E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel engines and blind shutters behind kidneys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all!

I got a little problem here. In Finland it?s pretty cold most of the year and 530D is hard to get to the right working temperature. I changed EGR thermostat which helped a lot but then I discovered that in E60 series there should be automatically working blind shutters behind the kidneys to prevent air flow to the radiator when its cold to help maintaing and reaching correct temps.

Those things are missing from my car!!!
My car specs:

MY03/2005 530DAT M-sport which has been bought from Germany from BMW dealer , the car has been used for 3 years/55000km as leasing car. They told the full history, there has been an accident where they had to change one door and fix the paint on left side (total 5600?, which is pretty small amount considering painting and one full door change) but there was no mention about frontal crash. Last 7 digits of VIN:CR15854 for you who are interested/have access to BMW services...

The questions I have are:
-can you people check if you have those shutters behind your cars kidney grills? tell MY when you respond please.
-should my car have been equipped with those shutters from the start or have they been removed during some repairs or someting..?
-could anybody in Germany help me out and check out this vehicles accident info from your system (which I have heard being quite accurate)

Depending what the answers are I have to start thinking my options after that.. if I have been screwed by BMW official reseller I definately will hold them responsible, but if the shutters weren?t even there from the start I have to find how to retrofit them

Here is a link to the parts which I mean, shutters are part no. 3 : Parts

Thank you all!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Members

go to this and see what it tells you about the spares etc.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hi my fellow countryman!

I have those shutters in my 2004 530d. I have never checked if they really are controlled my some mechanism. When the car is shut off, they can be swinged like there wasn't any mechanism. For example when washing the car and I spray the water into them and they jiggle all free.

There has been some threads about them, so maybe a search would help you...

Here's a quick pic that I found. Taken last spring when installing the m-tech kit. Sorry about the dirt .

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Members

I presume this is a feature fitted to cars sold in cold weather climates, as mine doesn't have them. Perhaps the fact it was originally destined for the German market explains it.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by marklp' post='759060' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:33 PM
I presume this is a feature fitted to cars sold in cold weather climates, as mine doesn't have them. Perhaps the fact it was originally destined for the German market explains it.
Ok. Thanks for the info. Can you specify your cars MY and model , please?
I even have auxiliary heater (uses diesel) so its pretty weird that you don?t have cold climate shutter flaps..
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Members

"Sept 03 530d SE Auto"
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Isn't these part of the EfficientDynamics and started from certain year? Not related to the Cold Weather package or anything similar. I remember seeing those promoted somewhere. Oh right, BMW UK website and this invention is called Active Aerodynamics.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient_dynam...rce=nationaltop

Although, the website doesn't tell when they started to install these into E60.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='759084' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:03 PM
Isn't these part of the EfficientDynamics and started from certain year? Not related to the Cold Weather package or anything similar. I remember seeing those promoted somewhere. Oh right, BMW UK website and this invention is called Active Aerodynamics.

Weird that some -04 cars have them, my -05 does not. I do not know about -06 cars and further.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='759084' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:03 PM

ED was implimented on the 5 series when the LCI cars were released. March2007 build onwards.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ceeray' post='759085' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:09 PM
Weird that some -04 cars have them, my -05 does not. I do not know about -06 cars and further.
Maybe they started to bring those in phases. One model after another and from one market to another, or did they change something in the engine at the same time?

Or then you have a problem just like you suspected. But first it would be interesting to find an information when they started to bring those and to which models if not all during that year.

Quick Reply: Diesel engines and blind shutters behind kidneys.