E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I learned from your comments that the 2006 non AS models have a different steering ratio than the 04 - 05 non AS models. I know that some 06's are being delivered and driven. Those of you with 06 550s with sport package and non AS or with AS please comment about your driving impressions.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 8 2005, 06:13 PM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 8 2005, 08:27 PM']I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake?
[snapback]181343[/snapback]
Try it yourself. Get a demo car with AS and find out if you like it.
Some ppl love it, some hate it.

It is definately more than just a parking aid! It is a safety feature.

It was last years "innovation of the year" and all car manufacturers are now copying it!
[snapback]181411[/snapback]
[/quote]

No one who's had AS for any length of time will "hate it." Reviwers who have the car for a couple of hours might "hate it." Anyone else would never again want to drive without it; in fact, you feel like it's a giant step down in the driving process when stuck with a normal-steering car. If you're enough of an enthusiast to get the 545 stick, you wouldn't dream of not getting the AS. If you want a non-sport sedan technology and want to avoid AS, why are you looking at the 5? You should be getting the M45, GS 430, or E500. I'm amazed there's any demand for a 545/550 without AS.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by pben545' date='Oct 10 2005, 11:27 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Oct 8 2005, 06:13 PM'][quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 8 2005, 08:27 PM']I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake?

It was last years "innovation of the year" and all car manufacturers are now copying it!
[/quote]

No one who's had AS for any length of time will "hate it." Reviwers who have the car for a couple of hours might "hate it." Anyone else would never again want to drive without it; in fact, you feel like it's a giant step down in the driving process when stuck with a normal-steering car. If you're enough of an enthusiast to get the 545 stick, you wouldn't dream of not getting the AS. If you want a non-sport sedan technology and want to avoid AS, why are you looking at the 5? You should be getting the M45, GS 430, or E500. I'm amazed there's any demand for a 545/550 without AS.
[snapback]182508[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are actually a handful of drivers on this forum who have had both and prefer non-AS. Merv the Derv is one of them. Funny you should claim that AS is somehow for a sport sedan yet legendary traditional BMW steering is not - it is in the most sporting driving situations that AS shows us its warts. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2638&hl= So actually, if you don't think you'll ever really push the car, you're probably safe with an AS car. Otherwise, omit it.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:53 PM
I learned from your comments that the 2006 non AS models have a different steering ratio than the 04 - 05 non AS models.? I know that some 06's are being delivered and driven. Those of you with 06 550s with sport package and non AS or with AS please comment about your driving impressions.
[snapback]182485[/snapback]

Well, not exactly... I certainly was not claiming that there was a steering ratio change for 2006. If you read the Dynamic Drive (ARS) .pdf that is floating around this forum, there is a graph that charts the lateral acceleration vs. steering angle on DD vs. non-DD cars. It shows that the DD cars require far less steering angle to achieve a given lateral acceleration compared to a non-DD (ARS) car.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I think each of us has chosen the e60 for different reasons. My two cents is, the AS is part of the overall luxurious yet sporting character of the car -- and it makes parking a snap. And, guess what, I spend a lot more time parking than I do running laps on the Nurburgring.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I liked the active steering when I test drove the 545. I think I will probably not get it for two reasons: 1. The additional cost. I just keep adding and adding and adding. 2. One reason I am considering selling my e46 M3 and moving to the 5 series is that my wife will not drive my M3, but I'm sure she will drive the 5 series as she drive my previous 5. And I need to use her SUV on occasion. I am very concerned that she would drive the active steering 5 into a curb and I would have to deal with rim repair (or replacement).
Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by pben545' date='Oct 10 2005, 11:27 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Oct 8 2005, 06:13 PM'][quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 8 2005, 08:27 PM']I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake?

[/quote]

[snapback]182508[/snapback]
[/quote]
For 2006, AS was removed from the sport package and it would be interesting to see how many people will add AS option to their sport e60s. Non-sport e60 still handles much better than M45 or E500 ( I did not try GS 430 yet). BMW is a sport sedan by definition with or without AS . I am the one who tried AS in the short test drive and did not like it. I would probably get used to it but I liked the road feel and feedback from the e60 without AS.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

I posted the following on the M5 message board thinking it was the e60 discussion board so forgive the duplication if you read both.

Everyone, incuding me, seems to agree that AS is worthy of having for slow speed driving around town and parking lots. A lot of you have commented that you mainly drive slow and love your AS. I mainly drive slow too. But, I also often (at least twice a week) push my car on curvy roads (I have a favorite) and brake hard approaching the turn and accelerate through the apex. This is the same way auto journalist test these cars and have often complained about the changing ratio of AS.

Given that AS is fantastic for those that mainly drive slow and love the conveinience, what about the times when you push your car. If you never push your car as described above then no need to comment. But for those that push, does AS take away from the pleasure or does it deminish the awesome steering feel that BMW is known for during aggressive driving? It is this driving style and situation that concerns me about AS. I too love it around town.

I can put up with some inconvenience driving around town in order to not ruin my "fun" driving time.

I look forward to comments.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 AM
JDN
Contributors

When I tracked my 545, I had an instructor with me. The instructor took it around the track first with me in the passenger seat. When finished, I asked him how the active steering affected him. He responded that he wasn't aware of the active steering at all. In subsequent runs with me at the wheel, I never felt handicapped by the active steering.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:54 AM
When I tracked my 545, I had an instructor with me. The instructor took it around the track first with me in the passenger seat. When finished, I asked him how the active steering affected him. He responded that he wasn't aware of the active steering at all. In subsequent runs with me at the wheel, I never felt handicapped by the active steering.
[snapback]182691[/snapback]
Thanks JDN. What year AS do you have?

Quick Reply: Active Steering