E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Diesel engines and blind shutters behind kidneys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

02/2004 530d here (original dutch car).
I've got them. They look a lot like the shutters on the airvents and open only when the full engine temp has been reached (the lines in the tacho are at their right most point).
I have the cold weather package (with independant heater, etc...), so maybe that's the thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Members

I have a July 2004 E61 530D auto and mine has them. If you poke them they swivel like they're not attached to anything but I have seen them open themselves when it's hot so they do work.
Maybe they think German cars (as in, for the German market) don't need them as it doesn't get that cold? Seems odd that UK cars would but German ones wouldn't though.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

My 2005 E61 535d does not have the shutters so interesting that it also seems some Uk spec cars do and others do not. They would certainly help this week..

Thanks

Carlo
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Checked my car today which is an May 07 LCI Msport and I dont have any shutters behind the kidney grills. It doesnt seem to take long to warm up once driving either.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Members

I don't see any UK cars in this thread that have them?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

My UK spec car does not have them either...........built sept 2005.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My 2004 MY 530d has them.

There has been a lot of debate about them in past years, from keeping the engine warm to deflecting airflow to the oil cooler to keep it cool !

Suggestion is they stopped fitting them as they did not actually achieve anything.

I don't think anybody has really got to the bottom of it, nor do I think that they have any real effect.

Don't worry about them.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by KAF' post='759892' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:48 PM
Suggestion is they stopped fitting them as they did not actually achieve anything.
Are you sure? I think most (if not all?) the new E60s have those - like I linked earlier, BMW is promoting their EfficientDynamics heavily at least here in Finland and one of those inventions are those flaps.

Edit: Just went and found the BMW EfficientDynamics printed brochure at home (I still have most of those as I am still waiting my car and I haven't got rid of those brochures). I states that EfficientDynamics Active AeroDynamics is available in all E60 models (Finnish market) but the same information was also available in BMW UK website. So it seems that at least today they fit all the E60s in these two markets with those.

Edit: re-read the thread ... could it be that M-Sport cars do not have those?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='759901' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:59 PM
Are you sure? I think most (if not all?) the new E60s have those - like I linked earlier, BMW is promoting their EfficientDynamics heavily at least here in Finland and one of those inventions are those flaps.

Edit: Just went and found the BMW EfficientDynamics printed brochure at home (I still have most of those as I am still waiting my car and I haven't got rid of those brochures). I states that EfficientDynamics Active AeroDynamics is available in all E60 models (Finnish market) but the same information was also available in BMW UK website. So it seems that at least today they fit all the E60s in these two markets with those.

But sounds weird that not all the same models during same year or years next to each other in the same market wouldn't have those. Maybe some sort of problem during the early phase of the technology?
They are available on some cars as part of the ED Active Aerodynamics. The E60 and E61 only impliment Active Aerodynamics in the use of brake cooling flaps on the non sports models. Sports E60/61 dont have any active aerodynamics included.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Wonder why the "sports" models dont have this ?? just because its a sport model doesnt mean the owners thrash them everwhere so dont need quick warmup in the winter ? ( for example )

Quick Reply: Diesel engines and blind shutters behind kidneys.