E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A bit of a rant ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Wow.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by tonyb635
So true. Actually a few weeks ago I got a little excited because the counter said there was like 65 viewers. I look up at F10 and there is often 1-3, now I would have to say that section is beyond dead...
I think there's good reason for that. First, virtually all of the F10s are still in warranty and covered under the zero cost maintenance programs. Second, I imagine the F10 is substantially older and more "refined," shall we say. If you're 50 years old and driving an F10 to your job as a VP and visiting clients, you don't really want to be seen with 20" rimzzz and some ludicrous looking vinyl wrap. Not that anybody should ever wrap a completely excellent looking car in low grade plastic....but that's another story for another day. And 20"s are for M5's and SUVs.

I had the same thoughts as the OP after joining an Accord forum years ago. I quickly realized I had no interest in spending $800 to put TSX mirrors on a 4-cyl Accord. What was so crazy was that most of these guys could have bought a TSX or a TL with all the money they blew on mods. I was just their for maintenance tips, which was funny because the car was bulletproof and didn't need repairs.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gatriel
Nopenopenope.

I am envious of those who have have paid their cars off. (Just 2 more payments on my end)
I am envious of those who are mechanically gifted and can do most of the work mechanically themselves.

Am I envious of those who spend half the value of their cars into mods that aren't covered by their car insurance? Nope.
Excellent post. A voice of reason.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NOCTRNAL
All I see is someone coming off like a giant douchebag.

What does it matter to you what people decide to do with their own cars? You don't like modding... we get it... here's an idea, don't mod your car. As for anyone else's car, if they want to put a wrap with purple unicorns on it and 30 inch spinners... how the hell does that affect your life in any way whatsoever?
To each his own, yes, I agree. However, I think what some are trying to say is how painful it is to watch others burn money unnecessarily. Want to upgrade your rims? Great, go ahead; sometimes they can add value to a car. I bought a second set of rims for winter tires. It was a reasonable investment.

Want to upgrade your rims 5 times in 10 months? That's a horrible return on investment and a lot of cash that would be better spent on maintenance for your car, the down payment on your next car, or principle in a savings account.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
It's amazing to me that you're complaining about misspellings and poor grammar in posts made by other members, and yet your own post above is littered throughout with numerous examples.

Also, your "typical" dialogue examples were purposely racist and offensive and do not belong in this multicultural and multiracial online community.
I don't think he intended to be racist. Offensive maybe, but not racist. Let's try not to blow this out of proportion. However, his grammar/spelling in a post about grammar/spelling was comical.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I wish there was a like button for your post pcy. This kind of thing is what these communities are all about. I guess I am lamenting the fact that our cars are becoming less expensive as they depreciate, and younger kids and "lower classes" of people, whom place looks about maintenance and reliability, can purchase our cars.
I knew this cat was gonna crash & burn. I've seen a lot of his posts, & there's some trollopheny going on here. Sorry you are sad that e60s are becoming somewhat affordable for a lot of folks, but stereotyping people on here is not cool. You seem to resent some of the folks on this thread doing the same thing to you....
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

This thread needs to go in the trash.. Totally unproductive, and does nothing to the purpose of what this site is about..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I wish there was a like button for your post pcy. This kind of thing is what these communities are all about. I guess I am lamenting the fact that our cars are becoming less expensive as they depreciate, and younger kids and "lower classes" of people, whom place looks about maintenance and reliability, can purchase our cars.
I was going to refrain from commenting on this thread, simply to prevent my name from being associated with such self-aggrandizing banter. But let me begin.

Gatriel, you lament the depreciation of the E60 platform because younger kids and, lets stop with coded linguistics and say what you really mean - urban minorities - can purchase 'our cars'. You may have had a reasonable foundation for your argument, except you yourself purchased a depreciated, discontinued model at grossly depreciated cost. So what you really lament is the fact that your wallet wasn't high enough to move your purchase power from those poor 'ole urban minorities buying the platform now.

What kills me about these posts is that, as an owner of a dealer demo 545i purchased for over $45K + $3K extended warranty through Fidelity sold from a former member here - your drivel is an argument about a car that can now be had for around the $10K mark. That is clearly a pricepoint for the masses, yet you lament the fact that the masses can actually own one. Even at the pricepoint I bought into the scene with, with a $12K downpayment, I was humble - and intelligent - enough to know that I purchased a used car, whereas many members bought theirs showroom new - and with cash. It's simply the pecking order of things - know your place within it. I assure you, when I joined here in 2007, members were happily modding and customizing their cars to their liking, including blazing the trail with wheel and body kit mods. On that note, some even got burned, yet bounced back (search QuadM for details on that $78,000+ forum burn)

You really have no idea as to what this particular community of enthusiasts is(was?) about. Back when I joined, there was a mutual level of respect. While an occassional elitest member similar to yourself would come, they would soon realize such drivel had no bearing or place here, simply because there wasn't anything they brung to the table that others couldn't. Elite means above - and you can't be elite being extraordinarily ordinary. I saw you flout your credentials as a law school student, as if that somehow elevates you above all others here. I hate to break your bubble, but this forum is chock-full of accomplished counsel, doctors, business owners, advanced technology professionals, and regular hard-working folks who are entering the E60 owner spectrum as yourself did - because such advanced cars are bargin basement.

One last thing about this site. When I bought my car in 2006, the E60 platform was in the pioneering phase. There wasn't a wealth of knowledge available, as it was a radical change from the E39. Hell, the 545 didn't last very long on the sales floor - only a 2 year run. I got mine relatively cheaply because the 550 was introduced for 2006. Founding members LOMAG (Mark) and DAS were immensely appreciated for creating this site (back then known as E60.net). They were paying for this out-of-pocket. When I saw they had a way to donate, I elected to do so - repeatedly because I felt this was and would continue to be an incredible resource for E60 owners. Those of us that not only contributed to this community with our words, but also with our hard-earned cash, wear the Contributors badge. As this community grew to the huge resource it is today, Mark et al decided it was time to hand over the reigns to Internet Brands, the owners of large forum sites (InternetBrands, Inc. : Automotive). Of course, they make monies through targeted advertising and such, so there is no longer the need to donate to a multi-million dollar corporation.

In closing, I guess all my drivel above is simply to say try to be a bit more respectful of others around here. You bring nothing to the table to warrant an elitist attitude, and this is the wrong forum for cultural biases. If you wanted to be a part of an elitist community, you should have purchased a brand new F-series, or for a true elitist feel, buy yourself a shiny new Bugatti and join the forums there.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
LOL. It's hard not to laugh at this post really.

Obviously people are going to post what they are concerned about, what's hard to understand about that?

Sure repetitive posts can be boring, and people SHOULD search, but we aren't here to entertain you.

If you feel that there's a community more fitting for you, by all means. Don't think anyone is stopping you from participating in another group.

Just find it funny to have a post complaining about other people's post is all. Hah.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i
Talking

New to these parts but not new to forum trolls. Gatriel is 6 pages deep into his troll. Kudos!

Quick Reply: A bit of a rant ...