E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pharding' post='543229' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:57 PM
I just got a quote to replace my windshield with a BMW "HUD" Windshield. The price was $610 for everything. My BMW dealer recommended the vendor. I am having it done on Friday. My windshield was the victim of a stone thrown up a reckless fool driving a Jeep SRT SUV that cut me off.
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iS SMG, Black on Brown... Carbon Grille. Navi. PDC. Htd Seats. HUD... Sunshades. Logic7. All Packages. 20%front-5%back........ ETC............................... Coming Soon: MTEC full kit, some wheels. ACS rear carbon spoiler. NAV TV.

Originally Posted by pharding' post='543229' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:57 PM
I just got a quote to replace my windshield with a BMW "HUD" Windshield. The price was $610 for everything. My BMW dealer recommended the vendor. I am having it done on Friday. My windshield was the victim of a stone thrown up a reckless fool driving a Jeep SRT SUV that cut me off.
Lucky you my dealer charged me 860$+taxes!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Hey, i didn't say the whole car is held together by the windscreen. I just meant that it helps

Mind that all windows help, not just the front window.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

There are some poorly made and unsafe windshields being sourced from low-cost countries and pushed around the world.

Don't go cheap on something that protects your life.

http://www.carwindshields.info/
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

My windshield, after only one winter, looks like someone bead or sand blasted it! I have pits and chips all over the place. I've never owned a car with such soft glass for a windshield. I thought i had some over-spray of wax or something on there the past few days, so I washed it off real good and even clayed the area....still looked the same. I leaned in and got a real close look, and it turns out they are all pits/chips and little chunks taken out around the same 6-inch long area, as well as all over to a smaller degree. I get rained upon with highway dust and salt every day from the modern day cars and trunks that no longer use mudflaps, and even the big trucks with mudflaps still spew rocks all over. It's a true sandblasting, and this BMW glass is just too soft!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Members

if the car is still under warranty, the dealership will replace the windshield for free, correct?

the wipers have scratched my windshield i think. i cant clean the smears off, so im guessing that theyre scratches.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlueMajik' post='542956' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:11 AM
I am going through this now. I have talked to Crevier BMW, Long Beach BMW, All Star Glass (near LBBMW) and Sunset Collision(they used to be onsite at LBBMW and were there Body shop). All ranged in prices installed from 685.00 to 1700.00 dollars.

(snipped...)

Also PM me and I'll share who has what prices. I think they all are ok (save for All star, buddy at the office had his Volvo done and it leaks).
BlueMajik and others in SoCal-
I'm interested in hearing your experiences with the local SoCal dealers. I live in So OC and just had my windshield hit by a rock resulting in a crack which grew from ~2" to over 6" in the course of 3 days. Since the car is also out of warranty, I've contacted my insurance co. and waiting to hear from them. I'd like to hear more about where best to go, what to ask for and how much I should expect to fork over. My wife did some quick calling around with independent glass places and they quoted her anywhere from 75-400. With dealers (Crevier, LB, Shelley) she got 1200-2250. I want to make sure the job is done right and if insurance does cover it i'll go with where it is best done, not necessarily by price.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by directcj' post='596102' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:05 AM
BlueMajik and others in SoCal-
I'm interested in hearing your experiences with the local SoCal dealers. I live in So OC and just had my windshield hit by a rock resulting in a crack which grew from ~2" to over 6" in the course of 3 days. Since the car is also out of warranty, I've contacted my insurance co. and waiting to hear from them. I'd like to hear more about where best to go, what to ask for and how much I should expect to fork over. My wife did some quick calling around with independent glass places and they quoted her anywhere from 75-400. With dealers (Crevier, LB, Shelley) she got 1200-2250. I want to make sure the job is done right and if insurance does cover it i'll go with where it is best done, not necessarily by price.
I am hoping that the owners here have liability, collision, and comprehensive insurance on their cars.
My copay/deductible is the same regardless of where I go. It is covered under comprehensive. Go for the dealership replacement. If you have problems you have somewhere to go. Glass shops go out of business often and do not warrant their work against stress fractures. Yes, the windshield is part of the structure of the car.
My insurance has never gone up due to a comprehensive calim including extensive damage to my truck due to hurricane Katrina.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='596119' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:48 AM
I am hoping that the owners here have liability, collision, and comprehensive insurance on their cars.
My copay/deductible is the same regardless of where I go. It is covered under comprehensive. Go for the dealership replacement. If you have problems you have somewhere to go.
I do have comprehensive and like you, my deductible is the same regardless of who fixes it. Hence, I want to make sure the job is done right. Just want to know and educate myself as to what questions to ask the dealer and what to watch out for so that I know it is being done properly.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I went the cheap route and regretted it because my rain sensors won't work with aftermarket windshield. GO OEM and save yourself some headache like i'm going through. $800 is a great deal since i was quoted $1300 just for the part itself plus $200 labor.

Quick Reply: BMW Windshields