E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I will be doing some extended work on my E60 with regards to electricals (currently not working). I know I can drop it off at the dealer and pick it up several thousands of $$ later, and I might need to do that, but does anyone know what the main computer/brain is that drives the iDrive functions? My newb brain tells me I can simply get the part and replace the old one which I believe is toast (water damaged prolly - don't ask )
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Can you reveal a bit more of the story? A bunch of us on this forum have built/replaced various harnesses.

If you look on realoem.com you'll see that many pieces of the harness can be bought separately, and in worst case situations you can order the plugs and socket terminals from the dealer and supply your own wire.

The source of iDrive function is the stereo unit itself. Yes it can be replaced (search eBay) but will most likely need programming.

Do you have navigation or no? If yes, search eBay for 'E60 CCC' unless your car is really new, then search for CIC. If you do not have navigation, search for 'E60 mask' or 'E60 m-ask'.

I think you'll be pleased to see this is a lot easier than it seems.
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:28 AM
Contributors

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I bought a project vehicle site unseen and got it last night. The good news is the engine runs. But none of the electricals work. The first thing I'd like to tackle is getting the iDrive functions going and I saw this part # 65 12 9 119 363 on Real-Oem. I do have navigation. It's an '07 530xi that seems to have HUD among other things I'm yet to find out about

Edit: So I looked for the E60 CCC, and I believe I now know what to do. I'll start by taking out what I have and checking to see if power is getting to the unit.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-27-2012 | 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Good luck, sounds like a fun project! If I was closer I'd volunteer to help.
Old 01-27-2012 | 02:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Invest in good service manual and volt/ohm meter.
Here's a link to wiring diagams and schematics: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm
Good luck with the repairs!
Old 01-27-2012 | 08:02 PM
Contributors

Good luck, sounds like a fun project! If I was closer I'd volunteer to help.
Thanks for the sentiment. You've already helped as it is.

Invest in good service manual and volt/ohm meter.
Here's a link to wiring diagams and schematics: http://www.bmw-plane...60e61/index.htm
Good luck with the repairs!
Thanks for the info. Especially the link. Looks like I wasted money on ordering a WDS off of ebay

I'll update as I get stuff to work. So far I have the lighting control module on its way. I'll start tomorrow by taking the CCC out.
Old 01-28-2012 | 10:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Sounds like we are attempting the same project. Please post details as you go, that will really help me out. Thanks. Here is my project.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/120...1#entry1415620

You should also check the micro control module in the trunk, from what i read that controls the radio. If your car may have been exposed to water back there.
Old 01-28-2012 | 02:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Sounds like we are attempting the same project. Please post details as you go, that will really help me out. Thanks. Here is my project.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/120...1#entry1415620

You should also check the micro control module in the trunk, from what i read that controls the radio. If your car may have been exposed to water back there.
You're right we're on the same mission. For me aside from the car running, the only other things that work are the sunroof and the central locking (except for the passenger door). So far I've taken off all panels from the trunk.It's now time to start hunting for the dead modules. I'll keep all updated with what works and doesn't and I'm more than happy to get any ideas. The link 530inOk provided for WDS seems like it will be invaluable.
Old 01-28-2012 | 06:49 PM
Contributors

Update: So it looks like my first issue is with the MPM. I've seen a bunch of pictures on the forums showing the module and location. I have a similar white box but... mine is not an MPM. The label on it does not say MPM, nor does the plug look like the one I found here http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES169200/ES169200/

Below are the pics that I have from the same location the MPM is supposed to be. I'm pretty noob at searching these forums, but I'd like to know what the RDC is and if it's related to the MPM.

Complete Electrical Rebuild-img_20120128_212254.jpg

Complete Electrical Rebuild-img_20120128_212332.jpg

After some more searching, I see that that's just the TPM system. So back to the WDS to see where they moved the MPM to for my year.
Old 01-28-2012 | 07:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I think that seems to be related to Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor ... I've seen the word BERU but couldn't remember exactly where...

As for the MPM I think starting from around our year BMW moved it out off from the bottom of spare tire location, not to sure if they got rid of that (due to water pooling when opening trunk during rain) and went w/ somethin' different of maybe moved it together w/ the trunk fuse panel location.

Originally Posted by korrosive
Update: So it looks like my first issue is with the MPM. I've seen a bunch of pictures on the forums showing the module and location. I have a similar white box but... mine is not an MPM. The label on it does not say MPM, nor does the plug look like the one I found here http://www.ecstuning...69200/ES169200/

Below are the pics that I have from the same location the MPM is supposed to be. I'm pretty noob at searching these forums, but I'd like to know what the RDC is and if it's related to the MPM.

Attachment 129917

Attachment 129918

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild