E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012 | 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Good for you, these guys are a bunch of asses. Hopefully you can get it reattached. Was that the cause of the knocking you found earlier? Where did you find the connection for the steering wheel adjustment? mine does not work either, I know I attached the switch to the steering column was there some place else to look?
I believe the engine mount was the cause of the knocking between gears 1 and 2. If I drive really slowly (had to put hazards on on the way to work), there is no knocking sound. I followed the pipe for the adjustment and found a cable disconnected. It was halfway down the steering column on the fender side. I reconnected it and it still doesn't work. Not sure what's wrong, and I'm not going to mess with it further as I think it's the motor that's out.

For the carpet that you replaced, how did you get it out from the front of the vehicle? Did you have to take out all the AC components and pry sideways the dash?
Old 03-19-2012 | 07:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by korrosive
I believe the engine mount was the cause of the knocking between gears 1 and 2. If I drive really slowly (had to put hazards on on the way to work), there is no knocking sound. I followed the pipe for the adjustment and found a cable disconnected. It was halfway down the steering column on the fender side. I reconnected it and it still doesn't work. Not sure what's wrong, and I'm not going to mess with it further as I think it's the motor that's out.

For the carpet that you replaced, how did you get it out from the front of the vehicle? Did you have to take out all the AC components and pry sideways the dash?
I was reading somewhere that the steering wheel adjustment is tied into the seat memory so if the seat modules are out that could be the cause why the adjustment is not working. My seat modules are shot so probably gonna wait and see.

Yes, you have to remove the vents. Get the car down to the point where you would if you were changing the blower motor, that includes both foot panel, both foot vents, blower motor and glove box. I actually cut out the center piece because I couldn't pry it out without removing the dash. The TIS also says to cut it to remove it, two slices towards the middle that would be covered under the dash. Replacing it is just as hard I actually sliced it on both sides then cut out a piece so it stops in front of the blower motor. You will probably need some help for this job.
Old 03-23-2012 | 07:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Did you ever work on the blower motor? I changed the motor and regulator then regulator brand new, still nothing. Gonna try to replace the climate ontrol panel. I tested the wires and power is going to the regulator also tested the blower by itself and it works. I don't know how to test the third wire the one that dictates the fan speed. I checked the other end of the regulator the side that would send the power to the fan but no power. I changed the regulator but same thing. Unlikely that both regulator have failed. The climate control panel is lighted and works for all other functions. Not sure what to do next.
Old 03-25-2012 | 06:07 AM
Contributors

Did you ever work on the blower motor? I changed the motor and regulator then regulator brand new, still nothing. Gonna try to replace the climate ontrol panel. I tested the wires and power is going to the regulator also tested the blower by itself and it works. I don't know how to test the third wire the one that dictates the fan speed. I checked the other end of the regulator the side that would send the power to the fan but no power. I changed the regulator but same thing. Unlikely that both regulator have failed. The climate control panel is lighted and works for all other functions. Not sure what to do next.
Sorry I was out of town the past week and just got back. I have not replaced the regulator yet. I bought a replacement climate control unit, but have not replaced that yet either as I'm replacing te regulator first.
Old 03-28-2012 | 03:16 PM
Contributors

Playeed hookie today
Managed to finally get the passenger's seat out and got the sub under there out and it tested ok when feeding 5v to it . Replaced the blower regulator (not the motor) and the air conditioning blows Hot and Cold. So that is working. Replaced the master switch control on the drivers door for the windows and that works.

Replaced iDrive controller and it partially works. I'm not getting any audio and there's a disc stuck in the DVD slot on the CCC replacement I got. :thumbsdown:

Still working on getting the seats functional.
Old 03-28-2012 | 04:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Playeed hookie today
Managed to finally get the passenger's seat out and got the sub under there out and it tested ok when feeding 5v to it . Replaced the blower regulator (not the motor) and the air conditioning blows Hot and Cold. So that is working. Replaced the master switch control on the drivers door for the windows and that works.

Replaced iDrive controller and it partially works. I'm not getting any audio and there's a disc stuck in the DVD slot on the CCC replacement I got. :thumbsdown:

Still working on getting the seats functional.
That's good news on the blower, been through a blower motor and 2 regulators and I still can't get it to work. If the climate control panel doesn't fix it I am screwed. How about that engine mount, what did you end up doing?
Old 03-29-2012 | 07:35 AM
Contributors

The first indy I took it to kept it for a week and had excuse after excuse before finally saying he needs to drop the entire engine and exhaust system in order to get it out. I took the car back. I searched for another shop and a block south of this first clown, I got another shop specializing in European vehicles. When I first called he sounded like he had a better grasp of what it would entail. So it is there today and he estimates a 4hr job.

So I'm sitting tight waiting for news.
Old 03-29-2012 | 02:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

The first indy I took it to kept it for a week and had excuse after excuse before finally saying he needs to drop the entire engine and exhaust system in order to get it out. I took the car back. I searched for another shop and a block south of this first clown, I got another shop specializing in European vehicles. When I first called he sounded like he had a better grasp of what it would entail. So it is there today and he estimates a 4hr job.

So I'm sitting tight waiting for news.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I finally got the blower going it was the panel all along, can't believe it, it looked like it was in perfect working order. The replacement looks like crap but it works.
Old 03-30-2012 | 05:04 AM
Contributors

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I finally got the blower going it was the panel all along, can't believe it, it looked like it was in perfect working order. The replacement looks like crap but it works.
That is awesome news!! I'm sure you yelled for joy once it started blowing. I know I did

Let me know how you fair with getting your seats working. The replacement seats I got to strip for parts (the seats are beige and my interior is black) are not comfort seats, so even the plugs on the motors have missing pins. I hope they still work. I know the lumbar support will be stuck at wherever it is the last guy had it at
Old 03-30-2012 | 06:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

My seat is stuck in a comfortable position rightnow, so not my next move. I found the seat module (exact match, brand new) for $250 on ECS tuning, that is the cheapest I found. Couldn't find a match from used sources except Bavarian who wanted $250 for a used one. My next move however is the Logic 7, I need tunes if I am driving, can't find a good price though. Also, looks like i'll have to get the PDC module new, can't find an exact match.

Priority rightnow looks like this.
Logic 7 amp
Driver seat module
PDC module
Steering adjust (hopefully seat module fixes that)
passenger seat module
Servotronic & Active steering errors

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild