E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Mar 29 2005, 11:42 PM
Generally speaking, I think you can better predict and execute your turns w/o AS.? My car doesn't hv it, but its turns are crisp and precise.? I love not having it (not that I had a choice, car came w/o it)...heh.
[snapback]108505[/snapback]

I'm sure you love your car as I love mine, but saying you love not having AS because your car did not come with it does not make sense. AS is a new feature that all of use have lived without until now. Just like SMG or bluetooth. New technology makes driving safer and more fun. I have had 3 software updates so far which have affected how the AS on my car feels, it is much tighter now than it was when I took delivery. I can honestly say that since my last update I would never buy a BMW without AS if it were offered. They have finally figured out how to offer the best of both worlds. For those of you who have not driven a recent version of AS I suggest you try it. You just might be supprised.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 17 2005, 04:55 AM
Welcome back urbo73!? Where were you overseas, in a cave or something?? Wait a minute, something tells me they have internet in caves these days...
[snapback]116212[/snapback]
Old 04-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Apr 16 2005, 07:19 PM
For those of you who have not driven a recent version of AS I suggest you try it. You just might be supprised.
[snapback]116213[/snapback]
Which version is that?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 16 2005, 10:55 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Apr 16 2005, 06:01 PM'][quote name='Rudy' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:12 PM'][quote name='Canada545' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:16 PM']You're just trying to get into a fight?
[snapback]108400[/snapback]
Where's urbo73 when you need him?...
[snapback]108453[/snapback]
[/quote]

After a 2 month hiatus overseas, I'm BACK baby - I'm BACK!

Looks like nothing has changed! I thought before I left that we all agreed AS sucked!
[snapback]116161[/snapback]
[/quote]
Welcome back urbo73! Where were you overseas, in a cave or something? Wait a minute, something tells me they have internet in caves these days...

Active Steering = "Less Filling"
[snapback]116212[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ha. Yes, I was in Romania traveling around. I had Internet access at times of course, but other than check my email, I didn't want to waste too much time on the Net. Now I'm catching up - at work In Romania I saw some E60 drivers. All drove around with their mirrors folded for fear of getting them swiped by other cars since everyone drives about 5 inches from you!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Having now driven a number of miles in a non AS E60 I can honestly say that I don't miss it. I'm not saying ones better than the other, I'm saying if E60 customers are about to order and there is a choice or spending ?850 (Approx cost in UK as a stand alone option) on AS or say Logic 7 I would take the L7 or other useful options to the value of. I see in the US that AS is part of a sport package so its probably good value for money but in the UK/Rest of Europe I would save the money as the non AS has quite a quick steering ration and feels go-cart like at speed! Just my HO
Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Members

Congrats on your new car merv

Just wondering if anyone knows why BMW will offer active steering on a 3 series, 5 series and 6 series but not on their flagship 7 series?? Lack of active steering on the 7 was one of the main reasons why we actually went for the 5 series, Active steering is just pure amazing. For some odd reason, the steering on the 5 seemed to be way more tighter without active steering than on the 7 series (ofcourse without active steering), anyone feel the same way? were looking into getting the 7 series for those long family trips, but trying to justify the purchase since driving wise, 5 series seems to be the most reliable and safest car due to the active steering specifically. But for passenger enjoyment, 7 would be the best fit since it has more space in the back and more entertainment for the backseat.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Merv is doing a good thing by posting about his experience with and without AS and his preference of his new non-AS car. However, this forum is not just for the E60 owners, but also for many who are considering purchasing the E60. For them it is necessary to have all opinions and supporting facts before they decide one way or the other. I don't see how the people who responded in support of AS are bashing anyone or their opinion. Merv has a valid point that his old E60's AS was not stable at times, etc., but if those of us who know that BMW made BOTH hardware and software changes to correct this problem did not post these facts then the potential E60 buyers reading this post will get a one sided and incomplete opinion of AS. They would not know that BMW's hardware and software solutions were successfull in making the AS cars rock solid at high speeds. When all the facts are discussed out in the open then people can make more informed decisions about their potential purchase of the E60. If they are in the market for an early production used E60 they may decide to stay away from AS, while those who are considering newer ones will know that the stability issues have been addressed.

As far as I am concerned there was no bashing of anyone, just a bunch of people with equally valid opinions with the intention of getting ALL the facts out.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:44 PM
Active steering is the only reason I didn't order the sports package.? Now that the SP is available without? active steering, it's clear that BMW has gotten the message there may be many more like me who would have gotten SP had it not been grouped with the AS.
[snapback]108822[/snapback]

exactly what I was going to post.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My 545iS is a 9/04 production. The AS is without a doubt one of my top three favorite options on the car. I would not buy another BMW without AS. It has always been very stable and "BMW like" at higher speeds. I don't notice any deficiencies when comparing the steering feel to my other current and previous BMW's listed below in my sig. The only deficiencies are with my other BMW's steerings......everytime I drive the E39, the X5, AND even the M3 the steering ratios make it feel like I am driving a truck.......YES even the M3's steering feels like a truck. I am not saying this because they have less assist......I am strictly talking about the ratio and overall steering feel. From the first moment that I drove my car during my Euro delivery the AS was very noticeable......there was no doubt that something was different.........I liked it from the first moment. When I took redelivery of my car here in California I did not drive any of the other cars for a few days. The first time that I went back to one of my other cars it was a total shock as to how weird THEIR steering was and how awsome the E60's AS was.

So that's my personal experience and opinion.....do with it what you will. As I said before I would never buy another BMW without AS if I had a choice.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='May 2 2005, 06:11 AM
So that's my personal experience and opinion.....do with it what you will.? As I said before I would never buy another BMW without AS if I had a choice.
To be honest it was one of the main reasons why I bought mine. At the time it was the only car that had the mix of comfort, looks, sportiness and technology! (And IMHO still has!)

Quick Reply: Active Steering!