E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CIP 12.1 FM Reception Problem with CCC

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took redelivery of my 545 on Aug 2nd and the dealer had upgraded the software to CIP 12.0. My radio now is a disaster and BMW is not willing to help. The problem is that the radio AM/FM reception is extremely poor. If I rotate the car by 20 degrees I typically lose or gain 35% of the station. The funny thing is that problem wasn't there when I was in Europe. Unfortunately it took 10 days to get a service appointment and I got the back window tinted (Huper Optik 40%) during that period and now the dealer won't even look at the problem because of the tint (btw the problem existed before the tint). I suspect that the problem is software related (i.e. the diversity module is picking the wrong signal). I have NAV so my car has a CCC computer vs M-ASK (I know that a similar problem existed on the M-ASK computer earlier this year). Any suggestions or anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Smile

I also have this problem. The reception is HORRIBLE and my dealer is perplexed. I also have the CCC since I have NAV. AM reception is especially bad and I hear strange static with each spoken word. It's like "feedback" when someone talks on AM.

Also now, no RDS is working on cars with NAV.

I also hear random "pops" when listening to certain CDs at louder volumes. The dealer cannot seem to fix this and I have version 12.12 now. I'm pissed though. What bugs me the most is that they can always tell us "we need to wait and see if a subsequent software upgrade addresses this". How long can they string us along with that anyway? It's not like they're even "sure".

My passenger side window still rolls up and down when I try to raise it sometimes (anti trap feature not working correctly) and the "passenger airbag" light still comes on sometimes when a passenger is sitting there. I thought that was going to be fixed with version 12.

Anyway, I'm getting close to getting a lawyer and pursuing the lemon law thing. This is just ridiculous and I'm frustrated.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 555' date='Aug 16 2004, 12:42 PM
My passenger side window still rolls up and down when I try to raise it sometimes (anti trap feature not working correctly) and the "passenger airbag" light still comes on sometimes when a passenger is sitting there. I thought that was going to be fixed with version 12.
Your window needs to be reinitialized. Here's the directions my technician gave me for doing so:

"The problem you are having with the window sounds like it has lost initialization. It is a simple matter to initialize a front window on your car. Lift and hold the passenger front window switch in the up position. Continue to hold up on the switch for 2-3 seconds after the window is completely up, lower the window, and then repeat the procedure. This lets the vehicle learn where the upper limit of travel is on the window sensor."

Hope this works for you!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 AM
DAT

I also have poor reception (AM worse that FM)...Dealer has indicated that there is no fix planned. As to the air bag light issue you mentioned, I have the same issue (and I suspect everyone one else does also). As it was explained to me, the air bag does not turn on (for safety reasons) if the person in the passenger seat weighs less than 115# or has "narrow hips." As my wife is not a stout German girl, no air bag for her!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think this is too ridiculous for words.. BMW can expect big claims if someone gets injured in an accident because the airbag didn't work..
Old 08-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

FWIW, I have CIP12.x and NAV and do not have, nor have I ever had, bad FM or AM reception the likes that you describe. My AM reception is quite good, and my FM reception is as good or better than in my 330.

I will also say this: when I had my 330, it was tinted with some sort of metallic film such that when I turned on the rear-window defroster coils, my AM reception would go to pot. I haven't tinted the 545 (and probably won't since I have the sunshades), and I have no AM reception issues when I activate the rear-window defogger.

-MrB
Old 08-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I think it's somewhat sporadic from car to car. My car has no tinting at all and horrible reception, especially AM. And asside from the reception, every single spoken word on AM is followed by slight, but noticable feedback or static. It's weird.

As for the fix listed above for the window issue, THANKS! That seems to have worked.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:35 PM

MY AM reception has been poor since I TOOK DELIVERY OF my 545 It hasn?t changed through the three software updates it has been through.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

MY AM reception has been poor since I TOOK DELIVERY OF my 545 It hasn?t changed through the three software updates it has been through.