E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I just don't understand how AS translates into curbed wheels?

But having a on/off switch would be a cool idea.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Mar 29 2005, 04:58 PM
Doesn't Porsche offer something similar on there new 997 where it varies the steering????
[snapback]108440[/snapback]
First, I have AS and think it's wonderful.

Yes, Porsche does have variable steering ratio on the 997. And, yes, there are varying opinions on it (as well as on the new active suspension management, and just about all new technology introduced...sound familiar?!!). Not speed dependent like the E60, though. The ratio around the center position (i.e. for small movements of the steering wheel) is similar to previous Carreras (17.1:1). The steering ratio becomes more direct with steering wheel movements of more than 30 degrees from center (up to 13.8:1 for a steering wheel revolution of more than three quarters).
Old 03-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Hi Merv,
You say you got your new ride from Benhams in Wolverhampton.
These are likely to be on my list of service cntres as I work in Willenhall.
How do you rate their performance - their salesmen seem quite snotty in my opinion so far.
Regards
Andy - Newport
Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Active steering is the only reason I didn't order the sports package. Now that the SP is available without active steering, it's clear that BMW has gotten the message there may be many more like me who would have gotten SP had it not been grouped with the AS.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Volvo Driver' date='Mar 30 2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Merv,
You say you got your new ride from Benhams in Wolverhampton.
These are likely to be on my list of service cntres as I work in Willenhall.
How do you rate their performance - their salesmen seem quite snotty in my opinion so far.
Regards
Andy - Newport
[snapback]108805[/snapback]
Hi Andy,

They're a good bunch on the whole - better than Rydale, Oldbury. My advise is don't stand for any sh*t off them and they will treat you with respect. They obviously sell plenty of cars as each salesman wears a Rolex (yes the second hand sweeps) Any promises made by them needs to be in writing otherwise the amnesia can set in

Rgds

Mark
Old 03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

Nice pics on the speedos.

Are they both 545s? I know one is an SMG. I wonder if the engine or transmission type can determine what the RPMs at max is (I guess both cars are speed limited).

This makes me want to take my 545 on a track and let 'er rip.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Mar 30 2005, 02:06 PM
Nice pics on the speedos.

Are they both 545s?? I know one is an SMG.? I wonder if the engine or transmission type can determine what the RPMs at max is (I guess both cars are speed limited).

[snapback]108850[/snapback]
Mine is a 545i with SMG and yes, they are speed limited. But, you also have protection on max RPMs as well. My pic is the one with 250 kph and 5k RPMs.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:36 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Mar 30 2005, 04:34 PM
[quote name='KenTO' date='Mar 30 2005, 02:06 PM']Nice pics on the speedos.

Are they both 545s?? I know one is an SMG.? I wonder if the engine or transmission type can determine what the RPMs at max is (I guess both cars are speed limited).

[snapback]108850[/snapback]
Mine is a 545i with SMG and yes, they are speed limited. But, you also have protection on max RPMs as well. My pic is the one with 250 kph and 5k RPMs.
[snapback]108868[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, mine is also a 545, but with the steptronic -- the pic with the higher RPM. Mine was delivered a day after Agent99's. I hit the limiter on numerous occasions. Even on downhills it would not gain additional speed and maintained the limiter speed even on a slight uphill. The car is rock solid at that speed.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like I'm not the only one who needs to "cool it".? I said nothing that requires cooling down. ? subterFUSE didn't seem to feel that my response needed to be cooled down.? My point, other than the fact that this subject has been beaten to death in earlier threads, was that the minute someone expresses an opinion that is not in agreement w/ the majority of the members here, the offending opinion is quickly put down by a torent of counter opinions.? I only saw one person respond to Merv's thread by saying congrats on the new ride.? This was not Merv saying AS sucked or had some problem, he simply said he felt it gave him a better feel for the road, simply his opinion, no commentary on some fault in the system.? Sorry for the ranting, but let the man have his opinion.? I'm glad you guys love the AS.? I love my car without it.
[snapback]108486[/snapback]
so, if someone expresses their opinion about something why can't someone else express different opinion on the same subject? the original poster said he didn't like AS, so some other members responded and said they like the AS. What is wrong with that? if you don't like something why can't someone else say that he likes it?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:30 AM
I respect Mervthederve's right not prefer AS...as for myself with, So. California traffic and downtown commuting....there's nothing like AS!? I think once you get used to it you learn to anticipate it's sensitivity and scoot around traffic like go-cart wannabe!
[snapback]108553[/snapback]

I agree it's a matter of personal preference. I'll try to test drive an E60 without active steering to check it out. My impression of Active Steering and Suspension is they are amazing technologies that will impress most people. Some people however will prefer the more direct feedback of conventional steering and suspension.

I do find AS 'disconnects' you a bit from the steering feel, and the Active Suspension makes it difficult to gage g-forces and limits. However, it is just awesome to flick the car back and forth with slight movements of the steering wheel, or to slide the back end of the car in a turn with no body lean. I'll test one of the 'non' versions and come back with an opinion.

Quick Reply: Active Steering!