E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

does anyone esle think bmw's nav sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

Originally Posted by dowe
i generally agree with you dude, but the car could be unbeatable if they just hired some decent software engineers.

Yeah you make a good point. Speaking of NAV sucking......the voice recognition could be better too, sometimes I access the dial phone number command and end up switching the radio to 1050 AM......maybe we as humans aren't ready for all this technology, bet the original Ford Model T didn't have this issue ha ha!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

Don't get me started on voice recog. problems. Mine works about 50% of the time. Except for certain times, when it just decides to work 100% - completely accurate. That balances out the other 25% of the time when it doesn't understand ANYTHING I say. It is always funny how after the third time that the car responds "I'm sorry I did not understand you" to my attempted voice dial input, it speaks with an ever-so-slight attitude. At least I've finally realized to stop yelling back at him - he doesn't really care!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AngelEyes
sorry guys but i have to disagree with all of you, seriously, the bmw Nav is one of the best i've ever came across, taking into account that i have tried TOMTOM and Garmin, and the accuracy and ease of use of the Bima's is just superb !

(probably my heads-up display makes it even more beloved )

anyway, i might be biased, but I DON'T CARE, i aboslutely love every bit of my German Girlfriend
Wow, really??? Do you even own a BMW?? The BMW nav is fine if you just use it as a moving map. POI search is just HORRIBLE. I used a garmin in the car for almost a year, because my BMW nav was so terrible. I finally took the Garmin out, but not because I didn't need it, but because I was embarrassed by having 2 navs in the car. I have had Toyota, Infiniti, and VW nav systems, and they all we're light years ahead of the BMW nav I have, especially the Toyota.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by willbishop
Yeah the NAV is not great but who cares??? wherever you end up at least you like like $1,000,000 bucks! at the end of the day that is what matters. Lexus has a better NAV but a Lexus doesn't drive like a BMW. You should know where you are going anyway and if you have the iPhone you can always get an address. NAV with an address works fine in this car. Get off the NAV and focus on what is happening in the driver's seat, that destination is always the best route.
Uh, yea, except the post was about the NAV, the the driving mechanics of the car. And after spending 2k on the NAV, you expect it to work nicely.

Guess what, sometimes you go to unfamiliar places, and you want to find the closest mall, or a decent restaurant you like. I actually drive my car on vacation, and want to find places w/o having to take out the iphone and google an address and then enter that into the nav. Geesh, if I had that amount of time, I could just blindly drive around until I found the place.

If I wanted a pure driving machine, I would have bought a Lotus. I expect more.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw
Uh, yea, except the post was about the NAV, the the driving mechanics of the car. And after spending 2k on the NAV, you expect it to work nicely.

Guess what, sometimes you go to unfamiliar places, and you want to find the closest mall, or a decent restaurant you like. I actually drive my car on vacation, and want to find places w/o having to take out the iphone and google an address and then enter that into the nav. Geesh, if I had that amount of time, I could just blindly drive around until I found the place.

If I wanted a pure driving machine, I would have bought a Lotus. I expect more.
yup yup

i don't have any personal experience with bmw navs but I did have a lexus before my bmw and it had a great nav that i thought blew away any other japanese nav (acura, infiniti). From the comments here, and those mentioned being so much better, its a shame bmw's nav isn't on par. Searching POI's is an absolute life saver! I do have a feeling the f10's are gonna kick some serious ass though in this feild. and if they don't, you have internet access and all you'll need to do is go to google maps
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by dowe
i generally agree with you dude, but the car could be unbeatable if they just hired some decent software engineers.

+1, It is really unacceptable that their NAV (and in many ways the iDrive system in general, is so convoluted. (at least on my 2007 model).

It is ironic as BMW innovated with the introduction of iDrive on the 7 series years ago. (I think around 2001 or so.) However, other manufacturers quickly implemented their own systems and blew by BMW.

I can sit down in a japanese car and pretty much figure out the system in real time. Good luck in a BMW. Just ask one of your friends to reposition the "MAP" in navigation mode and see how frustrated they become when they are thrown into an entirely different "mode" in iDrive when they do what they could in any other system by an intuitive shift of the input device....
Old 04-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I agree with most of you on here. Our NAV sucks. The NAV on my wifes 07 Acura is better than the NAV that was in my 09 E70 never mind my 07 M. Come to think of it...my NAV on my old 03 Acura was better than the old BMW NAV!

I will say that the new NAV in the 2010's are much better. The whole idrive setup is better!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: black
Model Year: 2008

I did a lot of research on my 1st BMW I purchased 3 weeks ago.
08 535i Sport, 26K miles, Jet Black, Dakoda brown, cold wth pkg,Premimum pkg,ipod, etc., Loaded.
However, I excluded NAV, for the same reasons I continue to read.

Prefer to stick my garmin up when needed, than buy a newer one as they imporove.
Didn't want this changing technology to be a Factory deal.
Back to the dealership for updates,and repairs.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver. (6spd)(Sport)(Premium)(Navi)(Active Steering)(Adaptive Headlights)

I agree, BMW navi is definitively behind other companies. My father has an acura mdx, (returning to the x5 after lease is up ) and the navi system is amazing. Far more informative, many more options, just many more perks, much more thought out.