E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone pls explain the change from auto to m/s on my shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 custom Range Rover, 2005 745li, FULL custom 1950 mercury, chopped and flame throwers, 1930 model A rat rod, nasty little bastard!! soon to be custom bmw 550 all white and black.

Yes I do know how to use my shifter, and switch between auto and manual, BUT this morning i was driving and wanted to pass some ppl on the freeway, so i switched to manual, i did not hit the sport button...just moved the shifter over to the left... should be manual now.. but on my dash comes up as "S"
So i shift, make some passes, and it switches back to "M" on the dash... keps going back and forth from m to s.
can somenoe explain why it goes from "M" and then to "S" and i wasnt using the paddles. i was shifting it with the shifter...
if this is the case when you shift to manual, whats the point of the sport button?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1067167' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:20 PM
Yes I do know how to use my shifter, and switch between auto and manual, BUT this morning i was driving and wanted to pass some ppl on the freeway, so i switched to manual, i did not hit the sport button...just moved the shifter over to the left... should be manual now.. but on my dash comes up as "S"
So i shift, make some passes, and it switches back to "M" on the dash... keps going back and forth from m to s.
can somenoe explain why it goes from "M" and then to "S" and i wasnt using the paddles. i was shifting it with the shifter...
if this is the case when you shift to manual, whats the point of the sport button?
I don't have a sport button, but this is the way it works on my car.

Normal mode = D (Auto)
shift to left= DS (Sport Auto)
once in DS, shift up/down= manual
once in manual, the only way to go back to auto is to shift to the right.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 custom Range Rover, 2005 745li, FULL custom 1950 mercury, chopped and flame throwers, 1930 model A rat rod, nasty little bastard!! soon to be custom bmw 550 all white and black.

I n the 355i sport there are different options once shifted over to the left.
you can keep it "m" or you can hit the sport button and use paddles shifters and it switches to "S"
but if you use the paddles even in "m" it switches to "S" also

i just dont know why its switching from m to s when i am shifting with the shifter up and down. and not in sport mode or using paddles..

anyone?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1067199' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:14 PM
I n the 355i sport...
what!! I want one of those!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1067194' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:07 PM
I don't have a sport button, but this is the way it works on my car.

Normal mode = D (Auto)
shift to left= DS (Sport Auto)
once in DS, shift up/down= manual
once in manual, the only way to go back to auto is to shift to the right.

ETA: oops replied to the wrong poster - this is meant for the OP, not you kgmccarthy...sorry...

not sure why, but your post is confusing the shit out of me. I have the SAT in my 550i and it works like this:

Normal mode = D
When in D if I shift with paddle it goes to M, but only for a few seconds then it automatically switches back to D
If I push the shifter over to the left, I get S on the dash display.
With the S, if I shift either the paddles or the shifter I get M on the display.
The only way to get back out of M is to push the shifter over to the right then back again which gives me the S display.

Now, when I push my Sport button I get the word SPORT displayed on the display. The sport button has nothing to do with the D-S or M on the display.

Does your's work differently from that?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1067210' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:27 PM
ETA: oops replied to the wrong poster - this is meant for the OP, not you kgmccarthy...sorry...

not sure why, but your post is confusing the shit out of me. I have the SAT in my 550i and it works like this:

Normal mode = D
When in D if I shift with paddle it goes to M, but only for a few seconds then it automatically switches back to D
If I push the shifter over to the left, I get S on the dash display.
With the S, if I shift either the paddles or the shifter I get M on the display.
The only way to get back out of M is to push the shifter over to the right then back again which gives me the S display.

Now, when I push my Sport button I get the word SPORT displayed on the display. The sport button has nothing to do with the D-S or M on the display.

Does your's work differently from that?

I have to laugh.. I am soo confused.....

But yes mine does work like that....
so basically EVERY time i switch over to the left. it goes to M, then goes to S?

when i push it back to the right it goes right back to D

im just wondering whats the difference between when it goes to the left and says M, then says S when i start shifting?
I assume M means manual? what does S mean then?
mine also says sport when i am in sport mode, it seems that the shifting pattern is just different in that mode...

apart from that...im still really confused..
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1067202' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:16 PM
what!! I want one of those!!!
Thats what i get for typing in traffic...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Many moons ago, people invented the owners manual....rumors say it still exists to this day.....

Just messin'
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1067270' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:46 PM
Many moons ago, people invented the owners manual....rumors say it still exists to this day.....

Just messin'
I have a huge folder with all my manual in it,,, from all the cars... and guess what.....my cleaning lady misplaced the folder!! :thumbsdown:
Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1067283' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:00 PM
I have a huge folder with all my manual in it,,, from all the cars... and guess what.....my cleaning lady misplaced the folder!! :thumbsdown:
you can download it from the bmw web site.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx

Quick Reply: Can someone pls explain the change from auto to m/s on my shifter