E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bad Antenna Wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

My FM radio has been sporadically working. Dealer says the antenna wire is giving more resistance than it should. New parts (wiring harness for antenna) are ordered. He said he has to pull the headerliner, B pillar, probably passenger seat, carpet and console to replace. Anyone have the TIS. I'm nervous they'll screw it up and end up with rattles galore. Interested in what's involved.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It sounds like they are correct you have to remove a ton of stuff to gain access to the antenna wire. Here are some different links to some of the antenna related discussions we've had here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=24772 (and the next three posts)
Removing the back seat
Gaining access to the shark fin (from the Nav retrofit installation instructions)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='358686' date='Nov 20 2006, 11:56 PM
It sounds like they are correct you have to remove a ton of stuff to gain access to the antenna wire. Here are some different links to some of the antenna related discussions we've had here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=24772 (and the next three posts)
Removing the back seat
Gaining access to the shark fin (from the Nav retrofit installation instructions)
Thanks Rudy. This is really stressing me out. Three weeks ago I got in the car to drive to work and the FM radio reception was dead. After work, got in the car and everything was fine. Then last week same thing. Took the car to P&W and talked with Tim (shop foreman, good guy). They pulled the CCC and re-installed it. Everthything worked fine. They thought there may have been a loose antenna connection. Next morning (last Friday), got in the car and same problem. Dropped it off that mornign and they got on the horn with BMW. They ran a resistance test on the wires (they said there are two) and one of them was a lot higher than the other. Now they want to replace that wire. Funny thing is, everything has been working since Saturday morning. I really don't want to take the interior out of my car. I think it's the CCC and BMW is just too cheap to have them swap a new one in.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pa550' post='358821' date='Nov 21 2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Rudy. This is really stressing me out. Three weeks ago I got in the car to drive to work and the FM radio reception was dead. After work, got in the car and everything was fine. Then last week same thing. Took the car to P&W and talked with Tim (shop foreman, good guy). They pulled the CCC and re-installed it. Everthything worked fine. They thought there may have been a loose antenna connection. Next morning (last Friday), got in the car and same problem. Dropped it off that mornign and they got on the horn with BMW. They ran a resistance test on the wires (they said there are two) and one of them was a lot higher than the other. Now they want to replace that wire. Funny thing is, everything has been working since Saturday morning. I really don't want to take the interior out of my car. I think it's the CCC and BMW is just too cheap to have them swap a new one in.
I'm with you. I think you're probably right but unfortunately, you might be at the mercy of BMW. The question is, will it cost more in labor replacing the wire than it would to replace the CCC? Obviously, one has a higher part cost and a lower install cost, the other is the opposite.

Did they try a software upgrade? Maybe, if there's an issue with the CCC, it'll crash and they'll have to replace it anyway? (Long shot, I know...)