E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A bit of a rant ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

No -- "our cars" is the male demographic from 35 - 48 primarily and 18 - 34 who are typically upper middle class, have at least an undergraduate degree and are motoring enthusiasts. Individuals typically purchase BMWs primarily for the driving experience and higher level of engineering. For the most part, BMW owners purchase/lease their cars new because of what their cars are -- how they are designed -- how their are built, etc., etc.,

When I say "lower classes" of people -- I am referring to people who purchase these cars (which are in some cases 10 years old at this point) as a status symbol, and their entire goal of the purchase isn't to enjoy the tech, or the engineering, but to "show off" how successful they are in life, with a decade old car.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

"First, I elected to finance the car for 10 months after a 90% down payment to build car credit. I could have paid for it in cash but thought -- hey I got an apr of less than 5%. Established credit is worth the $150 or so it will cost. "

"I am envious of those who have have paid their cars off. (Just 2 more payments on my end)"

Those were your words (see above).

Did you fail to meet your financial obligations and in need to fix your credit?

Are you the kind of guy who could barely afford a used BMW and acted like you are all that because you are now "financing" one?

Does it tick you off when you realized that anyone can afford one and it's ruining your "Fronting-Style"?

Do you have any Grey Poupon? ...or are you just full of it?

Don't lie, I am a Certified Corporate Psychiatrist.

Originally Posted by Gatriel
Hahaha okay assholes.

First, I elected to finance the car for 10 months after a 90% down payment to build car credit. I could have paid for it in cash but thought -- hey I got an apr of less than 5%. Established credit is worth the $150 or so it will cost.

Second, I could care less about people modding their cars. I had an Infiniti G before the BMW that I had a few things done to it. What irks me is an offensively overwhelming majority of threads being about the same couple topics over and over and over and over and over again. That and a community that promulgates mods over maintenance.

Lastly, the general dialogue on the forum has deyeriorated dramatically recently. It's become a bunch of uneducated drivel. Everyone makes typos, but it is neither cute not necessary to spell things wrong intentionally. I've called people out on this here before, and I was in turn called out on it. I don't get it -- other non-automotive forums I am a part of Dont have these issues, but as stated above this forum isn't the only one with these issues.

So while you all can be dicks about me being a douchbag (which I clearly am) that's fine, but admit that the level of coherent dialogue has been dramatically reduced over the past few months.

Also - this being a forum -- I can only judge someone based upon the English they choose to use on the forum. If you intentionally spell like a moron I reserve te right to think of you as such and subsequently rant about it. If your car needs $5k in maintenance to keep it road worthy and you spend that cash on mods I reserve the right to judge you intellectually challenged and rant about that too.

I just don't have a lot of patience for stupid people. Has nothing to do with a superiority complex. I just generally don't like them.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I wish we can vote people off a board. Then again we would miss this kind of wtf.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by E60I
"First, I elected to finance the car for 10 months after a 90% down payment to build car credit. I could have paid for it in cash but thought -- hey I got an apr of less than 5%. Established credit is worth the $150 or so it will cost. "

"I am envious of those who have have paid their cars off. (Just 2 more payments on my end)"

Those were your words (see above).

Did you fail to meet your financial obligations and in need to fix your credit?

Are you the kind of guy who could barely afford a used BMW and acted like you are all that because you are now "financing" one?

Does it tick you off when you realized that anyone can afford one and it's ruining your "Fronting-Style"?

Do you have any Grey Poupon? ...or are you just full of it?

Don't lie, I am a Certified Corporate Psychiatrist.
Nope -- I am a college kid who had to replace a car that got nailed. I have no car credit and needed to establish some. Better to do it with a higher APR on a small amount of money so I can lower my APR in the future on a larger purchase. Makes some financial sense ... no?

You must be a horrible shrink, and you've pegged me completely incorrectly.

Last edited by Gatriel; 09-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I wish we can vote people off a board. Then again we would miss this kind of wtf.
This kind of wtf is a substantial upgrade from the normal derp I've seen on here recently.

I agree with the assertion that 5series.net is a hugely helpful resource. When I first joined this community 8 or so months ago -- it was awesome -- informative thread about maintenance and upkeep after informative thread about maintenance and upkeep. It now appears that these threads are few and far between.

They have been replaced with endless threads about rims, angel eyes and bumpers. When there is a "help my XXX broke" there is, many times, a discussion on whether to fix it or mod the car with something.

I've met some great people on here, but there is more to our cars than rims, angel eyes and bumpers.

I would also agree with the assertion that other premium brand forums suffer the same fate as 5series. I guess it just baffles me as to how someone can purchase a used German car, and then mod it before maintenance.

Last edited by Gatriel; 09-06-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Signatures with huge photos & detailed lists of modifications to your car are stupid. .
Hate this sig.

Last edited by Rizbel; 09-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

This kind of wtf is a substantial upgrade from the normal derp I've seen on here recently.

I agree with the assertion that 5series.net is a hugely helpful resource. When I first joined this community 8 or so months ago -- it was awesome -- informative thread about maintenance and upkeep after informative thread about maintenance and upkeep. It now appears that these threads are few and far between.

They have been replaced with endless threads about rims, angel eyes and bumpers. When there is a "help my XXX broke" there is, many times, a discussion on whether to fix it or mod the car with something.

I've met some great people on here, but there is more to our cars than rims, angel eyes and bumpers.

I would also agree with the assertion that other premium brand forums suffer the same fate as 5series. I guess it just baffles me as to how someone can purchase a used German car, and then mod it before maintenance.
Seriously, just enough of your silly nonsense already.

I mod people's parts for this board and other people from other communities. To this day, I have not met a person that has spend money to do mods instead of fixing their car where it needed it to be fixed. Your gross and absurd generalization in general is just beyond any logic, and I am very very interested in learning from you who is doing mods ahead of their upkeep.

This is not "a bit of a rant", you are the rant.

Last edited by nomis_nehc; 09-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Members

Nope -- I am a college kid who had to replace a car that got nailed.
Tell you what, Joe College - ask around among the more seasoned citizens where you are about how the arrogant superiority thing worked out there the last time it got a foothold. Mention the phrase "master race", they'll fill you in. Good luck to you as you grow up.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
New Members

Haha, now you are all entertaining.

There are strings of cars on here that leak oil in every direction while people spend money on bumpers and angel eyes.

And when I say college -- I'm in law school with 2 masters degrees already, so take your condescending derp somewhere else.

The mods for these cars get more and more egregious as does the dialogue here deteriorates as the cars become cheaper and cheaper. This has been brought up not only by myself in this thread but by others.

So, if some vendors want to supply the bottom-feeders -- it's totally their choice -- but expect the forum to deteriorate as individuals will either leave the community and stick their heads in the sand, dump the car and go to something else, or stick around and try to change things.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Hate this sig.

Quick Reply: A bit of a rant ...