E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first drove a 5er with active steering when the E60 was first released. Some of you may remember that those very early versions were over-boosted at low speeds and lacked BMW's traditional road feel. I hated it after my first test drive. In spite of AS, I bought the car a few months later. But one of the subsequent software releases (was it 11?) included a significant upgrade to the AS programming, and I started to like it.

Anyway, today I drove an Infiniti M45 Sport. Nice car, but boy have I forgotten what it's like driving a non-AS car. It felt absolutely primitive!! Any of you who have AS and question it should try a non-AS car again. You'll never wonder about AS again.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

I hear you - whenever i try & take wifey's merc out of the underground carpark - i find myself in danger of ramming the car into the pillars - 'cos i forget that i have to turn the wheel so much more.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:09 PM
RAI
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Oct 7 2005, 10:10 PM
I first drove a 5er with active steering when the E60 was first released.? Some of you may remember that those very early versions were over-boosted at low speeds and lacked BMW's traditional road feel.? I hated it after my first test drive.? In spite of AS, I bought the car a few months later.? But one of the subsequent software releases (was it 11?) included a significant upgrade to the AS programming, and I started to like it.

Anyway, today I drove an Infiniti M45 Sport.? Nice car, but boy have I forgotten what it's like driving a non-AS car.? It felt absolutely primitive!!? Any of you who have AS and question it should try a non-AS car again.? You'll never wonder about AS again.
[snapback]181157[/snapback]

Agreed! AS makes my car feel like a sports car. In the 11/05 issue of Motor Trend, they said:

Who needs this? Except for ten-tenths circumstances like our figure-eight romp, we do. On our wiggly back road, the 3850 pound BMW darts to new headings as if it's a sticky-tired shifter kart. Until Active Steer, you'd simply never realize until now how much you have to "lead" even a conventional stort sedan's steering. Imperfect as it is at the limit, we'd wager it tallies lots more plusses than minuses in the real world.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I can't understand the media's largely critical reception of AS. It's wonderful. At 10 10ths I can see that it would bother track drivers, but for 99% of owners, myself included, it's a dream.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

To me, the introduction of Active Steering is similar to the introduction of power steering ... way back in the 80s (??).

Eventually Active Steering will become an industry norm and standard.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I drove the M45 after having driven the AS E60 for a while and BOY did I not like how the M45 drove... Steering wasnot communicative and waaaaaay too much turning!

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:42 PM
[snapback]181178[/snapback]

Ya I think so too... many Japanes companies are developting a version of AS already...

Read this... on the Lexus LX470

"The Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) system can vary the rack-and-pinion steering ratio to improve maneuverability at low speeds and preserve control at highway speeds. The overall steering ratio varies from 12.4-to-1 to 18.0-to-1. In slow, tight maneuvering (under 6 mph), the system provides 2.4 turns lock-to-lock. A computer-controlled actuator on the intermediate steering shaft increases the driver's steering angle at low vehicle speeds, quickening the steering ratio. At higher speeds, the mechanism rotates slightly in the opposite direction of steering input to decrease the total steering angle, resulting in a "slower" steering ratio desirable for a more controlled handling response. In addition, tooth spacing on the gears of the rack becomes wider toward the end, reducing steering effort at higher steering angles.

The VGRS system's operation is transparent to the driver. To help enhance safety, VGRS selects a higher steering ratio if the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system is activated. This helps to prevent too large of a steering angle if the driver is attempting to avoid an obstacle. The 39.1-ft. turning circle is commendable for a large luxury vehicle. "

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/...tml?id=20050513
Old 10-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:42 PM
To me, the introduction of Active Steering is similar to the introduction of power steering ... way back in the 80s (??).?

[snapback]181178[/snapback]
Agreed. Porsche introduced a similar system in their latest Carrera (997).
Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake? Is not the steering on the 5 series still perfect without it other than making parking lot driving easier.

I am trying to cut back somewhere (this seems to be one of the few cutbacks). My 550i spec with sport pac, permium sound, sat. radio, sun shades, m aero kit, comfort seats, comfort access, navigation, and head-up display is already over $70,000 MSRP.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 8 2005, 11:27 AM
I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake? Is not the steering on the 5 series still perfect without it other than making parking lot driving easier.

I am trying to cut back somewhere (this seems to be one of the few cutbacks). My 550i spec with sport pac, permium sound, sat. radio, sun shades, m aero kit, comfort seats, comfort access, navigation, and head-up display is already over $70,000 MSRP.? ? ?
[snapback]181343[/snapback]
I wholeheartedly recommend you try and see if you like it. Also, you shouldn't think AS is just about parking convenience - it's an excellent option that you will benefit from every time you drive.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Oct 8 2005, 11:55 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend you try and see if you like it.? Also, you shouldn't think AS is just about parking convenience - it's an excellent option that you will benefit from every time you drive.
[snapback]181347[/snapback]

I agree. Try it out. it doesnt take away from the driving experience at all. At high speeds > 30 mph the steering is great!! Its just at slow speeds it has quicker turn in.

And for those that keep saying LQQK at the M5 they didnt put AS on it. RIGHT. but the steering ratio is much faster on the M5 than the regular production 5 series making the steering turn in better. And it still has servotronic to assist you in slow speeds. I know you guys dont care about parking but its good info. In parking speeds and because of the faster steering speed of the M5 + servotronic you're going to turn less in a parking lot with a M5 than you would in a E60 w/out AS and of course even less with a car with AS.

On the M5 the mean ratio is 12.4 : 1

Where as in the Regular production is: 14.1 : 1

and cars with AS: In slow speed the ratio is a quick 10 : 1 and The ratio slows progressively to 18 : 1 in more-or-less normal conditions, and a bit more ? 20 : 1 ? at high speed so that a twitch won't put you into the ditch.

Quick Reply: Active Steering