E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active steering malfuntion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

except mine is drivin constantly daily,but as someone else stated about moisture, my passenger foot well is super damp even under the floor mat for some reason,will have to try to figure out if there is a seal leak or something.but im sure once the rain stops here my asm light will not be popping up randomly anymore
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
except mine is drivin constantly daily,but as someone else stated about moisture, my passenger foot well is super damp even under the floor mat for some reason,will have to try to figure out if there is a seal leak or something.but im sure once the rain stops here my asm light will not be popping up randomly anymore
Couple problems with what you are saying having just gone through this myself... My insurance spent almost $13k to replace the main wiring harness along with every DME and module touched by water(look under my profile and you will find the thread). If your passenger side floor is "super damp" I would venture a guess that your storm drains are clogged... In order for the water to get into the passenger compartment it first has to back up and fill the ebox where 2 DME's are located. Then it backs it into the car itself and in the passenger floor you will find the ARS sensor and the Active Steering Module along with many connectors. Anything water touches may dry out eventually but the problems are many from that point on. You should worry about mold and mildew if that floor isnt dried out completely - the padding and carpet are very thick. You should also worry about corrosion in the connectors and modules.

I am not saying this is your issue, but I have been through it myself and it could produce LOOOOOONG TERM issues if its not dealt with correctly.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

My Active Steering shows a malfunction when transitioning into the cold winter months, sometimes during start-up or normal operation. About once every year at the onset of winter. The trick was to overfill the power steering reservoir past the Full mark by about 5 mm. This is a tip my Service Advisor shared with me. My issue could be related to a very small leak / evaporation issue, or the fluid volume contracts due to cold temperature. Try checking and overfilling your power steering fluid by about 5 mm to see if this easy method solves your problem. If the power steering reservoir is wet around the filling cap, you may be losing enough fluid to trigger the warning, for this, try a new O-ring on the filling cap.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Best solution to the problem...

Don't own a car with active steering
I test drove several cars with it and couldn't stand it. I feel like the steering is as light as an american car.
I like my beemer's steering to feel heavy.
On top of that I think it's just one more thing to break down...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Couple problems with what you are saying having just gone through this myself... My insurance spent almost $13k to replace the main wiring harness along with every DME and module touched by water(look under my profile and you will find the thread). If your passenger side floor is "super damp" I would venture a guess that your storm drains are clogged... In order for the water to get into the passenger compartment it first has to back up and fill the ebox where 2 DME's are located. Then it backs it into the car itself and in the passenger floor you will find the ARS sensor and the Active Steering Module along with many connectors. Anything water touches may dry out eventually but the problems are many from that point on. You should worry about mold and mildew if that floor isnt dried out completely - the padding and carpet are very thick. You should also worry about corrosion in the connectors and modules.

I am not saying this is your issue, but I have been through it myself and it could produce LOOOOOONG TERM issues if its not dealt with correctly.

wow yeah that doesn't sound fun to deal with at all, the rain here is stopping in the next few days and i will defiantly be checking into it more in depth.thats the last thing i would want to deal with is replacement of harness or any modules that's for sure.thanks for your input i appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
New Members

any solution to the problem? please post it here
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

My '04 545i experienced intermittent active steering faults until one day the failure was permanent. Turned out to be an internally broken wire at the active steering lock-out solenoid electrical connector (on steering rack). Repaired the wire and not one fault since (been about 8 months now). Many people see randon active steering faults during cold weather, so time will tell on my repair.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

I had similar problem, i recall bottoming out on a steep speed bump at my friends apartment. I had short at the electronically connector.
Here are notes from work order

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Originally Posted by DavidF
My '04 545i experienced intermittent active steering faults until one day the failure was permanent. Turned out to be an internally broken wire at the active steering lock-out solenoid electrical connector (on steering rack). Repaired the wire and not one fault since (been about 8 months now). Many people see randon active steering faults during cold weather, so time will tell on my repair.

True that! My 5er throws a fault code the first time it's driven on a cold morning, and then it's fine the rest of the day..........
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

It posted my reply twice?????