E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

After The Accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I was just going to ask the question, "did the engine turn off". If that were the case then you would lose steering and brakes.

What kind of transmission do you have do you have, BaranE?

This was an issue awhile back and a severe case of this I suppose could have caused total loss of engine running, but at a minimum, loss of steering. While I do not think you car fits in the time froame of this issue (yours being too new) it is a suspect area.

And of course your engine could have died for another reason, if in fact it did.

SI B 12 20 05
Engine Electrical Systems October 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin replaces SM B12 201 05 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
Loss Of Power While Decelerating And Turning Or Coming To A Stop

MODEL
E60 (5 Series), E63 and E64 (6 Series), E65 and E66 (7 Series) produced between 09/03 to 8/04 equipped with DME ME9.2.1 and 6HP26 Automatic Transmission or GS6-53BZ SMG transmission.

E60 (5 Series), E63 and E64 (6 Series), E65 and E66 (7 Series) produced between 09/04 to 12/04 equipped with DME ME9.2.2 and 6HP26 Automatic Transmission or GS6-53BZ SMG transmission

E60 (5 Series) 530i produced from start of production equipped with N52 Engine and GS6-37BZ SMG Transmission.

SITUATION
Automatic 6HP26 Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N62 only):

The customer complains the vehicle exhibits a loss of power while decelerating and turning or coming to a stop, momentarily affecting steering effort.

SMG GS6-53BZ Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N62 only):

The customer complains the vehicle exhibits a loss of power driving, the transmission switches from the D3 to M2 mode, momentarily affecting steering effort, while decelerating and turning or coming to stop.

SMG GS6-37BZ Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N52 only):

The customer complains the vehicle exhibits a loss of power driving, momentarily affecting steering effort, while decelerating and turning or coming to stop.

CAUSE
DME software calibration.

PROCEDURE
Automatic 6HP26 Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N62 only):

Vehicles produced from 9/03 to 8/04 on a customer complaint basis only, reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.1 or higher.

Vehicles produced from 9/04 to 12/04 on a customer complaint basis only, reprogram the vehicle using CIP 16.1 or higher.

SMG GS6-53BZ Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N62 Only):

Vehicles produced from 9/03 to 8/04 on a customer complaint basis only, reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.1 or higher.

Vehicles produced from 9/04 to 12/04 on a customer complaint basis only, reprogram the vehicle using CIP 16.1 or higher.

SMG GS6-37BZ Transmission Equipped Vehicles (N52 Only):

On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.1 or higher.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

After the accident the engine was turned off I have steptronic auto 6 speed
Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have read your doc. Sorry I can't help with a German translation but I have a few comments.

Honestly, I will be surprised if you will achieve anything with this (from a legal standpoint):

1. Letter is informal and not supported by police report or valid authority mechanical report.

2. The biggest mistake IMO was to drive away without calling the police. You had an accident from what you say was caused by external force mechanical failure of your car and not driver error. Since this caused damage to you and third party damage the car was obliged to stay in it's current position and the police called. BMW Service should have been the biggest priority as they could have validated at that stage the symptoms you mention. And just because you were at a point where you blocked traffic was not your concern ! Both police/BMW were obliged to arrive. A situation where injury/death or third party damage is sustained, is classified as an accident and object should remain in place unless danger exists from it remaining in it's current position. This is basic European law. By driving away you removed yourself from this basic legal enclosure and legally admitting personal/driver error.

Only thing that might help is hooking up to a BMW diagnostic console and checking history failure. This is your only legal tender at this stage. Or a possible BMW good hearted approach to this.

Sorry if this seems harsh, just offering a realistic view of how this will/can be manipulated from a legal standpoint.

I hope BMW can help you out. Good luck !
Old 07-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

My dealer supports me and as you can read in the declaration the police were informed but they didn't dispatch because of the lack of the casualties and btw I have a report from my dealer and an independant garage supporting me
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

This is a good start. But your objective is to have your car damage repaired on somebody's account but your own. If your BMW dealer is admitting (on paper) that the car's mechanical failure caused third party damage and your damage, you should send this to your insurance company and have your dealer repair your car. It is just a matter WHO pays. Dealer, Head office BMW Turkey or BMW Munchen (or you possibly).
It is your dealer therefore who should get the Field Service Engineer to investigate this mechanical failure.
Not YOU trying to organise this in the manner mentioned. To me, your BMW "support" is poor.

BTW, "support" is nothing. Factual and actual description is required with a DECISION for appropriate action.

So police in Turkey is only dispatched when there are casualties....? !

Nevertheless, good luck.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Contributors

Yes when there are casualties or if you hit another car or something thy don't give a damn if you knock down a fence I later went to my precinct to speak with them and they laughed at me when I said I wanted to pay the fence yeap you are right my dealer should worry more than me but the thing is insurances in turkey don't make other insurances pay meaning if I inform my insurance they'll pay no matter what
Old 07-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='313554' date='Jul 21 2006, 10:31 AM
Only thing that might help is hooking up to a BMW diagnostic console and checking history failure. This is your only legal tender at this stage.
Identical advice given by me in the origiginal post. But it fell on deaf ears.

ABC
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Contributors

Nope it didn' but when you gave the advise it wan't the time of inspection
Old 07-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BaranE' post='313572' date='Jul 21 2006, 11:23 AM
Nope it didn' but when you gave the advise it wan't the time of inspection
My advice was to get it done as soon after the accident as possible in case any of the states/data were overwritten.

ABC
Old 07-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Contributors

I dunno dealer won't tell me about the fault memory

Quick Reply: After The Accident