E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone pls explain the change from auto to m/s on my shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Richard, that's actually the real question about the performance options of the SAT. While I'm aware of some of the changes implementing the "Sport" mode causes in steering and suspension, I'm not clear whether pushing the Sport button when in D mode is the same as, or different from, moving the shifter left to Sport mode. Similarly, when the shifter is left, I'm not clear whether then pushing the Sport button causes even sportier changes. While I've been intellectually curious about these matters, I quit thinking about it a while back and just concentrated on HANGING ON when the pedal's to the metal...

Cal
Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='1067986' date='Dec 4 2009, 06:05 PM
Richard, that's actually the real question about the performance options of the SAT. While I'm aware of some of the changes implementing the "Sport" mode causes in steering and suspension, I'm not clear whether pushing the Sport button when in D mode is the same as, or different from, moving the shifter left to Sport mode. Similarly, when the shifter is left, I'm not clear whether then pushing the Sport button causes even sportier changes. While I've been intellectually curious about these matters, I quit thinking about it a while back and just concentrated on HANGING ON when the pedal's to the metal...

Cal

+1
Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I frequently drive in M mode. It does seem to quicken and smooth out the throttle response a bit (compared to D), provides nice smooth around town shifts, and allows me to control the shift RPM. When I want to be more aggressive, I then press the sport button. I almost never drive in S mode. The shifts are just too high of RPM for around town.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I agree. And that V8 can wind up scary-fast....