E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bit of a rant ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i
Default A bit of a rant ...

So I really do enjoy 5series.net, but I am a bit disappointed. It seems like 80% of the posts on here are the same 3 topics over and over and over again ...

1) Angel Eyes
2) RIMZ y0!
3) Help my XXX is broken.

EDIT:

4) Dudez ... should I get the MTEC or M5 bumper? I don'T know what to doooooo? I want everyone to think my 525 goes fast.

EDIT 2:

4.5) Well, I decided to get the MTEC and painted it, but then I decided I wanted the M5 bumper, so my loss is your gain. $50, but LOCAL PICKUP ONLY.

While I can understand #3 completely, seriously people, how many threads do we need about wheels, and angel eyes? Normally, this wouldn't both me, but the sheer amount of "Dude, I bought XXX rims, but like a week later I want XXXXX soooo badly. What does everyone think? What should I do" has gotten to a level that is unbearable. I used to read them to get my jollies watching people piss their money away while their car is haemorrhaging oil, and then complain about the repair bills, but that doesn't do it for me anymore.

The Hong-Kong thread should be a good model for these two topics with the current forum structure. One thread for all topics related to Angel Eyes/RIMZ, that way those of us who could literally care less could easily avoid the 19-year-old drivel that so much of this e60 sub-forum has become. Perhaps a sub-forum for discussions related to these two topics (or in the case of wheels/rims if people would place them correctly or admin would move them) would be helpful, but these thread topics are like zombies, they are everywhere, impossibly annoying, and for every one that gets killed two more pop-up.

I guess I just expected more out of a BMW forum than I would have out of say, a Honda Prelude forum or 200SX forum.

Last edited by Gatriel; 09-04-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i6 Mystic Metallic Blue

+1 amen
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
New Members

For me -- it isn't even that -- its a reflection of our community and the deterioration of the average driver of our cars. Whenever I see people on here (and its a TON of people) who have major maintenance issues with their cars, yet are spending thousands on bumpers, LED halos, and wheels and tires that are worth 30% of the cars value, it makes me think I drive one of these:

As opposed to this:

Then instead of ruining their cars as well as the community privately, they decide to do it on a forum, upon which it turns into a circle jerk of people validating someone's abject stupidity. My favorite topics on here are when there is a debate about maintenance, or "How-to," what wax works the best, and thats why I joined this community. It just seems recently, its deteriorated into rubbish-ness.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Although I mostly agree with you on this topic it's also like the CCC questions. Searching helps, but this site is terrible for searching about anything. I know it does not help when the topic is "please help" or "look what I dd". And the worse thing is digging up post that are three years old only to realize you fell into it with a comment. Once that happened, I always have a look at the original post date. But to me the worse is where no one seems to scan through the postings so the comments start to sound like a broken record. Or when an "expert" gives advise and you provide your own which if not in alignment it always nearly starts a nasty rebuttal. People seem to take things a little too personal at times. BTW I like the wax one, not for what one thinks is the best as in protection because that's just like oils... But rather ease if use, if its easy, then more will do it! PS. I Thought I saw you running around in ATL in that Honda last weekend!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Searching helps, but this site is terrible for searching about anything.
They all are, and always have been. I've been using the 'internet' since the old BBS days. I've never been on a forum that had a good search function.

As for the thread topics, I just ignore most of them. I think most people have figured out the E60 and don't need to post substantive questions, or have moved on to other cars.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

I would have to agree to a certain extent. I have caught myself thinking pretty much what u have said. Same thing over and over,,, but i think its almost the same on other sites as well. I think that most of the post are not being posted in the right catagory is all.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

Hard to get upset when there are like 5 posts a day.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Also hard to get upset when membership is free. I'm very thankful that we have a forum at all.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

So true. Actually a few weeks ago I got a little excited because the counter said there was like 65 viewers. I look up at F10 and there is often 1-3, now I would have to say that section is beyond dead...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Texas_Vol
Hard to get upset when there are like 5 posts a day.
Funny, I always thought post count mattered not. Oh wait -- it doesn't.

Quick Reply: A bit of a rant ...