E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car in Shop for almost a week...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I just love my 550i...towed 4 times since I've had it. This past one was due to ongoing battery drain issue. It finally started to die on me, and then I got all of the nice warnings that go with it, Servotronic, PDC, Brake assist...you name it. I have reset the clock so many times I can do it without looking, almost.

I had the car in 2 weeks ago for this....of course they told me the battery was fine, and that I drive like Miss Daisy...not enough. So, they recharged the battery, and it was almost totally dead within a few days. I got it started, barely, 5 days after they charged it...went to work, and there it DIED and stayed overnight until the flatbed came to get it. They couldn't even find me a tow at 2AM! I had to get a ride home from someone at work. Despite trying to jump start it, it would NOT turn over...period. It cranked hard, but it wouldn't start.

The dealership has not been able to get it started either since taking it in last Friday....they didn't even call me today, which means there are more problems than just that damn battery. The guy had the nerve to tell me 2 days ago that they still think the battery is fine!!! But they can't find the problem...oh well, tick tock!

I have till Sept. 2nd, and then it's someone else's problem for good, but it would be nice to drive it while I am paying for the privilege.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I'm sure this is obvious but did they check the alternator?

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

the TCU has been known to crap out and stay on, thus draining the battery. check that and the comfort access modules too.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

Hi DrLev99,

After going through all of these issues with your car, would you still recommend a 5 series for purchase?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
Hi DrLev99,
After going through all of these issues with your car, would you still recommend a 5 series for purchase?
Oooooo and that 2011 550 Loaded Graphite Gray w/Sport was looking soooo good to me

Maybe I should spend my $71K somewhere else
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

I had the same problems...bit the bullet and had a new OEM installed battery by dealership and
not a one Idrive chime since...I also drive this car very little!
If I can give one good piece of advice on our E60s...buy a good battery tender!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Like I said above, this is not just a battery issue. Something is draining the battery, and a tender would have been a band-aid only. Of course, I still would recommend one.

Update: I spoke to one of the SA today. They still have NOT been able to start the car. They believe, as was said above, that the computer could be going haywire which isn't allowing the modules to properly go to sleep nor allowing the car to start. The other theory is that some or all modules are bad...they cited 5 or 6 that they are going to try replacing in a series to see what happens overnight. I am guessing it's the computer, and if is, I won't be seeing my car for another week. I don't feel real confident that they know what the problem is or that they'll fix it on this 2nd try...will update once I know something.

Oh, I don't have comfort access...so rule that idea out. And the alternator is fine, so they say. The car would still start with a battery jump if was that the cause.

Hi DrLev99,

If you are willing to deal with some bumps along the rode, I'd recommend one but only under warranty. These cars are so complex that things are bound to go wrong. My issues have been ones that could have been fixed with one try, but they always seem to need a few shots before they get things right. I've had the car to 3 dealerships for work to be done since owning it, and they've all made mistakes in trying to fix problems....Having said that, the 3 E60's I've owned have been the most fun cars I've ever had, esp. the M5.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Sorry about your Pens.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Hi DrLev99,

Really?????

Originally Posted by DrLev99
Like I said above, this is not just a battery issue. Something is draining the battery, and a tender would have been a band-aid only. Of course, I still would recommend one.

Update: I spoke to one of the SA today. They still have NOT been able to start the car. They believe, as was said above, that the computer could be going haywire which isn't allowing the modules to properly go to sleep nor allowing the car to start. The other theory is that some or all modules are bad...they cited 5 or 6 that they are going to try replacing in a series to see what happens overnight. I am guessing it's the computer, and if is, I won't be seeing my car for another week. I don't feel real confident that they know what the problem is or that they'll fix it on this 2nd try...will update once I know something.

Oh, I don't have comfort access...so rule that idea out. And the alternator is fine, so they say. The car would still start with a battery jump if was that the cause.

If you are willing to deal with some bumps along the rode, I'd recommend one but only under warranty. These cars are so complex that things are bound to go wrong. My issues have been ones that could have been fixed with one try, but they always seem to need a few shots before they get things right. I've had the car to 3 dealerships for work to be done since owning it, and they've all made mistakes in trying to fix problems....Having said that, the 3 E60's I've owned have been the most fun cars I've ever had, esp. the M5.
I understand these cars are electronically complex but to not have any idea why it wont start??? They are a dealership... why havent they put a PUMA out or something for help...

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Sorry about your Pens.
I am not!!! As a Rangers season tix holder, I am happy to see the Pens out. I just wish the Flyers and Bruins went the same way!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Members

P.U.M.A !

Quick Reply: Car in Shop for almost a week...