E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boring iDrive Screen and Graphics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 AM
NES
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted. Great to be back! I brought my car in for service 2 days ago for a check engine light...ended up being a faulty vanos solenoid. they replaced it and reprogrammed the car as well. I now have a different screen(software, not hardware) on the idrive. When they last reprogrammed it progressively got better since my first screen look and options. This time around it is a dull gray screen and very boring looking. It functions the same, maybe a touch faster. The only screen thats actually graphically better than the previous is when selecting a cd, it actually shows a portion of a disk as your scrolling. Does anyone have this update, or did I get screwed into an older update? Forgive me if I am acting naive here, but as someone who works on graphics interfaces this one seems like it is actually a few steps down from my original idrive version. I will post some pictures this weekend as well. Let me know who has the same screen. If you do, im sure you will know what im talking about. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Yiasou Ellas!! Kalosorezes! Sorry to here about the reprogram. Do you know what version of your software? When I got my '08 my CIP was version 25. This was a big improvement from the previous versions in my opininon. If I am not mistaken, the software versions are up to version 27. The other members of this forum can assist better with what the enhancements or downgrades in the software.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by NES' post='521767' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted. Great to be back! I brought my car in for service 2 days ago for a check engine light...ended up being a faulty vanos solenoid. they replaced it and reprogrammed the car as well. I now have a different screen(software, not hardware) on the idrive. When they last reprogrammed it progressively got better since my first screen look and options. This time around it is a dull gray screen and very boring looking. It functions the same, maybe a touch faster. The only screen thats actually graphically better than the previous is when selecting a cd, it actually shows a portion of a disk as your scrolling. Does anyone have this update, or did I get screwed into an older update? Forgive me if I am acting naive here, but as someone who works on graphics interfaces this one seems like it is actually a few steps down from my original idrive version. I will post some pictures this weekend as well. Let me know who has the same screen. If you do, im sure you will know what im talking about. Thanks!
I'm sure the techies can better give the details, but just Friday I dropped off my 07 530 for a check (system said DTC was malfunctioning) and some new wipers, and I got an 08 528 as a loaner for the weekend since they were back-logged until Monday. The new LCI i-drive screen on the loaner was exactly as you describe, sort of a dull gray. I also noticed the CD detail you mentioned. I would deduce therefore that you actually have the newer version.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Wow! Well, hello stranger! Glad to have you back. You're one of the xi old timers on this board that we haven't seen around lately. Hope you're well and welcome home.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='521778' date='Jan 23 2008, 11:05 AM
Yiasou Ellas!! Kalosorezes! Sorry to here about the reprogram. Do you know what version of your software? When I got my '08 my CIP was version 25. This was a big improvement from the previous versions in my opininon. If I am not mistaken, the software versions are up to version 27. The other members of this forum can assist better with what the enhancements or downgrades in the software.
Yasou Philellina! Kalosavrika! So I tried finding out the program version by doing the cool "push down, right 3, left 3, right 3, 2 left, 2 right, push down (or something like it) thing i found here on the forums and i got into the ecu. a bunch of jibberish to me, tried locating a clean set of text for version but couldnt locate it to figure it out. Anyhow, after a few days with this version it definetly is more responsive and faster. I also realized that when having a phone call active via bluetooth, they now give you a keypad to use on the screen. my previous version didnt have this and when i called in voice mail i had to punch the numbers on my phone. so thats definetly a nice added touch. but i still cant get over how dull looking the graphics are. even the "bmw amber" color from the previous versions now looks "pumpkin orange", and its not my screen brightness or anything of the sort. there are no background graphics on the main idrive screen either, just plain gray. Not for nothing, but the older screen looked so elegant and unobstrusive. this is so ugly it screams out "try not to look at me", but you always want to look. I dont get it, lol. I guess it could be that im used to the older version, but after getting upgraded 3 times, it never was this drastic of a change. Sorry for my venting.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='521807' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:14 PM
I'm sure the techies can better give the details, but just Friday I dropped off my 07 530 for a check (system said DTC was malfunctioning) and some new wipers, and I got an 08 528 as a loaner for the weekend since they were back-logged until Monday. The new LCI i-drive screen on the loaner was exactly as you describe, sort of a dull gray. I also noticed the CD detail you mentioned. I would deduce therefore that you actually have the newer version.
bummer for me. if anyone is going in for a new download and lives in the nyc tri-state are and wants to see how ugly this screen is, come by. im showcasing it. j/k but it does have better functionality and a few split seconds faster. something noticeable!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='521820' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:30 PM
Wow! Well, hello stranger! Glad to have you back. You're one of the xi old timers on this board that we haven't seen around lately. Hope you're well and welcome home.
Good to be back! Seriously... for those who are attempting it and/or contemplating on whether to act as a general contractor to building a house for your personal use.. please listen to me and dont do what i did. The house comes out beautiful, but you are now feels like you are working 3 jobs and have no money to see except "beautiful kitchen cabinets" like my wife loves to say. It was a roller coaster ride, but worth while when your done.

I do feel like one of the xi old timers... i remember the anticipation... shown on my posts, lol. I have always been reading the posts, just havnt had the time to respond (i know useless excuses, but its really true). Ayways, thanks for the re-welcoming and GO GIANTS!!!!