E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Good luck with the project! You'll probably need to do some coding as well.

www.bmwcoding.com
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Just got off the phone with the dealer. Not good quote $28K, laughable. I expected that. Anyway he said all the following components were dead:

TCU
Fiberoptic lens behind steering wheel
Air conditioning/heating motor shorted
Both seat modules
Adaptive headlight modules
lamp control module
TDC
RDC
Steering sensors
ASM (not sure what that is)
Needs new wiring harness(sure they would say that)

Dealer also said a used part can never be coded to the car, is this true?

Korosive:
He said the CIC/CCC not coming on could be caused by the TCU, battery safety terminal, the fiberoptic lens, and the amplifier. Any one or a combination. Also said if the TCU is dead then all the components down stream will be dead.

Not sure if I want to continue. I'm studying for the bar exam and I won't really get to work on the car until the end of February.
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Good luck with the project! You'll probably need to do some coding as well.

www.bmwcoding.com
Cool deal!! I have just ordered the cable to hook up to the OBD port in preparation for the coding. I will scour that site to see what I need to do.
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Not good quote $28K, laughable. I expected that. Anyway he said all the following components were dead:

TCU
Fiberoptic lens behind steering wheel
Air conditioning/heating motor shorted
Both seat modules
Adaptive headlight modules
lamp control module
TDC
RDC
Steering sensors
ASM (not sure what that is)
Needs new wiring harness(sure they would say that)

Dealer also said a used part can never be coded to the car, is this true?

Korosive:
He said the CIC/CCC not coming on could be caused by the TCU, battery safety terminal, the fiberoptic lens, and the amplifier. Any one or a combination. Also said if the TCU is dead then all the components down stream will be dead.

Not sure if I want to continue. I'm studying for the bar exam and I won't really get to work on the car until the end of February.
Eeeek!!

That's enough to make me fold into the fetal position and start crying. I need to read up on the TCU and ASM and figure out what those are and where I can source them. I was banking on the body gateway module (KGM) being the answer to half my problems.

As far as used parts being able to be coded, I know the dealership won't do it. I purchased a used computer for my current E46 and the dealer would not touch it. $4K later after sitting at the dealership, I got the car working fine. Now whether the coding/programming can be done on used parts at all, I hope to learn that by reading through the coding forums.

Nonetheless, I'm feeling pretty good about the project in whole and will press on. The KGM replacement should really set the bar as to whether this will work or if it's time to throw in the towel.
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by korrosive
Eeeek!!

That's enough to make me fold into the fetal position and start crying. I need to read up on the TCU and ASM and figure out what those are and where I can source them. I was banking on the body gateway module (KGM) being the answer to half my problems.

Nonetheless, I'm feeling pretty good about the project in whole and will press on. The KGM replacement should really set the bar as to whether this will work or if it's time to throw in the towel.
The TCU is on the left side of the trunk, it controls all the telecommunications, Have you lifted the carpets? I'm gonna take an hour and try to do that this week.
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:09 AM
Contributors

The TCU is on the left side of the trunk, it controls all the telecommunications, Have you lifted the carpets? I'm gonna take an hour and try to do that this week.
From the left side of the trunk, I took out the IBOC tuner (on it's way), and BlueTooth module (holding off on ordering this). I have not removed the carpeting, but I'll be doing that sometime this week when I'm home in the daylight (looking like Thursday). I'll take a look at the WDS to see if I can find the TCU.
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by korrosive
From the left side of the trunk, I took out the IBOC tuner (on it's way), and BlueTooth module (holding off on ordering this). I have not removed the carpeting, but I'll be doing that sometime this week when I'm home in the daylight (looking like Thursday). I'll take a look at the WDS to see if I can find the TCU.

The one part I was holding off on ordering (who really needs bluetooth when other stuff is not working) is the one part that I might need to replace. From looking at the WDS, it kept pointing to the Bluetooth module I removed and checking on eBay that IS the TCU. Sheesh. Now I just need to decide if I should simply replace it or wait to see if the other parts address the issue
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:57 PM
Contributors

So I managed to pull up some carpet and it is indeed wet below the padding. I can't remove the seats as they won't move. So I really need the KGM to work so that I can remove the carpet and padding and source that from somewhere.
Old 01-31-2012 | 04:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

I picked up the car from the dealer today, drove it around the block, had to jump it. It drove well but no power steering. I need some input on what controls the power steering and what do I need to get the headlights going.

Here is a list of what the dealer suggest maybe it could help you find some parts or figure something out. Also anyone, what could cause that servotronic failure? What is that thing "final stage" and the "stepper motor" on the last pic?
Attached Thumbnails Complete Electrical Rebuild-imag0214.jpg   Complete Electrical Rebuild-imag0215.jpg   Complete Electrical Rebuild-imag0216.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012 | 05:22 AM
Contributors

I myself do not have a clue what those would be, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Sucks to hear about the car dying and needing a jump. So do you know how they were able to pull these fault messages? Was it simply through the OBD connector?

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild