E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Combox question for my 2010 e60..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Combox question for my 2010 e60..?

Hi,

To all my amazing and more-experienced bmw owners & coders out there.. I need ur guidance to figure out if I can enable enhanced bt or not.. so I’ve coded most of the parts needed in my car.. I even brought out all the Bluetooth menu options but with no luck to get it working I gave up on it a month ago or so, but now that I just took apart a 535i to part out, which was two years older than mine(so that one was a 2008 and mine is a 2010), I noticed the Bluetooth modules in the trunk and so I’m back at it lool so I’ve been scratching my head at trying to code It into my e60 and thought I’d give it one more shot but seek the proper guidance from you amazing people

Ok so I have, Carly for BMW(which is too basic to even use for this kinda stuff), I have all the programs on my laptop including ista-p but I’m not too familiar with those just yet..

So I used ProTools by BimmerGeeks and it seemed to have activated all the correct menu options I needed for the enhanced Bluetooth to work.. I never figured out the proper 3 letters needed to be added to my VO.. the letters I added which I think at the time was either 6NL or something along those lines, ended up breaking my audio completely and so I had no sound whatsoever coming out of my speaker.. until I restored everything back to Factory .. if someone can help me solve the proper thing to add to my VO.. I live in Canada btw.. and I think my other issue was figuring out the kind of “combox” I have available in my car.. so I have something for satellite radio on the left side panel in my trunk.. and then under my spare tire and stuff, I got a module that says T8G-MULF2-HI.. then not sure if this car I own (my actual car /2010) has these other modules in it(I wasn’t the one that removed these off of the ‘08 535i that we are parting out, so not sure where exactly they are if I have them) but there’s one thing that says BMW TCU1.5 MOST US on it, and another that is a lot smaller which reads HARMAN/BECKER AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS on the side of it.. now if I’m not mistaken, my car has the “telematics” section available in my coding modules.. does that mean I have the telematics combox from one of those three things in my trunk? And if so, what are the differences? I don’t think my “TCU1.5 MOST US” box/module has the word GSM on it, like the ones I found on eBay do.. but when I search up e60 combox, some of the ones being sold on eBay and other sites, match these??

i have AUX in my car of course, I have one USB slotin my glovebox, and another in the middle “arm-rest”.. I can copy music to my iDrive’s HDD off a USB in the glovebox.. or I can play music directly off of a USB, but in the “arm-rest’s” USB slot.. for some reason, the update file I get from bmw’s actual website, which should be activating my enhanced Bluetooth itself, isn’t getting detected by my car at all.. I’ve tried formatting the USB several different ways with no luck but hey so if I’m in luck and have a combox in my car, can u guys guide me in terms of the “3-letters” I need to add to my VO for a Canadian- based region BMW lol?

any helpful insight and/or guidance would be so appreciated by this confused soul thanks a lot in advance every1
Old 08-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

In the rear trunk driver side you need to remove the panel to see what you have. There's no way to get enhanced Bluetooth with the software you have now. You will need the E90 CIC file and manipulation to get it working. Do you have an F10 or E60. I think 2010 was a split year so you have the CIC or NBT. Very important information to what you are trying to update. I think you need to figure out your engine issue before doing anything else to know if you're going to keep the car or get rid of it.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 08-04-2021 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Killaduce (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
In the rear trunk driver side you need to remove the panel to see what you have. There's no way to get enhanced Bluetooth with the software you have now. You will need the E90 CIC file and manipulation to get it working. Do you have an F10 or E60. I think 2010 was a split year so you have the CIC or NBT. Very important information to what you are trying to update. I think you need to figure out your engine issue before doing anything else to know if you're going to keep the car or get rid of it.
seens like ur the only dude willing to spare his time to help us beginners out man lol.. dono how to even thank u tbh..

I havr the e60.. and while I wait for my brother to swing by this week(since he’s a lot more experienced than me with this car and owned it before me + changed/fixed everything himself) I just wanna be able to do something for the car myself while I wait lol..

do any of the modules seem like a combox to u? And in terms of taking the code from another model, can u plz guide me to how I can do that quickly man? I’m a quick learner and I’m good with computers.. I have all the necessary softwares on my laptop that I need for the car.. just need to be pointed in the right direction man thank u
Old 08-05-2021, 06:22 AM
New Members

So I found all my Bluetooth modules in the trunk
I got something that says TOP HIFI M F07 Verst attached to the TCU1.5 MOST GSM US that’s also attached to some little unknown box and they all lead to the SiriusXM module and then down to under the spare tire where the Bluetooth module MULF2 sits and the PDC module etc.. plz see attached screenshots.. does that mean I have the teleatiks combox since I got the GSM tcu?

Old 08-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Probation Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i

I did this same retrofit last year, and I have the same model and year as you.

High level: You don't have a Combox. You have a TCU and a MULF (as noted in the photos). Those have to be replaced with a Combox hardware unit.

There's an easy way and a hard way to do this. I went the easy way, and bought the Combox retrofit kit from bimmertech. You get a salvaged unit from an E90 or E70 or something, all of the wiring harnesses to install it, and a coding session where someone remotely codes your car to work with the Combox.

The hard way is cheaper, but requires a much deeper knowledge of coding with NCSExpect/NCSDummy because the car requires an SSD file from a newer production model car to enable CIC to interact with the Combox.

I love mine, btw, it was one of the best mods I've done.
Killaduce (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 09:39 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by secondVariety
I did this same retrofit last year, and I have the same model and year as you.

High level: You don't have a Combox. You have a TCU and a MULF (as noted in the photos). Those have to be replaced with a Combox hardware unit.

There's an easy way and a hard way to do this. I went the easy way, and bought the Combox retrofit kit from bimmertech. You get a salvaged unit from an E90 or E70 or something, all of the wiring harnesses to install it, and a coding session where someone remotely codes your car to work with the Combox.

The hard way is cheaper, but requires a much deeper knowledge of coding with NCSExpect/NCSDummy because the car requires an SSD file from a newer production model car to enable CIC to interact with the Combox.

I love mine, btw, it was one of the best mods I've done.
thanks for the advice man! appreciate it a lot!
im sorta confused because to my understanding, there’s a tele-combox and like just a standard bt-combox.. and not only do i have the gsm version(which is diff than the regular module) but when i even search combox bmw on ebay or google, my exact GSM module pops up as combox options fo purchase?
Old 08-14-2021, 09:45 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

While you are in there, get all the electronics out of the spare tire location. A good spill in the trunk or clogged drains can get water in the trunk and ruin the electronics and your day or week or month or wallet.
secondVariety (08-14-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i

Originally Posted by Killaduce
thanks for the advice man! appreciate it a lot!
im sorta confused because to my understanding, there’s a tele-combox and like just a standard bt-combox.. and not only do i have the gsm version(which is diff than the regular module) but when i even search combox bmw on ebay or google, my exact GSM module pops up as combox options fo purchase?
you don't have a combox. Knowing that you are not familiar with BMW coding tool, I will simply pay for complete solution or simply get an aftermarket BT adapter. Easiest route is to connect it to aux port and power from usb port in your center console. You can install a passive hub in case you play music from usb thumb drive.
Also there are other wireless solutions by coding CD changer (or simply replacing it with BT module). This will allow you to connect via MOST interface in case you are paranoid about analog to digital conversion.

My understanding with combox coding you will loose the ability to control center vents temperature independently since it was only available on e60 (not on e70 nor e90).