E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driving on a flat Run Flat Tyre

Old 04-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Londoners should check out Sheen Tyres in East Sheen - run by a bunch of South Moluccan gents who have always have beaten any other quotation I received! You'll find them in the Yellow Pages
Old 04-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 5 2004, 06:15 AM
Costco - best prices for tyres in the UK ( Michelin only though) .
Are the Michelin Run Flats (PAX system) compatible with the E60 wheels? I read somewhere that there were 2 types of Run Flat technologies. BMW seem to use the Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone which (correct me if I'm wrong) are different systems to the Michelins.

Anyone what to confirm this?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Members

My run flat with 1998 miles was punctured by a drywall screw. Dealer and a couple of websites stated that it could not be repaired. I hear Goodyear run flats can be repaired. Don't know what the difference is.

Quoted $346 plus $110 installation...total...about $485 (including tax) here in So. Cal.

Was driving on it today. No loud noise. You should investigate.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Members

There was a loud clicking noise in mine as I was driving off and before I pulled the drywall screw out. The screw was sticking out a bit in the middle of the tire.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it was a loud clicking noise which I had. Obviously it was a "quiet" clicking noise in the car but a lot louder when the window was open. I found it quite strange to be that loud but apparently that was normal according to the technical guys.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

We're experiencing a puncture report from the RPA/iDrive... however I'm unable to find any defects on the surface of the tyre - nor are there any whizzing sounds coming from any of the wheels. This has happened three times. After each time, I've stopped and checked the pressure (at two different petrol stations) and refilled minimal amounts of air to two of the tyres on two occasions. After the minor refillings and re-initializations of RPA, the warning would pop up again. If there actually was some sort of puncture present on any of the tyres - why does the warning pop up as quickly as it does - while there's no visible damage to any of the tyres? I've found no screws, nails or other anomalies.

We just had the summer wheels/tyres put back on (style 124 run-flats) - and setting a correct pressure seems difficult (the dealer may also have forgotten to re-initialize RPA after the change). There hardly seems to be (or I just haven't discovered them yet) petrol stations that have equipment showing a correct tyre pressure from tyre to tyre. Could the tyre puncture warning be a result of deviating pressure in either one of the front wheels or one of the rear wheels - as opposed to an actual loss of pressure? How does RPA really work to monitor the pressure - does it compare the current rotation of a wheel with the rotation at the time of initialization, or with the rotation of the opposite wheel (e.g. front right vs. front left)- or some sort of combination of both?

Btw.. I found this thurough test conducted by the National Highway Safety Administration that evaluates the RPA system of a 2001 750iL, and a 2001 X5 equipped with the RDC system. I haven't read the entire study, but it seems to contain a load of interesting information on the abilities of modern systems for tyre pressure monotoring. Answers to my questions may also be in this document, but hey, I'll post them anyway And for all I know, there may also be an actual puncture in one of the tyres.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' date='Apr 2 2004, 01:18 PM
Were you able to repair the puncture and if so at what cost?
Mark-Yorkshire
mark

how long have you had your car - a puncture once in every 10 years - what were you doing - driving on tacks????!!!!

jonboy