E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Class Action Lawsuit against BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Many have said they don't want to be part of this lawsuit and added they just threw away the notice. Yet as I read it, you are "in" the class by default and you have to "opt out" by exception with a letter to the two parties lawyers by Aug 10th.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='453175
Spoken like a true lawyer. Is this class action lawsuit really necessary? Lawyers in the suit are out to to line their pockets at our expense on this one. And this is relatively typical. If one looks at polls of which professions are respected in American society, lawyers fall to the bottom, right around used car salesmen. Congress should make the loser pay in unsuccessful lawsuits. However most members of Congress are lawyers, so that will never happen.
Uh, I'm a software developer...

What are you talking about... A lawyer is evil for trying to line his pocket? We're all trying to line our pockets.

Just because they're filing suit doesn't mean they've won. BMW AG isn't some mom-and-pop not-for-profit, they've a ton of money and know how to defend themselves.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

It's good to keep the manufactures in line sometimes.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='453310' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:08 PM
It good to keep the manufactures in line sometimes.

I have that default error on passanger airbag problem!

whom do i contact

rj
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='453327' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:23 AM
I have that default error on passanger airbag problem!

whom do i contact

rj

Your nearest BMW dealer...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by Tangled' post='453090
Spoken like a true lawyer. Is this class action lawsuit really necessary? Lawyers in the suit are out to to line their pockets at our expense on this one. And this is relatively typical. If one looks at polls of which professions are respected in American society, lawyers fall to the bottom, right around used car salesmen. Congress should make the loser pay in unsuccessful lawsuits. However most members of Congress are lawyers, so that will never happen.

The "loser pays" (also known as the English Rules) is laughable. As if the mega wealthy corporate world doesnt already dominate the common man, if the loser had to pay, only the uber wealthy would have lawyers. Not a world any of us would want to live in, I assure you. You'd still be driving a Pinto-like car that exploded when rear ended...

Besides, Congress is too busy with the debacle in Iraq and our lying Attorney General (speaking of filthy lawyers...). I am surprised, though, that corporate america hasnt pushed the "loser pays" idea more than they already have...

And not to be too touchy, but Pharding, its interesting that as an architect, you have no trouble judging the relative worth of lawyers and car salesmen? I know some very good, honest and hardworking car salesmen, and I also happen to know a rather smooth talking & slick architect, yet I make no judgments across the board about people based on their profession. Besides architectural design, are you also somehow working to help solve the world's poverty & hunger problems in your spare time? Or perhaps helping find a cure to cancer? Or, like the rest of us, just doing whatever you can to make a nice living? Let's not judge others from our ivory tower, even if you did design it yourself. My point is that everyone has a role in society, and until you need that particular role, one shouldnt be so judgmental.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='453520' date='Jul 30 2007, 07:42 PM
As a lawyer who actually DOES medical malpractice work (for patients - I used to represent docs, hospitals and their insurers), I actually agree that some caps would be a good thing. The difficulty, however, is finding a cap that is fair to all sides. In Indiana, the cap is $1.25 million, which sounds like a lot, but to a family of a 40 year old wage earner who dies on the table due to malpractice, the loss falls short of even their economic losses, let alone the emotional consequences. In all honesty, a cap of $3 million would be fair - it would keep premiums in check by avoiding those ridiculous monster crushing verdicts that only serve to make my job more difficult in the eyes of the general public.
I have no idea what a fair cap would be, but I think we agree that there's an imbalance between settling personal loss and serving the greater good. The obvious counter-point to the deceased 40 year old are the growing number of families who can?t even afford to get their bread-winner on the table, and a half dozen young people that settle for computer science or law because anesthesiology is too financially cumbersome.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I under no circumstances hate lawyers, it is the people that procure lawyers in most cases. I actually have one retained as we speak because of someone not paying attention and slamming into me at a light and subsequently haveing to have hip surgery and possibly haveing to change careers as a result. In this case lost wages and pain, and potential earnings lost warrents one.

Phoney and frivalous money seekers have truely tainted the system for the people who really suffer under circumstances out of there control, so most lawers get a bad rap as you said we want them when we need them, but when they are against you they are shisters.

In a nut shell the American justice system needs to be looked at and revamped to truley help the innocent and swiftly punish the guilty, whether it is a person or corporation, we have no deteriant to violent crime except to house and educate most at the tax payers exspense, even penalty is not a deteriant as that person can appeal and appeal so many times that it cost use more and cludders up the courts. If you are caught dead to rights on tape irrefutable eye witnesses, dna, video, and the like should encounter swift punishment, public stoneing and gallows, fireing squads would be a start (lol)

Again sorry for the rant this was about class action suits and I strayed I appologise.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='453520' date='Jul 30 2007, 09:42 PM
.... I actually agree that some caps would be a good thing. The difficulty, however, is finding a cap that is fair to all sides. In Indiana, the cap is $1.25 million, which sounds like a lot, but to a family of a 40 year old wage earner who dies on the table due to malpractice, the loss falls short of even their economic losses, let alone the emotional consequences. In all honesty, a cap of $3 million would be fair - it would keep premiums in check by avoiding those ridiculous monster crushing verdicts that only serve to make my job more difficult in the eyes of the general public.
In every state that I'm familiar with that has introduced tort reform w/ caps on damages, the cap applies only to non-economic damages, like "pain & suffering". Economic damages, such as medical bills and lost future wages, are unlimited.

I'm not against lawyers (in fact I work with many and enjoy it), but trying to quantify non-economic damages can get out of hand sometimes, and a cap makes sense.

....now back to the thread topic...

Ask your dealer to fix the airbag problem. If they won't, then you should weigh your options with regard to the class action - either join it, or seek you own remedy.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Contributors

I'm just curious is there any updates on the airbags issue, is there a recall a settlement or anything, i want to take my car in to fix the airbag problem. Because if i wait any longer i don't know if my warranty will expire, i have the extended warranty up to 100 k only, i already pass 50k on my car. should i just take it to the dealer and let them know about the issue hoping they will still fix my car without any problems the dealer will give me, any help suggestions. THanks.

Quick Reply: Class Action Lawsuit against BMW