E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012 | 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess the dirt is from the water. Let me know how you fare with getting the AC working. Also were u able to determine if you have HUD?
Old 03-07-2012 | 10:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by korrosive
I'd guess the dirt is from the water. Let me know how you fare with getting the AC working. Also were u able to determine if you have HUD?
I do not have HUD, kinda relieved, one less thing to replace. The battery is out of the car and I won't put it back until I can replace the carpet and do that damn steering wheel, still no luck on that. Gonna try to do the carpet next but my friend is being lazy I need him to help me get the seats out. I am hoping the AC/Heat will work I didn't see any water damge behind the blower, and the control switchs all work.
Old 03-11-2012 | 09:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

I put the battery back today, the monster started up like a charm, even drove it to a nearby gas station. I changed the SZL, final stage blower and regulator, and carpet. The carpet was tough, hope I never have to do that again. The wipers do not work, the sprays does work.

Few issues, I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone.
1. A green light on the driver door button stays lit even after the car is off.
2. The shift indicator light, on the shifter, does not change, it is lit but does not change color when you shift gears. eg P,R,N,D,...light does not change.
3. The indicators does not go off automatically when you turn the steering wheel, have to manually turn it off. (The SZL it not programmed it is used, not sure if that have any effect or not.

Korrosive,
Did you have any of these issues? Did you fix the window isuues?
Old 03-12-2012 | 03:35 AM
Members

Hi guys. I will be doing some extended work on my E60 with regards to electricals (currently not working). I know I can drop it off at the dealer and pick it up several thousands of $$ later, and I might need to do that, but does anyone know what the main computer/brain is that drives the iDrive functions? My newb brain tells me I can simply get the part and replace the old one which I believe is toast (water damaged prolly - don't ask )

Wow that will be cool for you dear, best of luck............
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I put the battery back today, the monster started up like a charm, even drove it to a nearby gas station. I changed the SZL, final stage blower and regulator, and carpet. The carpet was tough, hope I never have to do that again. The wipers do not work, the sprays does work.

1. A green light on the driver door button stays lit even after the car is off. ~ Not sure what this light is. My master switch lights up, but none of the controls work. I have the part on order.
2. The shift indicator light, on the shifter, does not change, it is lit but does not change color when you shift gears. eg P,R,N,D,...light does not change. ~ I have a manual tranny so I can't help here.
3. The indicators does not go off automatically when you turn the steering wheel, have to manually turn it off. (The SZL it not programmed it is used, not sure if that have any effect or not. ~ This was frustrating for me. I was cursing the thing because I knew I needed to replace something (steering angle sensor maybe)

Korrosive,
Answers added in quotes above. On the indicators, I was certainly sad about that. On Saturday, I was watching top gear on street fire.net and decided to search the one they did on the E60 M5. I was bored at work. The guy was bashing the vehicle and mentioned something that other members on here will need to validate. One of his complaints was that the indicators did not automatically turn off after you made your turn. Basically the exact symptom you have and that I have too. It would seem absurd to me that any vehicle would not have the indicator turn off after taking a corner, but that's what he reported.

So can anyone chime in as to how the indicators function?

I'm waiting on the driver's door master switch to see if I get the windows working.
Old 03-12-2012 | 08:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Answers added in quotes above. On the indicators, I was certainly sad about that. On Saturday, I was watching top gear on street fire.net and decided to search the one they did on the E60 M5. I was bored at work. The guy was bashing the vehicle and mentioned something that other members on here will need to validate. One of his complaints was that the indicators did not automatically turn off after you made your turn. Basically the exact symptom you have and that I have too. It would seem absurd to me that any vehicle would not have the indicator turn off after taking a corner, but that's what he reported.

So can anyone chime in as to how the indicators function?

I'm waiting on the driver's door master switch to see if I get the windows working.
No indicator auto turn off doesn't sound plausable to me. That is like a rudimentary feature. I was researching it and someone mentioned the clock spring, when I changed the SZL I did mess with the clock spring because I had to remove it. I didn't know you shouldn't turn it I was checking it out and spun it a few times. I did line it up. It makes 7 full turns so I gave it 3 1/2 back to center. The person was saying that is what tells the indicator when it is back at center. When I look it up in the TIS there are bold warnings not to turn the clock spring.
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

This weekend I went to install the wiper motor, and we realized the old motor was not connected I reconnected the old motor an lo and behold the thing works just fine. So now I'll need to take the replacement wiper motor back and probably eat a $20 restocking fee. I have no idea why anyone would unplug the motor
Seems like the same asshole worked on my car. I went to take a look and the motor was disconnected, connected it and the wipers were good to go. I pulled and checked every fuse and I still can't get the Blower going. The motor I used was a used one from ebay. I guess i'll have to go back in and see if power is getting to it. I believe power is getting to it because I have power everywhere else. Everything is working except seats, blower and entire MOST(seats are actually intermittent.
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115

1. A green light on the driver door button stays lit even after the car is off.
2. The shift indicator light, on the shifter, does not change, it is lit but does not change color when you shift gears. eg P,R,N,D,...light does not change.
3. The indicators does not go off automatically when you turn the steering wheel, have to manually turn it off. (The SZL it not programmed it is used, not sure if that have any effect or not.

Korrosive,
Sorry if I am redundant I did not read all replies
1. Green light on drive's door is normal.
2. Shift indicator light is probably not plugged in correctly after carpet change.There is a ribbon cable that needs to be attached so lift up the shift boot and look at the underside of the shifting panel.
3. Indicator issue could be a fault with SZL. The DSC, SZL are tied together. When you successfully replace/program a DSC module you will have to initialize all Windows switches and the wipers will also activate. All the symptoms you are having seem to be related to Programming issues.
Old 03-19-2012 | 05:08 AM
Contributors

So yesterday afternoon after work I tried to pursue removing the dash for the HUD replacement. The thing would not budge, so I have tabled that idea. I will finish replacing the AC regulator and then start sewing her back up. Today I have it into an indy shop because I need the engine mount reattached to the engine. For some reason, the previous guy managed to snap all screws that attach the mount arm to the engine on the exhaust side. Not sure what the hell the previous guy that abandoned it was doing other than causing me more grief

So far I've found the front passenger door disconnected, wiper motor disconnected, steering adjustment disconnected, and now motor mount arm screws snapped.

As long as the engine mount arm can be reattached, I'll be able to finally start using it as a daily driver
Old 03-19-2012 | 06:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

So yesterday afternoon after work I tried to pursue removing the dash for the HUD replacement. The thing would not budge, so I have tabled that idea. I will finish replacing the AC regulator and then start sewing her back up. Today I have it into an indy shop because I need the engine mount reattached to the engine. For some reason, the previous guy managed to snap all screws that attach the mount arm to the engine on the exhaust side. Not sure what the hell the previous guy that abandoned it was doing other than causing me more grief

So far I've found the front passenger door disconnected, wiper motor disconnected, steering adjustment disconnected, and now motor mount arm screws snapped.

As long as the engine mount arm can be reattached, I'll be able to finally start using it as a daily driver
Good for you, these guys are a bunch of asses. Hopefully you can get it reattached. Was that the cause of the knocking you found earlier? Where did you find the connection for the steering wheel adjustment? mine does not work either, I know I attached the switch to the steering column was there some place else to look?

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild