E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AT&T PRESENTS: You Make The Call!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

the V8s have $$$$ problems of their own as you get to higher mileage (alternators, coolant transfer pipe, etc.) so don't think of *either* car as a trouble-free solution. But if it's only a weekend car, and you've already got an MDX in the driveway, why are you looking at something with 4 doors? go get an M3 coupe!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

I would think at least the way I work is first I decide what kind of car I want lets say 08 550 LCI M-tech. Then I start to search and find the best cr for the money. I don't like the car to dictate my purchase I like to decide based on my parameters then find a car. There are no shortage of nice low millage cars especially these days so be patient and you will find a cherry.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
come to detriot....ill let you zip around in my 545i with a few Dinan enhancements...once you hear that SuperSprint exhaust rumble....ill steal you back to the V8 side of things lol

(just dont you dare hit any potholes....these 20s are delicate!)
Hahaha. I already owned a 550i with RPI and some tweaks. I know how happy the V8 makes its owners. Potholes in Detroit? Shocking!

Originally Posted by 545felix
the V8s have $$$$ problems of their own as you get to higher mileage (alternators, coolant transfer pipe, etc.) so don't think of *either* car as a trouble-free solution. But if it's only a weekend car, and you've already got an MDX in the driveway, why are you looking at something with 4 doors? go get an M3 coupe!
Great point and great question. We have a one year and we are working on our second. I have to have a car that is flexible when the wife is off buying unnecessary consumer goods! Besides, I like being able to drive with buddies to go play golf or go skiing, etc. A sedan with soul and speed is the only car that fits my lifestyle, and for me, it's BMW or bust.

Originally Posted by syrousd
I would think at least the way I work is first I decide what kind of car I want lets say 08 550 LCI M-tech. Then I start to search and find the best cr for the money. I don't like the car to dictate my purchase I like to decide based on my parameters then find a car. There are no shortage of nice low millage cars especially these days so be patient and you will find a cherry.
I hear you, but we just differ. I believe in a list of must-haves and would-likes and then finding a car that fits my needs. Of course I would love an m-tech 09+ 550i, but you're forgetting a major factor. Budget. There are limitations and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, while also being incredibly picky and wary of making a mistake.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

side question: i see you ran some 166s. i just acquired a set to run as my winter wheels (ballsy i know). im looking at blizzak winter tires....found a good deal on a set but the sizes arent perfect: 245/40/19 and 265/35/19.... what sizes did you run? im trying to figure out if i can run these or not...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

2008 for sure. I have been in a tuned 535 before, and it simply just takes off. Not to mention all the newer niceties in the LCI.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
side question: i see you ran some 166s. i just acquired a set to run as my winter wheels (ballsy i know). im looking at blizzak winter tires....found a good deal on a set but the sizes arent perfect: 245/40/19 and 265/35/19.... what sizes did you run? im trying to figure out if i can run these or not...
Not ballsy, I plan on attempting the same thing if I buy the 535 w/ Style 172s. I would have to take a look at my records, don't know sizes offhand. Sorry!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

A 535 and 550 are just a few tenths difference performance wise stock & in a straight line. A 550i w/ exhaust will sound powerful & fast, which is all many people want. A 535i with a cheap tune will actually be powerful and smoke the 550i. Comparing equal model years, the 535i is lighter, cheaper, more fuel efficient, and with a cheap tune, much faster.

In my biased opinion!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by 545felix
Please explain the transfer pipe cooling issue.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by esqyankee
Hahaha. I already owned a 550i with RPI and some tweaks. I know how happy the V8 makes its owners. Potholes in Detroit? Shocking!

Great point and great question. We have a one year and we are working on our second. I have to have a car that is flexible when the wife is off buying unnecessary consumer goods! Besides, I like being able to drive with buddies to go play golf or go skiing, etc. A sedan with soul and speed is the only car that fits my lifestyle, and for me, it's BMW or bust.

I hear you, but we just differ. I believe in a list of must-haves and would-likes and then finding a car that fits my needs. Of course I would love an m-tech 09+ 550i, but you're forgetting a major factor. Budget. There are limitations and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, while also being incredibly picky and wary of making a mistake.
No mater what kind,Model,year same rules apply!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
Please explain the transfer pipe cooling issue.
transfer pipe replacement

Quick Reply: AT&T PRESENTS: You Make The Call!