E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Backseat passengers complain about dizziness

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flavaj' post='397032' date='Mar 1 2007, 02:51 AM
Didn't realize that this was even an issue.., but a few of my co-workers refused to sit in my car today. The reason is because they felt dizzy and nausea after the last time they sat in the rear. Weird thing was.., my cousin said the same thing a few weeks ago. So I experimented by having my brother drive tonight while I was in the back seat and to my surprise, I got out of the car a little dazed. He had his fun with the spirited driving, but I sure didn't. If 1 or 2 people, then maybe just a coincidence. But 5 people have felt dizzy sitting in the rear seats. Wondering what can be the cause?? The dynamics of the rear seat, the seating positions, etc...???????

HOWEVER, I noticed that the new car smell did make me dizzy. Maybe it was me or there were some chemicals, or the glue...? I don't know... To prove that, I need to buy another new E60 to try again which could not happen soon. How about you take them to ride again after few months later to see if they feel dizzy again?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Spirited driving and the low back seats and high front seat backs causing a lack of road visibility will cause nausea or dizzyness.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I've had this and did some analysis too. Its happens more in an Auto than a Manual because of the drive differences and the start stop feel. In the Manual you tend to slow down before you stop. However I think the biggest reason is the heating that must be causing this. Open a window and see if you still feel the same.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

I have heard that complaint as well.
I think a contributing factor may be that there is not much of a forward view given high drivers seat, and low rear seats, coupled with a high door sill.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='397037' date='Mar 1 2007, 08:12 AM
My wife complains the same thing to me too. She said maybe I am driving more agressive with the e60.

'You make me sick!!!'
I hear it from my wife all the time......
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Give them some dramamine before takeoff...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='397160' date='Mar 1 2007, 04:38 PM
Give them some dramamine before takeoff...
So that's what they mean by Launch Control?

ABC
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by flavaj' post='397032' date='Feb 28 2007, 11:51 PM
Didn't realize that this was even an issue.., but a few of my co-workers refused to sit in my car today. The reason is because they felt dizzy and nausea after the last time they sat in the rear. Weird thing was.., my cousin said the same thing a few weeks ago.
I felt exactly the same in the back seat of my friend's E60 and so did my wife. He did not drive aggressively. It has something to do with suspension, I think. It make car handle well and stay on the path, but this may mean that actual force goes to passengers. Car does not lean, but passengers do I did not feel anything in the front seat, but back seat was definitely worse.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by flavaj' post='397032' date='Feb 28 2007, 11:51 PM
Didn't realize that this was even an issue.., but a few of my co-workers refused to sit in my car today. The reason is because they felt dizzy and nausea after the last time they sat in the rear. Weird thing was.., my cousin said the same thing a few weeks ago. So I experimented by having my brother drive tonight while I was in the back seat and to my surprise, I got out of the car a little dazed. He had his fun with the spirited driving, but I sure didn't. If 1 or 2 people, then maybe just a coincidence. But 5 people have felt dizzy sitting in the rear seats. Wondering what can be the cause?? The dynamics of the rear seat, the seating positions, etc...???????
It's contagious!! My friends have complained in the past about feeling a slight wobble-wobble, but I took it as bologne. Funny thing is they never felt dizzy in my ex MB E350. I also attribute this to the low rear seats and lack of road visibilty that many have mentioned. Oh well, I'm glad I'm always in the front seat.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

When I sit in the rear (doesn't happen too much), I really enjoy it. It's a typical feeling. You can feel the rear being rigid - different to front-wheel drives. I even didn't think about feeling dizzy anytime

Quick Reply: Backseat passengers complain about dizziness