E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Ok, I've gone through 2 windshields in the last 6 months, so I have a little experience I think in this area. Things I've learned:

1. Only if you have HUD are you restricted to OEM only glass because of a coating on the inside of the glass (there is no aftermarket replacement for that for the E60). If you don't use OEM and you have HUD you will see a double image on the HUD display. I don't' have HUD.

2. There are 2 types of urethane adhesive used in installing the glass to the car. Most shops use the 1-hr quick cure type so they can let you go in 2 hours or so. The other type (I think most BMW dealers use it) is not quick cure and takes 12-14 hours to cure fully. After bonding, they are identical... the disadvantage with the quick cure is that you gotta be good at placing the glass and do it quick because after about 2 minutes it's already starting to cure in the open air so they only got 1 shot at getting the placement right.

3. Last time I got OEM glass, this time I got aftermarket glass. The ONLY difference is the BMW logo printed on the glass. Looking at the label on the glass shows that it comes from the SAME FACTORY that the OEM glass comes from. I suppose it's possible that the manufacturer of the glass uses a different process or glass recipe for OEM vs aftermarket, but I VERY HIGHLY doubt it.

4. My rain sensor seems to work much better with the after market glass than it did with the OEM one... not sure why this is, but it does. Sensitivity is now set in the middle or even high position, with the OEM glass I always had it in the low position and it still came on too frequently. Based on the other poster above who had opposite results with this, it's probably got to do with how the sensor is interfaced to the glass (clean or not, well adhered or not, whatever), and has nothing to do with OEM or aftermarket.

5. Get a shop that knows how to take the trim off the car!!! The last shop I used didn't and broke ALL 8 clips that hold the windshield cover trim on and he tried to urethane it back to the glass! Caused lots of wind noise... idiot! A new set of 8 clips was like $15, not a big deal just a hassle to go back and have them do it right.

6. As for the glass adding to the structural integrity of the car... I don't think so, at least not in a major way. It IS however a very important part of the airbag deployment system though. This is the reason they won't let you take your car until the urethane is cured. If you happen to get into an accident on your way home, the airbags won't help you and the window might pop out and thus liability issue with the glass repair shop.

So, in my experience I suggest that aftermarket is no different than OEM glass but what IS important is to find someone who knows how to do the job correctly and has experience with doing it on a BMW when making your decision.

Good luck....
D
Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

^ excellent post. needs to be archived.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

When I had my '03 325i, it took a rock and developed a bad star, so the folks on e46fanatics.com recommened Kuttek Works (http://www.kuttek.com/). They replaced the windshield and preserved the rain sensor and it cost $300 in Feb '07.

During the winter of '08, it started to leak...

When I bot my '05 545i, I purchased the "windshield" protection for $400 which is good for like 5 years, and it covers the replacement of the windsheid by BMW (I recall it covers 2 to 3 replacements during this time). It also included a "coating", but who knows...

Given my experience, I will only use BMW to replace a BMW windshield.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Members

Guys,

Just to add a bit more information on this topic... the manufacturer of the BMW E60 OEM glass is "Saint Gobain Sekurit". Check the printing on your own glass if you don't believe me. Here's an excerpt from their web site:

"Saint-Gobain Sekurit Main Customers

BMW, DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes, Chrysler), General Motors (Opel, Saab, Daewoo, GM, Isuzu), Fiat (Alfa-Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari, Fiat), Ford (Ford, Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda), Honda, Hyundai, Karmann, Kia, Matra, Mitsubishi, Porsche, PSA (Peugeot, Citroen), Renault (Renault, Nissan, Samsung), Suzuki, Toyota, VW (VW, Audi, Seat, Rolls Royce, Skoda), Inalfa, Webasto, Arvin Meritor."

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com

On my current AFTERMARKET windshield, along with a few others I've looked at in various parking lots in the last few days, they ALL have the same "ST GOBAIN SEKURIT" printed on it along with the same "feature logos" that are on the BMW OEM glass. The absolute ONLY difference is the BMW logo.

Now, maybe there are other aftermarket glass manufacturers out there producing for the E60, but I doubt it since it's not an exceptionally high volume vehicle and the features in it are quite unique (rain sensors, etc...).

Reinforces my opinion above... ALL the glass for the E60, OEM or aftermarket is identical, comes from the same place, all that matters in your decision is the skill and experience of the technician doing the actual replacement work.

Cheers....
D