E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AT&T PRESENTS: You Make The Call!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning folks,

By way of background, unexpected job loss forced me to sell my 550i last March, but things have dramatically improved since then, and I am in the market for a (new to me) e60. I have also previously owned an e38 sport and three e39s. I live in a NYC suburb and commute by train, so this car will be used primarily on the weekends and remain garaged M-F. I don't anticipate putting on more than 5k miles per year.

As parameters for my search, 6MT, NAV, sport/premium/cold and L7 were all absolute must haves, and goodies like comfort access, head's up display, fold down rear seat, etc. were all bonues. As far as mods go, a car that already had m-tech and wheels was really high on the list since getting mods passed the wife is, shall we say, challenging.

I had driven an older 530xi, but the lack of power was an absolute no go for me. Also, I am confident that winter wheels with Blizzaks should suffice if absolutely necessary to drive in snow. We have an 09 Acura MDX for that anyway.

So I have narrowed down the search to...

(1) 2006 Alpine White (top color choice for me) 550i with all of the above, but no m-tech or wheels. The car is bone stock, one-owner, with ONLY 47k miles on the clock. No accidents, serviced at one dealer, pristine. Obviously this car would require me to add the m-tech body kit and wheels at some point.

(2) 2008 Blue/Black 535i with 50k miles that has factory installed body kit and style 172 wheels. Essentially looks identical to a 550i sport from 08-10.

I am really struggling with the decision here. The 08 is obviously an LCI model, which for many reasons is optimal. Also, the turbos, injectors and high pressure fuel pump has been replaced by BMW and are warranted until 120k. That said, the 06 has a far more reliable non-turbo motor, and fuel economy isn't my primary concern. Then again, I would also want to deal with the dimmed pre-LCI angel eyes, the taillights, etc. Obviously the interior of the 08 is far nicer after the refresh.

Just hoping y'all have some thoughts and can help push me in a direction. Both cars are awesome and would make me very happy, just do not want to have any regrets, and perhaps there are some board members who have faced this same decision.

THANK YOU!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Also, the 08 is almost 1400 miles away, so I would be purchasing the car sight unseen, albeit with PPI and high res images. Finally, the 08 can handle a JB4 upgrade and probably give the 550i a run for it's money methinks.

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Sounds clear to me - LCI all the way.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535I

Originally Posted by esqyankee
Also, the 08 is almost 1400 miles away, so I would be purchasing the car sight unseen, albeit with PPI and high res images. Finally, the 08 can handle a JB4 upgrade and probably give the 550i a run for it's money methinks.

Thanks again!
If you are into modding the car, a JB4 and Meth injection will not only give the 550 a run for it's money, it would pretty much walk away from it in all aspects except over 140mph. I have a 535 and went the Cobb route but, for me, I really enjoy the turbo's capabilities and lighter handling. With the 550, it's an exceptional car but there is not much available to increase the HP for it that I am aware of.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

08 for the warranty alone. . .
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Man that's a tuff one. Coming from a pre-LCI 550i with that awesome V8 going to an LCI 535i with the turbo - I would think that the V8 wins, especially with the RPI exhaust installed, the growl and straight up torque can't be beat.

But the LCI upgrades do come into play, and that seems to be the sticking point for you. So what's more important, reliable, natural power or looks? And what about pricing - that would have a huge impact on this decision, no?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

You are comparing a 550i with no Mtech Kit and stock wheels to a 535i w/Kit and upgraded wheels AND its an LCI model?

REALLY?????
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
You are comparing a 550i with no Mtech Kit and stock wheels to a 535i w/Kit and upgraded wheels AND its an LCI model?

REALLY?????
Settle down, I consider myself a pretty smart guy and an enthusiast, and the answer isn't so obvious for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

if all things were equal....the mileage, the year of production and the warranty....there is NO WAY id jump into a V6 no matter how many pretty little turbos are attached to it....nothing beats that raw displacement, torque, power and sound of the big V8s....unless we are talking about the V10 that is
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by umichchris
08 for the warranty alone. . .

what warranty? it's over 50k miles and he didn't mention it being a CPO did he? The oil pump and turbo yeah, but that's it.

Quick Reply: AT&T PRESENTS: You Make The Call!