E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I truly apologize if I mislead anyone into thinking that was my pic. It is <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NOT</span>.
That was borrowed from Agent99's ED thread. Its very credible if you have 6 gears and I used it to try and demonstrate that perhaps early build cars had flawed Active Steering implementations which have probably been fixed now.

I am not fanactical one way or another about AS as some on this forum are. I have it and do not find it takes away from the feel of the Ultimate Driving Machine. I drive a 6spd manual so feedback is clearly important to me. I might well have shared the views of Ken, Merv, URBO and others had I driven an earlier build car.
Now I have no basis for this but I think BMW resolved the AS issue in two steps.

1) Probably around March 04 they changed or redesigned some hardware in the AS system which brought back the straight line stability that was missing and got rid of the twitching that many experienced.

2) August or September 2004 they dial down the ratio with CIP 13x to give us the current AS feel.

I drove many miles in excess of 120mph in Europe and never experienced a lack of stability. I did find the low speed ratio, while convenient when parking, somewhat un-natural. I never really got a chance to get used to it because on US re-delivery I got CIP 13.2.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Contributors

I respect Mervthederve's right not prefer AS...as for myself with, So. California traffic and downtown commuting....there's nothing like AS! I think once you get used to it you learn to anticipate it's sensitivity and scoot around traffic like go-cart wannabe!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

oooh this thread is all a bit SERIOUS isn't it??

AS is an option on a list and is totally personal preference, i think you will either like it or dislike it depending on how you like to drive and i think this is why bmw make it available as an option rather than standard, servotronic steering is now std on 2005/06 models. Different people like different driving styles.

It is interesting to note that bmw do not offer AS on the Euro M-Sport models or the M5, guess this must be something todo with the m-sports suspension setup, anyone know for sure?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Mar 30 2005, 04:21 AM
oooh this thread is all a bit SERIOUS isn't it??

AS is an option on a list and is totally personal preference, i think you will either like it or dislike it depending on how you like to drive and i think this is why bmw make it available as an option rather than standard, servotronic steering is now std on 2005/06 models. Different people like different driving styles.

It is interesting to note that bmw do not offer AS on the Euro M-Sport models or the M5, guess this must be something todo with the m-sports suspension setup, anyone know for sure?
[snapback]108569[/snapback]
NM,

AS is available on the sport models. Not sure about M5 -doubt it

Merv
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

subterFUSE didn't seem to feel that my response needed to be cooled down.

Correct... I don't think ANYONE's post needs to be cooled down. I just don't give a flying rats ass one way or another.

My post wasn't a bash. The guy said that his AS car had "issues" with high speeds. I saw this as a post that could potentially turn off a non-E60 owner. I felt I would post my experience which has been 180 degrees opposite. I personally don't see the problem with that.

The "your color sucks" comment I made was a joke, and kscarrol obviously understood that.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

.............is it over?....

Take it easy guys....not everyone is the same. AS is great, considering it's objectives....some people just don't want/need those objectives fullfilled for some reason or other - that's all.

Both E60's with or without AS are super for me.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:02 AM
The guy simply expresed his opinion, which he is entitled to.? We have had this debate before, those of you w/ AS love it.? I know you guys w/ AS find this hard to? believe, but there are actually some of us out here who don't care for it.? No need to beat him up for his opinion, he really didn't criticize the AS.? Might as well criticize our color choices as well.
[snapback]108442[/snapback]
kscarrol, you are right, it was only an opinion expressed. I personally love AS. It's perfect in all conidtions except the intermittent failure due to starting the car twice in succession. I beleive the software needs tweaking fruther to meet certain situations which were not considered earlier... otherwise, the fluidtronics has a defect from manufacturing... bimmer will then need to take a look at it. However, I really love using AS.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to point out that the speedo pic is, indeed, my pic.

I have the SMG and it was, indeed, in 6th gear.

My HUD read out 152 mph and I could go no further. I'm pretty sure I was hitting the speed limiter but it wasn't as bad as what we have in the E39 where the engine kind of konks out and semi-dies on you. It was much more sublte than that. I literally had the gas pedal floored and the car would not go any faster than what my HUD told me.

My buddy in the passenger seat obviously took the pic owing to the angle. Too bad none of the LED readouts came out clearly or you could see a "D6" in there for the gear I was in.

I'm wondering if I had it in 5th gear if it would have gotten a few more mphs?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:56 AM
GPS
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:08 AM
Just got new E60 without active steering and don't miss it at all!? No disrespect to those who have it but the conventional set up is far superior and just like my old E39 - Its superb. Ok parking is a bit easier with AS but under round town driving (20 - 30MPH) the twirling is only a few inches more than active. The main difference is out on the country lanes where the steering has the feel of the old model very direct with loads of feed back. The AS IMHO felt disconected. I would advise anyone about to buy an E60 to leave it well off the options list.
[snapback]108397[/snapback]
Merv,

have you got the DD?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Members

After one drive in my friends 545i sport, and if I had the the choice, I would have gone without the AS.... I really wanted the sport package though, so AS will be there....

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm more worried about when my wife drives the car, I'm almost certain that she will curb the wheels....

Since the ratio is computer controlled, they should give the option turn it off... like changing sport mode, or traction control.....

Quick Reply: Active Steering!