M3 wheels on a E60?-photo.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

Umnitza,

I have looked at your site several times and can't seem to find anything. I was looking at the M5 (style 166) replica wheels in silver. Initially, I was looking for 18" for one, or two of the cars. I want 18 X 8.5 and 18 X 9.5 with ET20 on one set and ET40 on one of the other sets. They are for a 08 E60 535i and 07 335i (respectively).

So you are looking for 2 sets. One that is low ET for the 535i, and one with higher (though 40 is a bit high) ET for the 335i. If you are looking for 18s in the M5 style, we may be able to accommodate you for only 1 of those cars with LOW ET, the high ET, I have another distributor I may be able to deal with. High ET is not common for the 18s in E60 M5 style.

I can find NO 8.5 inch wide wheels in 18 inch diameter. I have to have either a 8.5 or a 9.0 inch wide wheel for front of the 07 335i. I bought the tires several months ago and can't afford to buy another set for that car. I recently checked my wife's 535i and found that the tires are nearing dangerous to drive on. I can go either 18 or 19 on it with a ET20 wheel. Either way the front wheel has to be 8.5 inch or wider. Today is Saturday. I have to have something mounted on the 5 by Wednesday. I also found on rear wheel cracked. I have also considered running 9s square on the 335i. What do you have?
BTW, the $450 per wheel include the purchase of the OEM wheel from the reconditioner. It is $375 exchange for the BMW 166 wheel (per wheel) I really like the M5 wheel that is machined in one of the above posts on this thread.
We don't exchange wheels - was just giving you an example. Given that you are in Indiana, it's going to be nearly impossible to get you a wheel by Wednesday without paying extreme prices.
9" wheels are fairly common on the E92 and E60 up front and with proper ET, the benefit of running a square setup is rotation, more neutral handling, and of course consistency of tire sizes. There are some drawbacks like looks, but generally if you want to run a larger setup than 8", a 9" isn't that much different than a 8.5 and the tires will likely fit it equally well.

If you aren't 10000% set on the M5 rep, we have a bunch more choices like CSL, LM, even ACS Reps that may suit you better? Feel free to call us so we can go over the options.

Quick Reply: E46 or E90 M3 wheels on a E60?