E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:44 PM
Now that the SP is available without? active steering, it's clear that BMW has gotten the message there may be many more like me who would have gotten SP had it not been grouped with the AS.
[snapback]108822[/snapback]
Agreed.

That's why BMW has made it an option. Some people will like it, some will not.

If AS was a definite improvement for everyone, it would probably be standard.

Personally, I didn't dislike it, but didn't really see a reason during my test drives that I needed it.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Mar 31 2005, 05:22 AM
[snapback]109002[/snapback]
No, not necessarily.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:22 PM
[quote name='niktee' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:44 PM']Now that the SP is available without? active steering, it's clear that BMW has gotten the message there may be many more like me who would have gotten SP had it not been grouped with the AS.
[snapback]108822[/snapback]
Agreed.

That's why BMW has made it an option. Some people will like it, some will not.

Personally, I didn't dislike it, but didn't really see a reason during my test drives that I needed it.
[snapback]109002[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't feel the need for it too.. I need to have the roadfeel with the old technology.
But I do know that there are members who love it. I think it is a personal feeling you have with it or not..
Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Guest_kscarrol_*

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:59 PM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:52 PM']Sounds like I'm not the only one who needs to "cool it".? I said nothing that requires cooling down. ? subterFUSE didn't seem to feel that my response needed to be cooled down.?? My point, other than the fact that this subject has been beaten to death in earlier threads, was that the minute someone expresses an opinion that is not in agreement w/ the majority of the members here, the offending opinion is quickly put down by a torent of counter opinions.? I only saw one person respond to Merv's thread by saying congrats on the new ride.? This was not Merv saying AS sucked or had some problem, he simply said he felt it gave him a better feel for the road, simply his opinion, no commentary on some fault in the system.? Sorry for the ranting, but let the man have his opinion.? I'm glad you guys love the AS.? I love my car without it.
[snapback]108486[/snapback]
so, if someone expresses their opinion about something why can't someone else express different opinion on the same subject? the original poster said he didn't like AS, so some other members responded and said they like the AS. What is wrong with that? if you don't like something why can't someone else say that he likes it?
[snapback]108989[/snapback]
[/quote]

Guest, don't misunderstand my comments, I have no problems with differing opinions. If you have been on this board for a while (which we don't know as you are simply posting as a guest) you have seen the sometimes heated discussions about the Active Steering option. Rather than anyone congratulating Merv on his new car, the focus was instead some need to counter his opinion about AS. And he didn't really say anything bad about it, simply that he felt the standard steering gave him a better feel for the road. We have beaten this dead horse over and over again. Those with the AS love it, that's great, I'm happy for them. How about we focus on Merv and his new car. As for the AS, Merv is one of the few who have owned both and not just taken test drives in both. I think his opinion carries a bit more weight on the subject because of that. I have never been very vocal about my dislike of AS because other than a couple of admitedlly short test drives prior top my purchase, I have no experience with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Members

I was driving the car into a corner, slowing down, and the steering ratio changed while I was turning..... a sharper turning response than expected can easily cause curbed wheels...

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:17 PM
I just don't understand how AS translates into curbed wheels??

But having a on/off switch would be a cool idea.
[snapback]108761[/snapback]
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 29 2005, 10:30 PM
Now I have no basis for this but I think BMW resolved the AS issue in two steps.

1) Probably around March 04 they changed or redesigned some hardware in the AS system which brought back the straight line stability that was missing and got rid of the twitching that many experienced.

2) August or September 2004 they dial down the ratio with CIP 13x to give us the current AS feel.

I drove many miles in excess of 120mph in Europe and never experienced a lack of stability.? I did find the low speed ratio,? while convenient when parking,? somewhat un-natural.? I never really got a chance to get used to it because on US re-delivery I got CIP 13.2.
[snapback]108542[/snapback]
I am not trying to restart a pro versus con on AS. I have acknowleged that early AS deployments were unatural in feel. It is however pertinent to this thread that I quote from the May 2005 issue of Car and Driver where in a comparison test of luxury sedans they noted the following on AS.

"BMW has re-calibrated its active steering system, or have we just become sensitized to it? Whatever the answer is, this car had steering with the bionic sense of BMWs of old.."
Old 04-16-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:06 PM
I am not trying to restart a pro versus con on AS.? I have acknowleged that early AS deployments were unatural in feel.? It is however pertinent to this thread that I quote from the May 2005 issue of Car and Driver where in a comparison test of luxury sedans they noted the following on AS.

"BMW has re-calibrated its active steering system, or have we just become sensitized to it? Whatever the answer is, this car had steering with the bionic sense of BMWs of old.."
[snapback]109633[/snapback]
This Active Steering post is most interesting. Aside from the fact that others (Lexus, etc.) have copied the concept from BMW, one may want to consider why cars were not designed this way in the first place. In a fixed ratio steering system, it may require more than one turn lock to lock of the steering wheel to make certain turns.

It seems to me more natural, convenient and safe to turn the steering wheel no more than one rotation to navigate any turn in the car (which requires variable ratio steering). To implement this kind of steering requires complex gearing (certainly available in the late 1800s when the original cars were designed), but added cost and expense to design and build them. Certainly the focus on the original cars was on the powerplant (steam engines, original internal combustion engines) and the mechanicals (suspension, etc.) were little evolved from horse drawn carriages.

After 100+ yrs, cars now have AS, but nearly everyone learned to drive with the old fixed ratio steering, so "change" is needed to appreciate the virtues of AS. If it had started this way (all cars from day 1 having AS), it is doubtful that many would be complaining about it.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:12 PM
[quote name='Canada545' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:16 PM']You're just trying to get into a fight?
[snapback]108400[/snapback]
Where's urbo73 when you need him?...
[snapback]108453[/snapback]
[/quote]

After a 2 month hiatus overseas, I'm BACK baby - I'm BACK!

Looks like nothing has changed! I thought before I left that we all agreed AS sucked!
Old 04-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Members

I love the AS -- I feel much more in control at low speeds. At high speeds there seems to be no difference at all.

AS, Active Roll Stabilization and SMG -- I love them all. I wish I had HUD since that also seems like a truly useful innovation.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Apr 16 2005, 06:01 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:12 PM'][quote name='Canada545' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:16 PM']You're just trying to get into a fight?
[snapback]108400[/snapback]
Where's urbo73 when you need him?...
[snapback]108453[/snapback]
[/quote]

After a 2 month hiatus overseas, I'm BACK baby - I'm BACK!

Looks like nothing has changed! I thought before I left that we all agreed AS sucked!
[snapback]116161[/snapback]
[/quote]
Welcome back urbo73! Where were you overseas, in a cave or something? Wait a minute, something tells me they have internet in caves these days...

Active Steering = "Less Filling"

Quick Reply: Active Steering!