E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car in Shop for almost a week...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

You should have kept the car you had before this one.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99
I can't imagine the man hours that went into trying to resolved this issue vs. what one battery would have cost BMW from the start.
I think you may be giving the dealership too much credit. Mechanics get paid by book work hours and they'll take the quick and easy jobs first. Your car most likely sat most of the time and was looked at here and there when all other jobs were done.

Also keep in mind your own experiences where something should have made sense but just wouldn't work right. These guys put a new battery in and it seemed to test fine on a load tester. Hard to just ignore that fact and throw a new battery in right away. Many things in life are in hindsight.

Personally I would have requested a loaner whether I had another car or not since you are leasing and making a payment of some sorts daily.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Roundel550
I think you may be giving the dealership too much credit. Mechanics get paid by book work hours and they'll take the quick and easy jobs first. Your car most likely sat most of the time and was looked at here and there when all other jobs were done.

Also keep in mind your own experiences where something should have made sense but just wouldn't work right. These guys put a new battery in and it seemed to test fine on a load tester. Hard to just ignore that fact and throw a new battery in right away. Many things in life are in hindsight.

Personally I would have requested a loaner whether I had another car or not since you are leasing and making a payment of some sorts daily.
They did not replace the battery at all the first time...stupid machine told them it was "fine" when it clearly was not. I had to have it die the week after for this last try began. I don't give them credit at all....they dropped the ball big time...4 months of battery drain warnings and they send me home the first time with a charge only? What a joke.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i

I don't get it. Is it these cars or the dealers. These battery horror stories are so hard to imagine. Can't they simply test the battery voltage not running, if it is low, charge the battery fully, and then hook up the same volt meter and check the voltage drop while cranking to start engine. If all is good, hook up the same VOM without car running to see if there is static draw on the battery and that after the 15 minutes or so that the car goes to sleep that the draw is at the bare minimum for clock and whatever else these cars need for memory? And having to take your car to have an OEM battery and have it registered for $400 or more is just nuts. How IBS is that?