E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

do you regret your E60 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i mentioned my z32TT not in the context of performance, but because of reliability.

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
some weird responses here.....if you had a high hp car and wanted to get into something similar powerwise then you shouold have gone for a M5. Dont blame your unhapiness with your current low hp e60 because of not being able to afford a car with comparable hp in the BMW family. comparing a 2 door high hp (worked on) chevy or a twin turbo z to a stock 4 door midsized sedan? what is going on here? your fault for going that route
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Definitely some issues on bmw reliability when at the higher mileage. But all known documented issues, just expensive. Plus bmw has some weird irks too
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

I had nissan 350Z before I got my brother 525i 04.
no way to compare the power but once u get used to ur e60 u will love it
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by response_surface
i mentioned my z32TT not in the context of performance, but because of reliability.
I'm just using it as a comparison.....having a high hp any car then going to a 530 would be disappointing to someone used to that kind of power.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

the only regret is not getting a 2008 and up 550i instead of the 2007 550i that i have now
which is not too much of a regret
Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 PM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

not sure if the NA BMW's are build in a different factory, but here quality is not so much of an issue.
I do not regret getting my 5 its a 525i. It is next to my 325i and the Mini Cooper (which in ALL ways is a more fun car to drive).
I owned many cars of italian origin and german origin and I have to state that the E60 is just right for me.

or in short.. no regrets

the only thing about cars I ever regretted, was selling my Alfa Romeo 1750 GTJ :-(
Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

wow, lots of replies here.

first of all, the 550i is not comparable to the Z/TA in terms of acceleration. several other people commented on this fact so i don't want to go off on a tangent and seem like a bimmer basher, but the performance in an LS1 is significantly better. put some coin on suspension mods and it will handle comparably as well. the problem with the Z/TA is that after about 75k miles, it deteriorates rapidly, and that's why i don't have it anymore.

that being said, going from a sport's car/muscle car to a sedan, i knew it was apples to oranges and wasn't getting the sedan for speed. i wanted comfort and reliability first and foremost, and those were the two last things i wanted and received from the Z. however, with that i was expecting 20mpg and i think if i were getting that, i would not be as frustrated.

as for my driving habits, i have driven conservatively and aggressively across at least 25 tanks, and every time i stick to my city driving, it is always between 14.5-16.5. 16.5 is awesome if i ever get there. i average under 20mph in my city driving as i live in a dense part of the city, so there is a lot of stop and go. still, the Z was getting the same mileage...

there is also one other factor here people failed to mention, which is money. i didn't want to spend over 30k on a car, and i wanted a car with a warranty. the 550i is never under 30k and the 545i does not have a warranty. no offense to any 535i owner but i didn't want that car specifically for a variety of reasons--i test drove it and it didn't impress me, HPFP, and if i had to take off the JB3 every time it went in to the shop and potentially risked losing the warranty if the dealer picked up on the JB3, it would never be installed on my car in the first place.

would i be happier with a 550i? that is contingent on so many things...provided the MPG wasn't 5mpg under the rated mpg like my 530i is (which would put it at about 10mpg in my dense city drive, since 550i is rated at 15mpg city). i test drove a 550i in the city and the average mpg on the idrive did show 10.4mpg, so if that is true i would not rather own a 550i, and had my parameters when purchasing been a budget over 30k and MPG under 12, good god there are so many (dare i say better?) options other than a BMW, no offense!

alas though, my budget excluded a 550i, so there is no reason to post and say "you should have gotten a 550i." it just isn't relevant. i do agree i'm comparing apples to oranges, and i guess all i can say is that i'm perturbed the mpg isn't what it should be, maybe i have a cranky engine. and for that reason, i feel irritated consequently that if i'm going to get 15mpg, i want my speed back. i think that's all i was really saying. otherwise the car feels great while driving, it is luxurious/spacious, and has a ton of features that are really convenient, and for that reason i love it. but i do think had i known what i know now, i would have considered alternatives when i was looking. thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Traded the 525 family car, for a 328 for the wife. I purchased the 06' 525 in the heigth of the 5$ per gallon gas crisis, so performance was the least of my concerns. Both sucked imo cuz of lack of power. Got a lifted dodge 1 ton the kicks all the ass in the world. Cummins turbo FTW. As soon as my warrantys up at 100k. Which will be quite some time ill mod it up to 800hp 1200tq and jump the fucker over the grand canyon for shits and giggs. Id only own an ///M from here on out. Im going to throw about 20k into lifting and locking my wifes WJ Overland. Then snow mobiles and a 5th wheel toy hauler. After that the new F20 (is it)? should be out and ill be looking at whats going on then. The 5 is too big (and ugly) imo to be fun anymore, and i have a feeling upcoming all new ///M3 will be the closest incarnation of the E39 ///M5.
Thats whats up

Regrets? Yes. If i knew i was moving up to tahoe at the time of buying the 5. I woulda skipped it and got the 1ton to begin with... Hind sight is always......
Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Delete
Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I personally have no regrets on my E60 530i. If anything, wish it had more hp - so I will be getting a 550i next.

I'm getting about 21.5MPG / at avg 38.7MPH. Mostly free way, but there's definitely traffic in SoCal during rush hours.

Quick Reply: do you regret your E60 purchase?