E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Camera under rear view mirror; what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1009666' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:53 PM
so does that feature work? is it worth it?
i have that.. first time i put it on it scared the shit out of me.. lolol.. im driving and all of a sudden the steering wheel shook like a motha.. i laughed at myself jumping, then i shut that shit off.. now i use it if im tired and on long drives... it keeps my ass on tip top shape and alert. i like it, but i dont know if i would pay extra to get it. ive drove without it my whole life. so its not something id run out to get. but its a cool option that came with my car. not complaining...lol..
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW should have a 360 degree, auto recording, monitoring security camera on the hood of the car. I'd buy that option in a heart beat.

My buddy just got one of these for recording his biking adventures:

http://www.vio-pov.com/

It records 4hrs of 720x480x30fps (dvd quality) video on a 4gb SD card. BMW can use a 320gb laptop hard drive instead and have just shy of 7 days worth of recording time for each camera, assuming it'd take 2 cameras to cover 360 degrees.

It probably would need a "garage mode" which would consist of something as simple as a transmitter you plug into an outlet in your garage. When you shutoff the engine, it listens for the transmitter's signal and if it hears it in your garage, it won't waste juice recording.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1010063' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:13 AM
i have that.. first time i put it on it scared the shit out of me.. lolol.. im driving and all of a sudden the steering wheel shook like a motha.. i laughed at myself jumping, then i shut that shit off.. now i use it if im tired and on long drives... it keeps my ass on tip top shape and alert. i like it, but i dont know if i would pay extra to get it. ive drove without it my whole life. so its not something id run out to get. but its a cool option that came with my car. not complaining...lol..
I leave mine on all the time -- I don't think it's only for when you're tired, etc. It can also help if you, God forbid, become distracted while driving. No, I don't text and drive (I don't even text while sitting on a couch) but there are times when something may cause you to be "less than attentive" so I figure it's best to leave the system active in case I become distracted.

What's cool is that you sort of learn to ignore it when you're actually paying attention (like if you change lanes without signaling) but if you're not paying 100% attention and it starts to alert you, you immediately notice and deal with the situation.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1010126' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:41 AM
I leave mine on all the time -- I don't think it's only for when you're tired, etc. It can also help if you, God forbid, become distracted while driving. No, I don't text and drive (I don't even text while sitting on a couch) but there are times when something may cause you to be "less than attentive" so I figure it's best to leave the system active in case I become distracted.

What's cool is that you sort of learn to ignore it when you're actually paying attention (like if you change lanes without signaling) but if you're not paying 100% attention and it starts to alert you, you immediately notice and deal with the situation.

Good review Rudy, now I KNOW my wife needs this!!! She is a great driver............until she gets a call then she can drift in her lane (freaks me out!!!!).
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1010063' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:13 AM

mel, i gotta drive ur car
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1010279' date='Sep 17 2009, 01:45 PM
mel, i gotta drive ur car
lol.. sure thang.. next time i see you.. may be sooner then i thought cause joe was saying to me " we gotta get the license plate led's" . inside i was jumping around!..

he thought ours looked horrible after that drive sat night.. lol
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1010139' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:58 AM
Good review Rudy, now I KNOW my wife needs this!!! She is a great driver............until she gets a call then she can drift in her lane (freaks me out!!!!).
Pjinca, how dark is your tint on your front and rear windows? Looks good, I'm doing mine this sat.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by inkiboo' post='1009436
Mel, if having a camera under the mirror keeps my ass in shape I think I'll order two and the heck with the gym.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Members

You are all wrong but getting warm.

Before I go any further, I want you to be sworn to secrecy and know that you have nothing to fear if you are a law-abiding citizen.

We all know that BMW's are the ride of choice for big-time drug smugglers, gangsters, and potential terrorists. The reason being that they are fast, handle very well and can easily out run and out maneuver mostly any cop car. Several years ago, Homeland Security and INTERPOL, realizing this, entered into a secret agreement with BMW to install cameras which can stream video along with latitude and longitude info directly to government and military agents in various key locations for computer analysis. The purpose is to determine the liklihood that a crime is being committed or an act of terror is imminent. This information along with other data secretly collected from the baby monitors of unsuspecting parents has brought many a dangerous character to justice and is, in fact, the source of infomation for top-secret missle strikes against terrorists that we read about almost daily.

Cleverly, the program is funded by unsuspecting BMW owners and known to them as BMW Assist.

However, at Homeland Security and INTERPOL, the program actually is called Big Mama's Watch'n.

Remember, not a word outside this forum!