E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by jordan23junkee' post='392711' date='Feb 17 2007, 08:43 PM
Your car your rules.
I agree. 110%, in fact.

Yet everyone here seems to forget that point...its my car, its my rules. Why is everyone giving me grief for a decision I make in my own car, and telling me I need to enforce seatbelt usage?

Dont get me wrong - I think wearing a seatbelt is an incredibly important decision. It saved my life 4 years ago when my Lexus ES300 was broadsided by a kid who failed to even slow down at a stop sign. I have worn seatbelts religiously since the day I started to drive. I think its insane, nuts and downright stupid not to wear one. Even just to the end of the driveway, as you never know when and where an accident will happen.

However, my rule is that I respect other people's right to chose.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, nor argumentative, nor anything else negative with this thread. I love this forum and the people here. However, it seems odd to me that nobody respects a person who lets other people make their own decisions...even when that person (me) disagrees with their choice.

I'm not saying its smart. That its right. Or that I agree.

Just that in some situations, I let other people make their own decisions, no matter how wise, or unwise, it might be.

I cant make them floss. I cant make them eat less red meat. I cant make them exercise. I suppose I can order them to wear a belt in my car, but its a life decision for them to make as they chose.

Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox....
Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Members

My Ride: Hamann E60 535d

This item was posted to help people switching off the seatbelt sign, not
to tell them that they have to drive there car without using the seatbelt. :thumbsdown:

That is something compleet different...

It can sometimes be verry usefull.

And if you think it is not... Just ask your dealer to reprogram your car and set it off.
But that will cost you some more money. :'(
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

lawguy, I see that you've pretty much been battered nonstop about this and unfortunately that's just the way it goes sometimes. I just wanted to throw in that although most would agree that it's their life they are risking by not wearing a seatbelt, they could also be risking yours. I've seen one too many films/pictures where people go flying all over inside a car during an accident and they break everything they hit. Who's to say they wouldn't break your neck or seriously injure you while flying around like that?

That being said though, I've found that on several occasions I haven't told my friends to wear their seatbelt either. Overall, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here and I'm not trying to pick on you. I just find it funny that a lot of people, myself included, don't feel like they are threatening their own life by not telling someone to wear their seatbelt. Like you said, you never know when an accident could happen, and you also never know how bad it's going to be.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='392773' date='Feb 17 2007, 10:57 PM
lawguy, I see that you've pretty much been battered nonstop about this and unfortunately that's just the way it goes sometimes. I just wanted to throw in that although most would agree that it's their life they are risking by not wearing a seatbelt, they could also be risking yours. I've seen one too many films/pictures where people go flying all over inside a car during an accident and they break everything they hit. Who's to say they wouldn't break your neck or seriously injure you while flying around like that?

That being said though, I've found that on several occasions I haven't told my friends to wear their seatbelt either. Overall, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here and I'm not trying to pick on you. I just find it funny that a lot of people, myself included, don't feel like they are threatening their own life by not telling someone to wear their seatbelt. Like you said, you never know when an accident could happen, and you also never know how bad it's going to be.
well said be safe and wear a seatbelt.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='392773' date='Feb 18 2007, 01:57 AM

I couldnt agree more.

Nicely said. Case closed (in my eyes, anyhow).
Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='392716' date='Feb 17 2007, 09:08 PM
I agree. 110%, in fact.

Yet everyone here seems to forget that point...its my car, its my rules. Why is everyone giving me grief for a decision I make in my own car, and telling me I need to enforce seatbelt usage?
Just maybe some of the posters are giving you,"grief", as you put it is because of the profession you are in and you should IMO be a cut above the rest of us as far as the law. Being that "Buckle Up Its The Law " is on signs all over and you don't inforce it as far as your passengers are concerned has a lot to be desired.
I'll also get off my soap box.
cheers
vern retired seat belt manufacture
Old 02-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vern' post='392881' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:26 AM
Just maybe some of the posters are giving you,"grief", as you put it is because of the profession you are in and you should IMO be a cut above the rest of us as far as the law. Being that "Buckle Up Its The Law " is on signs all over and you don't inforce it as far as your passengers are concerned has a lot to be desired.
I'll also get off my soap box.
cheers
vern retired seat belt manufacture
I'm not sure why "my profession" subjects me to a higher standard of scrutiny. To each his own, I suppose. If it makes you feel clever to give a lawyer a little grief, so be it. But, to quote my daughter..."whatever, dude".

All I wanted was a little technical help from some folks that know the car better than I, not any personal BS. The beauty of forums is the information exchange. The downside is the people who like to throw out anonymous criticisms 'cause it makes them feel witty.

Cheers to you too.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Members

Can I just through another justifiable reason for wanting to turn this off as this seems to be getting a bit heated !

I have been giving mine a hammering this weekend by numerous trips to our refuse dump

I put a load of old magazines on the seat and of course the car thought there was a passenger there and therefore the pinging started - rather annoying !
Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M sport. lots of nice toys but I apreciate the HUD and audio upgrade the most. VX220 Turbo. All options ticked.

Any passengers I have do not have a choice.. It?s not a free world in my car. They could kill me if they weren?t secure. <_<

I suppose through good old Darwinism in the future we will all be seatbelt wearers
Old 02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by P444UL_R' post='392983' date='Feb 18 2007, 05:51 PM
I suppose through good old Darwinism in the future we will all be seatbelt wearers
Nothing like a little "natural selection" to thin the herd, eh?

Quick Reply: Configuration question