E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

does anyone esle think bmw's nav sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by pjinca
Do Pre-LCI's have a problem using it while driving? Mine works fine when the car is moving and mine is Pre-LCI
That's kind of strange. I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the pre-LCI's NAV functions such as inputting a new address, etc. is disabled once the vehicle is moving at certain velocity.

Software issue, obviously.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
That's kind of strange. I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the pre-LCI's NAV functions such as inputting a new address, etc. is disabled once the vehicle is moving at certain velocity.

Software issue, obviously.

Maybe, because my wife entered an address when I was doing 85 on the on the 605. Not sure what is different about my car, but that is one of the "features" I love about my car as opposed to her Subie. She can't do anything unless the car is stopped, other than that her NAV is far superior.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by pjinca
Maybe, because my wife entered an address when I was doing 85 on the on the 605. Not sure what is different about my car, but that is one of the "features" I love about my car as opposed to her Subie. She can't do anything unless the car is stopped, other than that her NAV is far superior.

I can input addresses on mine as well while moving
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by wolfgang0524
With the new nav I can also send destinations to it from google maps. I've used this a bunch and it is really sweet!

I've also used the bmw-routes capability to program in a large complex route and then loaded it into the nav via the usb.
Wow! Need to try this stuff.
So far I have mixed feelings 2010 Navi is faster than 2007, but often chooses weird routes.
I also kind of miss complexity of the old iDrve, the new one is so much easier to use it feels as if some features are missing.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by ivan545
I agree BMW nav really sucks. I love the Acura Navi system and the touch screen, lot faster.

Yes BMW Nav is horrible - an embarrassment (in my 2007 550i). My 2008 Acura RL Nav blew away the BMW Nav!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

The nav isn't that bad, but its not that good most of the time i just use TomTom on my iPhone. What we really need is either a touch screen or someway to input info besides using the wheel. Something like the pop out dial pad on the 7 series.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by e6t
maybe im doing something wrong, but when i search for something, the navigation system RARELY finds what im looking for. If i enter an address, it works great. Something as simple as searching for a Target yields NOTHING.

I have a Garmin and it works like a champ.

Does anyone else have a similar frustration? If im searching in the correct manner, i think bmw's nav system is junk.

It's a known fact that Euro car navigations suck....i mean, even my 2001 Infiniti QX4, which I still drive to this day (150k miles and going strong), has a better navigation system...F U BMW, MERC, AUDI, everyother manufacturer that isn't japanese...(except ford's sync) lol....BMW should jack some crap from the sync technology cuz I have heard it is SUPER LEGIT
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

I bought the newest dvds 2010.1 and pretty much been problem free!

Originally Posted by e6t
maybe im doing something wrong, but when i search for something, the navigation system RARELY finds what im looking for. If i enter an address, it works great. Something as simple as searching for a Target yields NOTHING.

I have a Garmin and it works like a champ.

Does anyone else have a similar frustration? If im searching in the correct manner, i think bmw's nav system is junk.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

Yeah the NAV is not great but who cares??? wherever you end up at least you like like $1,000,000 bucks! at the end of the day that is what matters. Lexus has a better NAV but a Lexus doesn't drive like a BMW. You should know where you are going anyway and if you have the iPhone you can always get an address. NAV with an address works fine in this car. Get off the NAV and focus on what is happening in the driver's seat, that destination is always the best route.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by willbishop
Yeah the NAV is not great but who cares??? wherever you end up at least you like like $1,000,000 bucks! at the end of the day that is what matters. Lexus has a better NAV but a Lexus doesn't drive like a BMW. You should know where you are going anyway and if you have the iPhone you can always get an address. NAV with an address works fine in this car. Get off the NAV and focus on what is happening in the driver's seat, that destination is always the best route.
i generally agree with you dude, but the car could be unbeatable if they just hired some decent software engineers.

Quick Reply: does anyone esle think bmw's nav sucks?