E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My windshield has cracked and is in need of replacement. I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs replaced with a non-BMW windshield, and if so, are you happy with it? Does anybody know what the difference might be (other than the missing emblem)?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I don't think there is a OEM windshield just like there isn't a OEM side window. I got my rear window smash for no apparent reason a few weeks back in San Francisco. I got it replaced the next day by a mobile window repair guy. Maybe EuroCarFan will chime in here, he just got the windshield of his M5 replaced last week.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is such a thing as an OEM windshield (or any other window) but there are also other sources of glass available and most often used by mobile window repair people, etc.

It's important to rembember that for cars with a HUD, a special HUD windshield is needed -- many mobile window repair people aren't aware of this requirement so be careful...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Members

I don't have HUD. What do you think, $400 for the generic or $800 for the BMW windshield?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='446514' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:09 PM
My windshield has cracked and is in need of replacement. I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs replaced with a non-BMW windshield, and if so, are you happy with it? Does anybody know what the difference might be (other than the missing emblem)?
I had a major rock hole in my X5 windshield and had a bit of resistance from the insurance co. but in the end I got OEM due to the rain sensor . My feeling would be to go OEM, but I am also running a post re : Soft Glass. I swear BMW windshields are softer and more susceptible to wear and tear than other vehicles that I have owned.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Members

Replaced my windscreen last month. Was driving at about 80kmh when a small stone hit the side of the windcreen the weakest part. First a star appeared and a horizontal crack followed. Dealer said windscreen crack is quite common, as it is designed to be light to keep weight low but at a cost of reliability. You may also need to replace the rain sensor which is attached to the windscreen which adds to the cost. Recommend to take out insurance on windscreen.

Anyone with ideas on how to strengthen the windscreen such as will tinting films help?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Members

Replaced my windscreen last month. Was driving at about 80kmh when a small stone hit the side of the windcreen the weakest part. First a star appeared and a horizontal crack followed. Dealer said windscreen crack is quite common, as it is designed to be light to keep weight low but at a cost of reliability. You may also need to replace the rain sensor which is attached to the windscreen which adds to the cost. Recommend to take out insurance on windscreen.

Anyone with ideas on how to strengthen the windscreen such as will tinting films help?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Members

I recently got the windscreen done on my E91 , Glass company wanted to fit in a pattern part , i insisted on OEM and the chassis number was taken and a BMW OEM screen ordered to my cars spec from the local dealer.

Hold out for OEM , a lot of the cars regidity comes from the screen.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='446514' date='Jul 12 2007, 06:09 AM
My windshield has cracked and is in need of replacement.
The windscreen is a part of the chassi and its stiffness!

The window itself is in very narrow specs do to safty reasons.

The installation of the window is a high skill performance, heard of lots of problems.

Don't try to save a few bucks in this matter. Only get the best!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

had mine replaced twodays ago with non bmw one. it looks great and no problems at all~ my insurance covered it.

Quick Reply: BMW Windshields